Hey Old Linemen.....What happened to the O-Line?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a combination of several things:

1.  Youth - our young guys finally getting some experience

2.  Gel - our guys getting to actually play some football together

3.  Jamaal Charles - Ever since he went down, the Chiefs aren't afraid to run their young guys into the ground.  As a result, the play-action gets more time for Alex Smith, leading to

better blocking when the defense doesn't know what we are gonna do.

4.  Attitude - Reid put out "the five nastiest guys" he had and it has worked.

I don't want to bring everyone down when they're finally up, but this report stood out to me.

Players say the #Bills decided to contain Alex Smith, play more coverage than blitz. Backfired badly. Team credited for zero QB hits.

Offensive linemen always look better when defenders slow down their pass rush.

That's the tactic that teams began using against Kaepernick because he couldn't read secondaries well. It was the wrong tactic to use against Smith.

I don't want to bring everyone down when they're finally up, but this report stood out to me.

Offensive linemen always look better when defenders slow down their pass rush.

That's the tactic that teams began using against Kaepernick because he couldn't read secondaries well. It was the wrong tactic to use against Smith.

If the line is great, we want them to blitz leaving few people in coverage. Then Smith would be able to read it and have time because of the line and have fewer defenders out there and more yards after the catch potential.

But if the line is not good or the quarterback does not trust his line, then blitzing is a problem because they either get to the quarterback or the quarterback runs early or throws too short or throws away often. Is the problem we had dinner losing streak. For some reason, the team with JJ Watt was the one early game where they didn't get to us much. I think people took that as the line being better or good enough and the quarterback failing. Everybody was failing in the losing streak, quarterback, defense, the line and coaching.

In the case of a bad line, you would want, if you have a smart quarterback, to have fewer rushes against you. With the quarterback who isn't a smart but relies on his legs, you would want the blitzers so you don't have to read as much out there in coverage and if you escape the first line, you are free to run.

I think it was due to Bills decision not to blitz. Very fearful of Alex Smiths scrambling so they plated contain and not pass rush. JMHOP

Agree.  After watching last Monday's game against the Pats, I thought the Bills would blitz Smith more against the Chiefs sorry line.  The Bills board really lit up after the game about the coaching.  A lot was about the lack of challenging but some of the more reasonable posters pointed out that Smith had better protection and the Bills didn't blitz.  After losing Morse and Fisher, the Chiefs were ripe for blitzing and still the Bills laid back.  It's good to blame the losing coaches when it's the other teams'.

Smiths best weapon is his ability to scramble.  This has to be cause for concern to any defensive coordinator who elects to blitz.  The screen pass dump offs  have not been really effective in controlling the blitz ever since Jamal Charles went down.   KC offensive line has shown they have very difficult time controlling the blitz. 

Very little is ever written in here about Alex Smith's ability to scramble.  Folks choosing to focus on his lack of downfield passing or ANYTHING associated with his name.  It reminds me of the 5 million Carl Peterson sucks threads we endured a few years back.  Smith can pass down the field when he is not coming under furious defensive attack.  A defensive linebacker has to respect his ability to run.  It is a big problem for opposing defenses.

Smith's scrambling sure did save some possessions in the last game and that's a big plus.  One thing I've noticed is that when he runs to his right, he seldom sees the receivers opening up downfield and usually just throws the ball out of bounds to the right.  Some QBs throw on the run and some don't so well.  Smith fits the second group.  Guess missing a wide open Kelce on Sunday stands out, but it happens a lot.

Smith's best weapon is his brain....

The Chiefs are a good team at "making adjustments.

Expect a tough first half.....

KC must eliminate "brain dead penalties" ( off sides on the punt?")  and NO TURNOVERS.

w

I think its a combination of several things:

1. Youth - our young guys finally getting some experience

2. Gel - our guys getting to actually play some football together

3. Jamaal Charles - Ever since he went down, the Chiefs aren't afraid to run their young guys into the ground. As a result, the play-action gets more time for Alex Smith, leading to

better blocking when the defense doesn't know what we are gonna do.

4. Attitude - Reid put out "the five nastiest guys" he had and it has worked.

Great take. #3 was a head scratcher. We run more without Charles? But yeah, that makes sense.

I think the play calling has changed mostly due to the better line play. But one feeds off of the other.

Great take. #3 was a head scratcher. We run more without Charles? But yeah, that makes sense.

I think the play calling has changed mostly due to the better line play. But one feeds off of the other.

When Charles is in there, Reid is tempted to call passes to him instead. Or use him as a decoy, run or pass, which that will result in more passes.

Add in the fact that despite sometimes having the runs set up the pass, a lot of our recent games have been blowouts where we are going to run more to run the clock out. That's one reason the number has gone up. With Charles in there, we didn't have many games to run the clock out.

LDT was inexperienced, but the guy moves well for a man of his size. Morse was inexperienced, but has improved to the #10 center per pff. Jah Reid is our worst guy on the line, but he has a nasty attitude. Allen has played surprisingly well, in his contract season. Grubbs sucked, and that may have been due to a lingering injury. Either way, he is on the shelf for now. All this helps.

The offense play calling is putting Alex Smith in a position where he can do his thing.

Charles was a good blocker. Ware and West have taken it to another level. Both those guys will hit. Ware had some fantastic blocks in the game Sunday.

Eraser,  I think you overlooked the improvement of Eric Fisher which has been a big plus this year.

Perhaps i have. He is better. You don't have to win every time. Most times you can just avoid getting beat bad, and that's a win. He isn't getting beat badly, and smith is athletic enough to get positive yards.

Attitude.

I don't think KC has a line that is filled with skill nor have they suddenly become good, but they have become solid as a unit because they are allowed to play nasty. The commitment to downhill running is the biggest part of this in my opinion. Lineman love to hit people squarely in the mouth, and they are finally getting to do that. Add in two physical runners behind them that want to smash the opposition just as much, and it breeds a whole new attitude on offense. They are aggressive and it shows. Instead of waiting for the defense to come to them, they are taking their lunch pails and going at the defense. The passing game has reflected this as well, becoming much more aggressive. The Chiefs have found a recipe for winning in the trenches that needs to continue.

Football Outsiders' updated offensive line rankings continue to tell two completely different stories about the Chiefs' offensive line.

Chiefs' run blocking: 5th in the league

Chiefs' pass blocking: 29th in the league

The line's ranking may be suppressed as it is atoning for its sins earlier in the season.

Meanwhile, the Raiders have achieved a best-in-league ranking for pass protection.

Football Outsiders' updated offensive line rankings continue to tell two completely different stories about the Chiefs' offensive line.

The line's ranking may be suppressed as it is atoning for its sins earlier in the season.

Meanwhile, the Raiders have achieved a best-in-league ranking for pass protection.

I watched a couple of Raider replays. Their offense is really good. Oline is very good. Can run it too. 

Defense not good at all. Chiefs need to control the clock, run well , field position and keep that Raider offense off the field. Fortunately that is what KC does.

Better find a way to get to Carr, or it will be a real long day.

Agree:   Kc needs to keep him on the sidelines. He is mobile & the oline is very good in protection. Three good receivers. Defense not good so KC can execute their offense and control the clock. Oak Spec Teams not great either.

Shut up!! you are another "Gloom and Doom" fan! The Raiders better find a way to contain Smith, West, Ware, Maclin, Kelce & Conley or it's gonna be a long day for them. Cali you come here and said the same shit before the Buffalo game, and then when the Chiefs was down 10 you was preparing your "I told you so speech" but there is a problem the Chiefs won. The Raiders are not a great team and they are by far worse then Denver & Buffalo.

Shut up!! you are another "Gloom and Doom" fan! The Raiders better find a way to contain Smith, West, Ware, Maclin, Kelce & Conley or it's gonna be a long day for them. Cali you come here and said the same shit before the Buffalo game, and then when the Chiefs was down 10 you was preparing your "I told you so speech" but there is a problem the Chiefs won. The Raiders are not a great team and they are by far worse then Denver & Buffalo.

If Cali wants to bring the Doom & Gloom and then we win, I'm all for it

Archived