The Dee Ford Preview Sunday

He doesn't get credit for anything in the box score because it was an Interception, not a fumble. He did force it though, although great initial pressure from Hali really helped matters. I will say, it was the only good play Ford made all game. He is getting better, but he still has a long way to go before I'd feel comfortable with him starting.

Video here: http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Josh-Mauga-picks-off-Derek-Carr/301c0d26-6b83-46f4-a65b-cbed1b5595d0

Dee Ford - LB - Chiefs
Dee Ford recorded three sacks, seven tackles and broke up a pass Week 14 against the Chargers.
Starting his second game in a row for an injured Justin Houston, Ford lit up the Chargers for the best game of his career. The three sacks were his first this season, and the pass breakup prevented Danny Woodhead from scoring the game-tying touchdown on the final play of the game. Ford struggled in his first start last week, but he flashed the talent which made him a first-round pick in 2014 against San Diego.

Has Ford Arrived? Looked like DT.

On the play before his 2nd sack, he dropped his rush and diagnosed the screen they were setting up to Woodhead and totally blanketed him to blow up the play. Shows he paid attention in film study. Monster fuckin' game by the kid. All he needs is more reps standing up.

I am open to the idea that Dorsey was right, and I was wrong about Dee Ford. He did open my eyes Sunday. The play that I thought was significant was the final play where he defended Woodhead in the back of the endzone. The sacks were rush sacks, and we know Dee Ford can do that against inferior talent. He has to learn how to develop his game, and Sunday it appeared it might be happening.

I really want the Chiefs to extend Tamba Hali for at least two more season (granted, he may want to retire). Hali is having a terrific season, and has reversed the notion he may have worn down too much. Letting him rest during the week to save his knees is smart. I don't know if the Chiefs can get more than one more year out of him, but it is clear to me he has enough for that. 

Having Tamba, Dee, and Justin playing at a high level would enable the Chiefs to wreck havoc on most teams. I am sure even Bob Sutton could figure out a way to exploit all their talents on the field at the same time. 

I am open to the idea that Dorsey was right, and I was wrong about Dee Ford. He did open my eyes Sunday. The play that I thought was significant was the final play where he defended Woodhead in the back of the endzone. The sacks were rush sacks, and we know Dee Ford can do that against inferior talent. He has to learn how to develop his game, and Sunday it appeared it might be happening.

I really want the Chiefs to extend Tamba Hali for at least two more season (granted, he may want to retire). Hali is having a terrific season, and has reversed the notion he may have worn down too much. Letting him rest during the week to save his knees is smart. I don't know if the Chiefs can get more than one more year out of him, but it is clear to me he has enough for that. 

Having Tamba, Dee, and Justin playing at a high level would enable the Chiefs to wreck havoc on most teams. I am sure even Bob Sutton could figure out a way to exploit all their talents on the field at the same time. 

Ditto

It takes a while for the young guys to figure it out...But Dee Ford is VERY explosive and is a fantastic all around athlete. 

Eraser is right, its too soon to say if Dee Ford lives up to the first round pick expectations. However, he was able to make a number of plays yesterday, lead the team in both sacks and tackles...then covered Danny Woodhead when it mattered most....

I think the kid deserves both our praise and our patience.

w

Hali had to transition too. 

Hali transitioned quicker, but he already had played successfully in the league. It was good for Ford that he did not have to play immediately. The Chiefs were able to groom him. Ford is not powerful enough to play DE, IMHO. However, making him into a 3-4 OLB seems to be a hit. He payed tribute to his tutors, Tamba, and Justin, during the game. Afterwards, he credited the two for helping him learn the game. I think they also taught him how to mature as a pro. Too many players have the ability, but cannot manage their life in the NFL. The Chiefs clearly have built a team full of leaders. Hali, Johnson, Charles, Maclin, Berry, and the list just goes on with too many to mention who all have leadership within. This is why I have hopes for a player such as Bray, who seemed to have first round talent, but went undrafted due to his lack of maturity. Is there a better organization to help develop a player? Not long ago, there were possibly 31 other locations doing it better. Now, there may not be one. 

"First round bust" always frustrates me a little. Sure, you want to get optimal value out of the draft, but some players perform better than others who were drafted lower. So, a player taken in the first round is not as good as he should be compared to others and expectation, does that mean he is a complete failure? No, it should mean once that player is drafted, he is now in a group that were acquired. He shouldn't get special treatment because of his draft position, nor should he get the pressure. The draft is only a process in distributing players to various teams. Once the draft is over, a good team should disregard the order in which a player is taken. 

There are some teams in the NFL that place such a high emphasis on where the player was taken. This hardly ever works to their favor. There have been cases where an undrafted free agent was purposefully overlooked because the team wanted to prove they did not err in a high draft pick. We have heard over and over that you have to play a guy because he was the #1 pick on the team. Well, you really don't. I looked in the rules, and there is no such requirement. If a player is not the best at his position, he should not play. 

Good Post E...I agree with you.

Strategically, KC is in a very good place and gives me great hopes for the immediate and mid term future....

I think ANDY REID is the key guy to keep them on track and get us that elusive playoff win...( waiting since 1994....)

California Living Arkansan with a Horrific Chiefs Habit....

Also, if I had a dollar for every Chief Player we throw under the bus here as a "bust"....

w

Remember a certain prominent Coalition member who labeled DJ a bust?   :)

There have been a few times in my life when I just wasn't on top of something and then a few basics were understood and the rest started falling into place.  Dee Ford may be at that point.  Poor competition may give him the confidence and something to build on which will help him maximize his talents and become a solid starter or better.  Give him time and encouragement rather than labeling him a bust on very little playing time.

Archived