Some thoughts

-Dee Ford isn't a good player. For each positive (not a lot), he has ran himself out of a lot of plays and basically relies on gotta go fast like he's sonic the hedgehog.

Gibbs might be the best LB coach there is and Stevie Wonder apparently hasn't learned shit. Zombo is a better LB.

-Sutton made good adjustments and seems to have finally learned that it's okay to give up a big play here and there to generate pressure. If he didn't, Oakland dink and dunks their way to victory.

-RB stable looked good, as did the run blocking.

-Pass protection looked iffy. Fisher getting punked more than he should be. I hear injuries, but Mack always punks him.

I think a lot of it was due to Morse being out and Fulton not knowing much.

-Mauga is hilariously slow.

-Chiefs got a WR problem. They don't really have an established 2 or a slot guy.

DAT is a gimmick player, Wilson can't track the ball and Conley has a long way to go.

-Kelce has to step up and stop giving the ball away

-Colquitt has had his share of miscues thisnseason. He should be wary as he's ngetting up there in age and is due nearly 5 million the next 2 years. If I am a GM, I am questioning if I can get similar production at 1/10th of the price.

-Berry went from hella rusty to possibly the best DB in the NFL this season.

-This team is really being worked on in terms of depth. Need some guys healthy, because Rivers can eat you alive if you can't get pressure. Kansas City can't afford to fall into a trap game.

-It gets super easy after this one. Schuab will spot you points and Cleveland is shit. Last game at home may be meaningless, if they don't let up.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAT and O'Shaunessy might help the passing game if they were healthy.  At least they would provide options.  Is Conley a bust or does he just a slow learner?

All teams have people out, but the Chiefs will be a lot better with Bailey, Houston, and Allen or Morse back.

Odds are that the Chiefs will win 10.2 games.  That mean there's a 20% chance of winning out and really good odds of winning at least three.  Let's just hope the last game against the Raiders isn't meaningful for the Chiefs.  I hate those guys.

The most likely scenario is the Chiefs being seeded fifth and playing Indy or Houston.  History of playoff games in Indy isn't good, but they'd be easier than the Texans again IMHO.

The Jets will lose at least one more and probably two,  Steelers will be underdogs only one more time.  Chiefs will be favorites for all remaining games unless a lot more key players go down.

Chiefs really need Houston, not just for his pass rush but for his overall play.  Still it was fun to see Zombo get his sacks.

I want the Chiefs to draft CB, O-line, and WR with an ILB unless Ramik gets it together.

Is it possible that the offense is better because the Chiefs don't rely on JC and are forced to mix it up more?

Is it possible that the offense is better because the Chiefs don't rely on JC and are forced to mix it up more?

The offense is better because there are better receiving targets and Smith can therefore throw with more confidence. Jeremy Maclin is on pace to exceed 1,250 yards for the season, and that would be the most productive (by yardage) that any of Smith's wide receivers have been. By comparison, Michael Crabtree (who may have been one of Smith's best wide receivers in past years) has less yardage on a higher volume of targets.

The nice thing is that this situation on offense can improve substantially with experience and improved health for all of those nicked-up offensive linemen.

I really do think the Chiefs are better without Jamaal, and was quick to note that they did fine when he went down in the past. Also why I said they might want to consider seeing what he could get in the open market.

I think they get loopy trying to "use Jamaal right"

They did fine without him last year and could still get points without him in the playoff game before.

DAT and O'Shaunessy might help the passing game if they were healthy. At least they would provide options. Is Conley a bust or does he just a slow learner?

All teams have people out, but the Chiefs will be a lot better with Bailey, Houston, and Allen or Morse back.

Odds are that the Chiefs will win 10.2 games. That mean there's a 20% chance of winning out and really good odds of winning at least three. Let's just hope the last game against the Raiders isn't meaningful for the Chiefs. I hate those guys.

The most likely scenario is the Chiefs being seeded fifth and playing Indy or Houston. History of playoff games in Indy isn't good, but they'd be easier than the Texans again IMHO.

The Jets will lose at least one more and probably two, Steelers will be underdogs only one more time. Chiefs will be favorites for all remaining games unless a lot more key players go down.

Chiefs really need Houston, not just for his pass rush but for his overall play. Still it was fun to see Zombo get his sacks.

I want the Chiefs to draft CB, O-line, and WR with an ILB unless Ramik gets it together.

I think the Steelers are underdogs for the next two games versus the Bengals and Broncos. I know some factors like home and away might go into that, but given the record, I believe that they are underdogs there.

I really do think the Chiefs are better without Jamaal, and was quick to note that they did fine when he went down in the past. Also why I said they might want to consider seeing what he could get in the open market.

I think they get loopy trying to "use Jamaal right"

They did fine without him last year and could still get points without him in the playoff game before.

I very much agree with you. I know we are probably on the unpopular side with this, but its the truth. Plus, it would free up 6 million in cap space if it happened before the roster bonus kicked in. I love Jamaal, outstanding player, but I have a team success mentality.

Colquitt has a bad knee. He is playing through it. He had a bad game last week. He is having the best year in his career, and he is one of the best of all times. McAfee is kicking for better distance. Colquitt is killing the ball on the two yard line. I would take accuracy over distance. 

Dee Ford needs to toughen up. I never liked the pick. He did more yesterday than we have seen since he was drafted. Zombo is better. Ford has three more seasons with the Chiefs before he is due to become a free agent. Generally, it is not smart to cut a player on his rookie contract. He is making peanuts right now. Lets see how this plays out. I think he stays on the roster. He is better than I expected, but my expectations were extremely low. I didn't think he could get by in the NFL with a quick first step, and nothing more. So far, I have been right. 

I very much agree with you. I know we are probably on the unpopular side with this, but its the truth. Plus, it would free up 6 million in cap space if it happened before the roster bonus kicked in. I love Jamaal, outstanding player, but I have a team success mentality.

How much would JC be worth until he proves he can play at full speed?  I'm not sure he should be traded unless the Chiefs get a lot in return.  Charles is very popular and the fans would go crazy if they traded him.  At the same time, it's a business and if West/Ware can do 90% of Charles, then the team might be better off.  My earlier point wasn't that Charles isn't valuable to the Chiefs.  It's that the Chiefs offense has adjusted and may be better.  They could adjust with Charles in the lineup and be better still.

How much would JC be worth until he proves he can play at full speed? I'm not sure he should be traded unless the Chiefs get a lot in return. Charles is very popular and the fans would go crazy if they traded him. At the same time, it's a business and if West/Ware can do 90% of Charles, then the team might be better off. My earlier point wasn't that Charles isn't valuable to the Chiefs. It's that the Chiefs offense has adjusted and may be better. They could adjust with Charles in the lineup and be better still.

They are only better because Reid pulled his head out of his ass. He never ever used Charles right. When he did, the chiefs won.

All this we are better off without Charles is bullshit.

They are only better because Reid pulled his head out of his ass. He never ever used Charles right. When he did, the chiefs won.

Yep, that was my point.  The Chiefs are better with Charles IF they use him more effectively.

I agree. I think the offense could have worked with Charles, Ware, and West. Last season there were times when Reid used Jamal and Knile Davis well, and they Chiefs offense rolled. I don't know what happened to Davis, I guess he doesn't fit what they want to do now. 

This is off the subject, but my only concern with Charles is his wife. I have nothing against her personally, and can't judge her for how she feels, but It still bothers me a little. 

I watched a documentary about Charles and it covered what happened with Javon Belcher. His wife was very upset with the Chiefs organization, and how they didn't mention her cousin's in the first game the Chiefs played after the tragedy. She said she wanted nothing to do with Arrowhead stadium. Charles also blames himself for what happened, since he introduced them.

Like I said, I don't blame her. She lost her cousin but, it seems like anything related to the Chiefs or Arrowhead she doesn't like because of Belcher. I'm not saying I understand it, but I've always wondered how Charles feels playing for the Chiefs.

Maybe it's not a big deal, but it's just something that stuck with me after watching that documentary. 

https://twitter.com/jcharles25/status/673578996131430400

I don't think you have to worry about Jamaal or his wife. That was because the Chiefs were run by bad people. She was right to not want to be a part of the Chiefs back then. Jamaal almost quit football after that ordeal. 

Jeff Allen, Allen Bailey, Eric Berry, Dustin Colquitt, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Dontari Poe, Donald Stephenson, and Jamaal Charles remain from that team. Among those, Poe, Allen, and Stephenson were rookies that year. On the surface, Hali, Berry, and Johnson are close with Jamaal. DJ would be the only guy I would think who would have sided with players supporting Jovan Belcher. 

I believe all the coaching staff has turned over. There isn't much left of that period of time. I did think it was obscene for Dwayne Bowe, and other players to mourn the loss of Jovan Belcher, but then again I wasn't in their locker room. Then, Belcher's mother tried to steal the child, and seemingly got support from the Chiefs. I didn't have a lot of good feelings about the Chiefs back then. I can't speak for Hunt, but I would imagine he was disgusted as well. 

Jamaal is proud to be a Chief. He wants to play forever. The problem is his contract is written is such a way that the Chiefs can get out of it, and save a ton of money. He may want to be with the Chiefs, but he may not be back next year due to money. 

It's not Jamaal's fault that the Chiefs are winning without him.  He's still a great player.

It's just the offense can still roll without him and why in the world are we giving this much money to a RB when the coach only dedicates a small corner of his Denny's menu for runs.  Bad joke, but Jamaal just isn't the invaluable piece he once was to the Kansas City Chiefs.

He's coming off a torn ACL and doesn't have a lot left on his contract.

Lets not act like finding a quality 3 down back is difficult.

Jamaal is proud to be a Chief. He wants to play forever. The problem is his contract is written is such a way that the Chiefs can get out of it, and save a ton of money. He may want to be with the Chiefs, but he may not be back next year due to money. 

He also held out at a time where he prevented the Chiefs from getting a deal done with Justin Houston, which resulted in the Chiefs having to pay Houston more than they would have if they could have afforded his new contract in 2014.

I hope he proves to be replaceable.

Talking about receivers, this is the second article I read where somebody criticized Wilson's lack of laying out for the ball on the deep attempt. In the game thread, I blamed Smith for it, but apparently it has been characteristic of him not going for it. Mellinger says that it's hard for a quarterback to build trust when they don't do that. Obviously, it's hard for receiver to catch it if it's not thrown accurately. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article48599565.html

I don't know if it is in Albert Wilson to make that play. He has the talent, but he was a small school athlete. He may grow into that kind of a player. I'm sure the Chiefs will work on it with him. I don't imagine it is due to lack of effort. Perhaps he will develop into a guy who makes those plays. He might be what you see, and no more.

Wilson has 34 targets in 12 games. Tied for 137th in the league.

On average, a starting receiver (1WR,2WR,TE) should be 27th in the league. If you add a RB as a receiver, as the Chiefs, then that number would be 28th. Considering the average #1 WR, #2 WR, RB, and TE, the lowest average of the three should be 112th in the league. 

Wilson is being targeted less than a 3rd receiver on a team that employs 2 starting receivers, a RB, and TE before a third receiver. 

So how is Albert Wilson doing in terms of yards receiving. He has 279 yards in 12 games, which means he does a little bit better. He is currently 129th in the league in terms of receiving. He is slightly better than rookie RB TJ Yeldon of Jacksonville. Yeldon was a 2nd round selection, but consider this... he is a running back, and he is not being used much. Jarius Wright of Minnesota is almost equivalent of Albert Wilson, in terms of receptions, targets, and receiving yards. He is their third receiver, and the Vikings rank next to last in passing yards. 

What is the point? Albert Wilson is not doing well this year. Either he is not getting open, or Alex Smith is not passing to him for some reason... maybe a lack of trust? Albert Wilson was not drafted in 2014. He only became a starter due to injuries on a team that highlighted Dwayne Bowe as their #1 WR. Dwayne Bowe was cut. He signed with Cleveland, who badly needed a WR. Dwayne Bowe has 3 catches for 30 yards. 

Albert Wilson is NOT a  #2 WR on most any other team than the Chiefs. He could become a good receiver. He checks off a lot of categories, except for the fact he is short. Someone said he does not track the ball well. I don't know. I haven't watched for that this season. There haven't been many opportunities. What I do know is he is RAW. He runs decent route, but nothing special. 

Albert Wilson is on the team because he was better than Frankie Hammond and healthier than Kyle Williams.

Fans were gushing over Wilson last year, but no one really put words to what supposedly made him a promising season. Smith's not one to exclude receivers by reading the routes of only his best playmakers; he's been throwing to bottom-of-the-barrel talent throughout his career. It may just be that Wilson's actually not that good. He's disappeared in games involving the league's better cornerbacks (see: one reception in two Broncos games).

Archived