Hey Old Linemen.....What happened to the O-Line?

Shut up!! you are another "Gloom and Doom" fan! The Raiders better find a way to contain Smith, West, Ware, Maclin, Kelce & Conley or it's gonna be a long day for them. Cali you come here and said the same shit before the Buffalo game, and then when the Chiefs was down 10 you was preparing your "I told you so speech" but there is a problem the Chiefs won. The Raiders are not a great team and they are by far worse then Denver & Buffalo.

I ate my crow. Chiefs are playing well. Didn't say we would lose. Carr is a very good qb. They give him good protection. He will put up points and so will we. Shoot out coming.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some numbers for the offensive line this season (through 12 games):

Jeff Allen (RT) - 6 starts (weeks 7, 8, 10-13)

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (RG) - 9 starts (weeks 1-3, 7, 8, 10-13)

Eric Fisher (LT) - 10 starts (weeks 3-8, 10-13)

Zach Fulton (LG) - 4 starts (weeks 4-6, 13)

Ben Grubbs (LG) - 7 starts (weeks 1-7)

Mitch Morse © - 11 starts (weeks 1-8, 10, 11)

Jah Reid (RT) - 7 starts (weeks 1, 2, 8, 10-13)

Donald Stephenson (RT) - 6 starts (weeks 1-6)

Not all of these players finished the games they started, but the the Chiefs' record by starts is interesting:

Jeff Allen (6-0)

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (7-2)

Eric Fisher (6-4)

Zach Fulton (1-3)

Ben Grubbs (2-5)

Mitch Morse (6-5)

Jah Reid (6-1)

Donald Stephenson (1-5)

Obviously, some of these players you want on the field, and some you don't. While some of them played against tougher competition, the swing between records in starts seemed unusually high. I was excited about the signing of Ben Grubbs, but is it possible that he really was a bad fit? As for Jah Reid, the tape shows that he hasn't been good, but has he been good enough, winning enough plays while occasionally getting beat in ways that are damaging but not devastating? As for Donald Stephenson, does it say something that he hasn't started a game since week 6, and that currently he is the second next man up?

Tomorrow's starting lineup projects to be: Eric Fisher, Jeff Allen, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Jah Reid. If Allen can't start (or can't stay on the field), Zach Fulton seems to be the next man up, although the possibility exists that the Chiefs may go directly to the recently activated Jarrod Pughsley.

Here are some numbers for the offensive line this season (through 12 games):

Jeff Allen (RT) - 6 starts (weeks 7, 8, 10-13)

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (RG) - 9 starts (weeks 1-3, 7, 8, 10-13)

Eric Fisher (LT) - 10 starts (weeks 3-8, 10-13)

Zach Fulton (LG) - 4 starts (weeks 4-6, 13)

Ben Grubbs (LG) - 7 starts (weeks 1-7)

Mitch Morse © - 11 starts (weeks 1-8, 10, 11)

Jah Reid (RT) - 7 starts (weeks 1, 2, 8, 10-13)

Donald Stephenson (RT) - 6 starts (weeks 1-6)

Not all of these players finished the games they started, but the the Chiefs' record by starts is interesting:

Jeff Allen (6-0)

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (7-2)

Eric Fisher (6-4)

Zach Fulton (1-3)

Ben Grubbs (2-5)

Mitch Morse (6-5)

Jah Reid (6-1)

Donald Stephenson (1-5)

Obviously, some of these players you want on the field, and some you don't. While some of them played against tougher competition, the swing between records in starts seemed unusually high. I was excited about the signing of Ben Grubbs, but is it possible that he really was a bad fit? As for Jah Reid, the tape shows that he hasn't been good, but has he been good enough, winning enough plays while occasionally getting beat in ways that are damaging but not devastating? As for Donald Stephenson, does it say something that he hasn't started a game since week 6, and that currently he is the second next man up?

Tomorrow's starting lineup projects to be: Eric Fisher, Jeff Allen, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Jah Reid. If Allen can't start (or can't stay on the field), Zach Fulton seems to be the next man up, although the possibility exists that the Chiefs may go directly to the recently activated Jarrod Pughsley.

I think the Chiefs will go with Puhsley at G before going with Stephenson again. Ben Grubbs was one of the worst on the OL in pass protection. He was a horrible fit, and may not have been healthy. Zach Fulton saved his career by learning to play C.  

They are good run blockers! Run the ball.

Reid, has the boys playing with an identity now. This Chiefs team is courageous and resilient. We will be a tremendously tough outing in the playoffs. We have become a smash=mouth team. Our only TD drive against SD started off with 8 consecutive running plays in a row - then once SD crowded the LOS Alex called the Audible, click slant to Wilson for the TD; brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chiefs' offensive line continues to do a less-than-stellar job in pass blocking. While Football Outsiders has yet to update their rankings to include the week 16 games, the Chiefs most recently ranked fifth in run blocking, but 29th in pass blocking. Among other certain or likely playoff teams, ranked near the Chiefs are the Seahawks (best in run blocking, 30th in pass blocking), and the Vikings (12th in run blocking, 28th in pass blocking), and then Houston (20th in run blocking, 21st in pass blocking) and New England (second in run blocking, 20th in pass blocking). The Jets have best pass blocking (fourth in the league, but 27th in run blocking), while the Cardinals have the best all-around line (third in run blocking, and sixth in pass blocking). The Bengals also rank well (fourth in run blocking, 14th in pass blocking).

The Chiefs are going to continue to struggle on offense if they can't protect Smith, and that includes keeping the arms of pass rushers down so that they can't tip passes.

When people see that we were fifth ranked in run blocking, people will undoubtedly say that we should run more. If we run more, I believe that ranking would go down as it would be more predictable. The pass, even if it is short, can set up the run. Just like the offense can rest the defense. Running more could also set up the pass so while the fifth ranked run blocking line could drop down to the middle, maybe the pass blocking will get better, too if we ran more?

With most things, presenting the opposition unpredictability and having balance yourself is best. We could be 16th best in run blocking and 16th best in pass blocking and run and passed randomly, that could produce better results than having a dominant run blocking team and a bad pass blocking team.

I mean, people say that our short passing offense stacks the box but then we want our running backs to run into that stacked box. We obviously want to have deep passes sprinkled in, but balance is better than a pass based or run based team.

Jeff Allen was good Sunday. He looked healthy, and played with an attitude. Morse got beat on at least one play. Jah Reid and LDT did not have their strongest outing. The Browns were up to the task, and won on a number of occasions against our line. I hope they do better Sunday against the Raiders. last time, Mack had a field day against Fisher. He may need some help. 

The Chiefs are going to continue to struggle on offense if they can't protect Smith, and that includes keeping the arms of pass rushers down so that they can't tip passes.

yep..Alex makes the line look better than they are..many times he should be sacked instead he takes off a huge gain instead..like the 29yard run sunday..this worries me more than anything when the playoffs begin..fear the pass blocking of the o-line..still Allen unquestionably makes them better..hopefully he can continue to start.

Very Lousy o-line. Bad from training camp to now. This is why the offense is limited. I dont think any of these guys, except Morse, are worth keeping. I know we will keep some but seriously they stink!

I would take Mitch Morse and Eric Fisher (who has under-performed considering his draft pedigree, but is a starting left tackle in his own right), but everyone else appears to be playing at the level of a backup. That doesn't mean that this team can't succeed in the post-season, but it does mean that other players have to make up for the deficiencies of the offensive line. I don't except Jeff Allen to return next season, while Doctor Who? and Reid Jr. will compete for starting jobs next year.

Seriously, we need semi-serious nicknames for these guys (anything that's neither too complimentary nor too disrespectful).

yep..Alex makes the line look better than they are..many times he should be sacked instead he takes off a huge gain instead..like the 29yard run sunday..this worries me more than anything when the playoffs begin..fear the pass blocking of the o-line..still Allen unquestionably makes them better..hopefully he can continue to start.

Smith dumps off fast. Few Qbs could handle this pathetic pass protection and win. Jah Reid may be tough but he stinks. Maybe Grubbs will do well next year.

I have a few comments. During our 1–5 start, the line was so bad and Smith wasn't producing with that line to the point where I read a lot of people saying why can't Smith get the ball out quickly and why doesn't Smith make the line any better? They, of course, would then give Manning or Brady as an example of a quarterback who does that. Whenever you compare any non-elite to an elite when no one went into the conversation thinking that non-elite was elite, it's not likely to be reasonable expectations wise.

And now, we have two reasonable posters saying that Smith makes his line better and gets passes out quickly. Obviously, not to the level of Manning or Brady. Recently, I haven't seen as many times where Smith makes his line look worse, though I would guess he still does sometimes. So what has changed in this time? One, we have won and two, our offense is more diverse.

I feel that during the losing streak we were really predictable and that was in part due to trying to force-feed Charles rather than use him as a traditional back who can get untraditional yards. That was probably pretty hard on the line. Now, that we are passing to most everybody, the line is getting better and we are winning, though the line isn't good yet.

So my question is, how much of this winning streak has been the line improving and how much is it everyone else and how much is it the offensive options being increased?

Archived