Free Agents

Sorry if this is an old discussion, but right now with all that dead money coming off the books, I am curious what people think about which free agents to retain.

S Eric Berry, I would have said let him go at the beginning of the season because I thought he was overrated and used like an undersized LB. Now he is playing really well. I think I would try to keep him but not break the bank.

LB Derrick Johnson, I had doubts he could come back, but he has and played great once again. But he is 33. A Chiefs legend and one of my favorite players, but 33 is 33. It would have to be cheap and short.

CB Sean Smith, Another guy I wave goodbye to in July. With the other question marks at CB and him being 28, I say pay the man for another 4 or 5 years.

LG Jeff Allen, He has ayes better this year, but he better be cheap or bye.

S Husan Abdullah, A pretty solid safety. I like him and Parker as deep safeties. Sign him if it's not crazy money.

DT Jaye Howard, Pay the man. Do not let him leave town, period. He is the most valuable lineman we have.

DT Powe, I don't see him listed. If he is a FA, I am only going to spend the money he will command if I can't sign Howard.

QB Chase Daniel, let him go start somewhere. I am good with Murray as our #2. Money better spent elsewhere. I think he either starts for San Fran next year (they seem to love Mizzou players) or (more likely) he returns to NO and waits to take over for Brees. Either way, he will be successful. He is a baller.

S Tyvon Branch, Cheap one year deal or bye.

DE Mike DeVito, He is only depth for the future. A backup contract or let him walk.

WR Jason Avant, Great mentor. He was critical for us until Mac arrived. Now there are younger horses (or will be next year) that need the spot in the stable.

LB Frank Zombo, decent depth for a cheap price unless he blows up in Hiuston's absence. Sign him.

LT Donald Stephenson,Thought he was a stud, but was wrong. League min ir close to it. Super soft and undependable.

CB Jamell Fleming, I think he and Abdullah are both FS. They both have decent deep coverage skills but not much thump. I we resign Abdullah, bye. If we can't pay the man. Either way I would like to keep both at a cheap price, but I don't think that will happen.

LB Dezman Moses and DE David King, ehh... Whatever. They won't make it through camp next year either way.

Sorry if this is an old discussion, but right now with all that dead money coming off the books, I am curious what people think about which free agents to retain.

S Eric Berry, I would have said let him go at the beginning of the season because I thought he was overrated and used like an undersized LB. Now he is playing really well. I think I would try to keep him but not break the bank.

LB Derrick Johnson, I had doubts he could come back, but he has and played great once again. But he is 33. A Chiefs legend and one of my favorite players, but 33 is 33. It would have to be cheap and short.

CB Sean Smith, Another guy I wave goodbye to in July. With the other question marks at CB and him being 28, I say pay the man for another 4 or 5 years.

LG Jeff Allen, He has ayes better this year, but he better be cheap or bye.

S Husan Abdullah, A pretty solid safety. I like him and Parker as deep safeties. Sign him if it's not crazy money.

DT Jaye Howard, Pay the man. Do not let him leave town, period. He is the most valuable lineman we have.

DT Powe, I don't see him listed. If he is a FA, I am only going to spend the money he will command if I can't sign Howard.

QB Chase Daniel, let him go start somewhere. I am good with Murray as our #2. Money better spent elsewhere. I think he either starts for San Fran next year (they seem to love Mizzou players) or (more likely) he returns to NO and waits to take over for Brees. Either way, he will be successful. He is a baller.

S Tyvon Branch, Cheap one year deal or bye.

DE Mike DeVito, He is only depth for the future. A backup contract or let him walk.

WR Jason Avant, Great mentor. He was critical for us until Mac arrived. Now there are younger horses (or will be next year) that need the spot in the stable.

LB Frank Zombo, decent depth for a cheap price unless he blows up in Hiuston's absence. Sign him.

LT Donald Stephenson,Thought he was a stud, but was wrong. League min ir close to it. Super soft and undependable.

CB Jamell Fleming, I think he and Abdullah are both FS. They both have decent deep coverage skills but not much thump. I we resign Abdullah, bye. If we can't pay the man. Either way I would like to keep both at a cheap price, but I don't think that will happen.

LB Dezman Moses and DE David King, ehh... Whatever. They won't make it through camp next year either way.

Damn you would suck as a GM. You would have shit canned the whole team.????

Let Sean Smith go and draft another CB early.  Smith will be too expensive and Gaines should be back.

Try to keep DJ.  He's the heart of the defense and brings intangibles plus he should have several more good years in him.

Gotta keep Howard and wouldn't mind DeVito if he can get healthy.

Keep Berry and dump Avant.

I wonder, if he knew how everything would turn out (Smith getting extended and remaining throughout Daniel's contract as a starter, as well as New Orleans struggles) if he would have remained in New Orleans or if he would have taken the money here. I think the high backup money and being developed a bit by Reid couldn't hurt.

I'll post more on this when I do my next mock. I put together an offseason plan at the Planet but I'm going to be making some small changes. Here it is:

Started piecing together the numbers for my offseason plan. Here's my thoughts so far...

Chiefs will "tender" all of their ERFAs at their veteran minimum. All should have 2 accrued seasons, but not certain on that.
ERFAs:
Demetrius Harris, TE - $600,000
Frankie Hammond, WR - $600,000
Charcandrick West, RB - $600,000
Daniel Sorensen, SS - $600,000
Nicholas Williams, 34DE - $600,000

Total: $3,000,000

Chiefs will sign the following veteran free agents to minimum deals:
Jah Reid, OT - $760,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $840,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000
Frank Zombo, 34OLB - $760,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $840,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000
Husain Abdullah, FS - $760,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $840,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000
Dezman Moses, 34OLB - $675,000
Jason Avant, WR - $870,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $950,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000

Total: $3,335,000

Chiefs will re-sign the following free agents to multi-year deals:
Eric Berry, SS - 5 year, 50.5 million deal with 22.5 million guaranteed. Contract model: Devin McCourty, NE. Cap numbers of 8.5, 10.5, 10, 11.5, and 10 million.
Jaye Howard, 34DE - 4 year, 34 million deal with 13 million guaranteed.
Contract model: Jurrell Casey, TEN. Cap numbers of 6.1, 8.4, 9.2, and 10.3 million.
Derrick Johnson, ILB - 2 year, 8.7 million deal with 2 million guaranteed. Contract model: Daryl Smith, BAL (final 2 years). Cap numbers of 4.35 and 4.35 million.
Jeff Allen, OG - 4 year, 17 million deal with 5 million guaranteed. Contract model: Shaun Lauvao, WAS. Cap numbers of 2.5, 4.5, 4.7, and 5.3 million.

Total: $21,450,000

Estimated Draft Selection Allocation: $7,000,000

This would put the Chiefs at approximately $150,225,000. I'm estimating the cap will be 152 million, which would be 6% growth after 8.1 and 7.7% growth the past two seasons.

Roster without draft picks:

QB - Alex Smith
QB - Tyler Bray
QB - Aaron Murray

RB - Jamaal Charles
RB - Spencer Ware
RB - Charcandrick West
RB - De'Anthony Thomas
RB - Knile Davis
FB - Anthony Sherman

TE - Travis Kelce
TE - James O'Shaughnessy
TE - Brian Parker
TE - Demetrius Harris

WR - Jeremy Maclin
WR - Albert Wilson
WR - Chris Conley
WR - Frankie Hammond
WR - Jason Avant

OT - Eric Fisher
OT - Curtis Feigt
OT - Jah Reid
OG - Ben Grubbs
OG - Paul Fanaika
OG - Jeff Allen
OG - Zach Fulton
OG - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff
OC - Mitch Morse

34DE - Allen Bailey
34DE - Jaye Howard
34DE - Nick Williams
34DE - Rakeem Nunez-Roches
34NT - Dontari Poe

34OLB - Justin Houston
34OLB - Dee Ford
34OLB - Frank Zombo
34OLB - Dezman Moses

ILB - Derrick Johnson
ILB - Josh Mauga
ILB - Ramik Wilson
ILB - DJ Alexander
ILB - Justin March

CB - Marcus Peters
CB - Phillip Gaines
CB - Steven Nelson
CB - Marcus Cooper

FS - Ron Parker
FS - Husain Abdullah
SS - Eric Berry
SS - Daniel Sorensen

Ugly WR LINEUP

yuck

Hopefully upgrade that

Liquidfriend was saying that while Smith will throw inaccurately deep and Wilson is fast, Wilson doesn't track the ball very well. That doesn't lend much confidence from the quarterback who doesn't like to risk things or waste plays. It's the quarterback's fault, too, but we do need the receivers after Maclin to be healthy, running routes well, and contributing.

I posted this in the other thread, but this is a more appropriate spot.

I'll post more on this when I do my next mock. I put together an offseason plan at the Planet but I'm going to be making some small changes. Here it is:

Started piecing together the numbers for my offseason plan. Here's my thoughts so far...

Chiefs will "tender" all of their ERFAs at their veteran minimum. All should have 2 accrued seasons, but not certain on that.

ERFAs:

Demetrius Harris, TE - $600,000

Frankie Hammond, WR - $600,000

Charcandrick West, RB - $600,000

Daniel Sorensen, SS - $600,000

Nicholas Williams, 34DE - $600,000

Total: $3,000,000

Chiefs will sign the following veteran free agents to minimum deals:

Jah Reid, OT - $760,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $840,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000

Frank Zombo, 34OLB - $760,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $840,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000

Husain Abdullah, FS - $760,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $840,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000

Dezman Moses, 34OLB - $675,000

Jason Avant, WR - $870,000 + $50,000 roster bonus + 30,000 workout bonus = $950,000, veteran cap hit rules = $665,000

Total: $3,335,000

Chiefs will re-sign the following free agents to multi-year deals:

Eric Berry, SS - 5 year, 50.5 million deal with 22.5 million guaranteed. Contract model: Devin McCourty, NE. Cap numbers of 8.5, 10.5, 10, 11.5, and 10 million.

Jaye Howard, 34DE - 4 year, 34 million deal with 13 million guaranteed.

Contract model: Jurrell Casey, TEN. Cap numbers of 6.1, 8.4, 9.2, and 10.3 million.

Derrick Johnson, ILB - 2 year, 8.7 million deal with 2 million guaranteed. Contract model: Daryl Smith, BAL (final 2 years). Cap numbers of 4.35 and 4.35 million.

Jeff Allen, OG - 4 year, 17 million deal with 5 million guaranteed. Contract model: Shaun Lauvao, WAS. Cap numbers of 2.5, 4.5, 4.7, and 5.3 million.

Total: $21,450,000

Estimated Draft Selection Allocation: $7,000,000

This would put the Chiefs at approximately $150,225,000. I'm estimating the cap will be 152 million, which would be 6% growth after 8.1 and 7.7% growth the past two seasons.

Roster without draft picks:

QB - Alex Smith

QB - Tyler Bray

QB - Aaron Murray

RB - Jamaal Charles

RB - Spencer Ware

RB - Charcandrick West

RB - De'Anthony Thomas

RB - Knile Davis

FB - Anthony Sherman

TE - Travis Kelce

TE - James O'Shaughnessy

TE - Brian Parker

TE - Demetrius Harris

WR - Jeremy Maclin

WR - Albert Wilson

WR - Chris Conley

WR - Frankie Hammond

WR - Jason Avant

OT - Eric Fisher

OT - Curtis Feigt

OT - Jah Reid

OG - Ben Grubbs

OG - Paul Fanaika

OG - Jeff Allen

OG - Zach Fulton

OG - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff

OC - Mitch Morse

34DE - Allen Bailey

34DE - Jaye Howard

34DE - Nick Williams

34DE - Rakeem Nunez-Roches

34NT - Dontari Poe

34OLB - Justin Houston

34OLB - Dee Ford

34OLB - Frank Zombo

34OLB - Dezman Moses

ILB - Derrick Johnson

ILB - Josh Mauga

ILB - Ramik Wilson

ILB - DJ Alexander

ILB - Justin March

CB - Marcus Peters

CB - Phillip Gaines

CB - Steven Nelson

CB - Marcus Cooper

FS - Ron Parker

FS - Husain Abdullah

SS - Eric Berry

SS - Daniel Sorensen

We can do without Hammond and Avant.

I don't see how we get Abdullah to take league minimum. I like it though.

I tend to think we are going to be seriously weak with only one corner next year. We are counting on Philip Gaines to be Sean Smith and not Sanders Comings. With just 8 career starts and coming off and ACL, I don't think you can let Smith walk.

I don't see how we get Abdullah to take league minimum. I like it though.

I tend to think we are going to be seriously weak with only one corner next year. We are counting on Philip Gaines to be Sean Smith and not Sanders Comings. With just 8 career starts and coming off and ACL, I don't think you can let Smith walk.

The Abduallah contract is going to be one of the tweaks. When I finish it I'll be sure to post it here right away.

It is very doubtful the Chiefs will be able to re-sign all of DJ, Sean Smith, Eric Berry, and Jaye Howard unless they do some work with Charles' and Colquitt's contracts.

Also, something that people keep bringing up over at the other place is Hali. Just so everyone is aware, he appears on the books at Over The Cap and Spotrac because he has Void years in his deal to spread out his signing bonus. He will be a free agent after the season. I expect him to retire, but if he doesn't then that is another guy the Chiefs would have to try and fit in.

34 million in cap space doesn't go very far when you have two guys likely to command 9 mil per contracts (Berry and Smith), two guys likely to bring 4 mil per (Allen and DJ), and one in the 5-6 per range (Howard), plus a draft class allocation of around 7 million, not to mention wanting to keep a buffer for movement with players during the season of around 3 million.

We can do without Hammond and Avant.

Absolutely, but remember this isn't a final 53 plan. This is guys I expect KC to sign and bring to camp with them. If I'm a betting man, both those guys are going to camp with KC.

Archived