Some thoughts

Albert Wilson is on the team because he was better than Frankie Hammond and healthier than Kyle Williams.

Fans were gushing over Wilson last year, but no one really put words to what supposedly made him a promising season. Smith's not one to exclude receivers by reading the routes of only his best playmakers; he's been throwing to bottom-of-the-barrel talent throughout his career. It may just be that Wilson's actually not that good. He's disappeared in games involving the league's better cornerbacks (see: one reception in two Broncos games).

Albert Wilson, is like a FB out there. He THREW some BLOCKS , laid people out. He took out 2 secondary players in ONE play being a quick throw to Maclin in the first half. After re watching the game i'm convinced Conley cannot block that way , thus Wilson is our 2nd WR.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Albert Wilson, is like a FB out there. He THREW some BLOCKS , laid people out. He took out 2 secondary players in ONE play being a quick throw to Maclin in the first half. After re watching the game i'm convinced Conley cannot block that way , thus Wilson is our 2nd WR.

His blocking might be the only thing keeping him on the field. Schematically, there's mostly disadvantage to lining up a blocker wide. If Wilson is on an island, he gets canceled out by the defense's weakest cornerback. If Wilson lines up tight with other receivers, he raises flags for an upcoming screen pass.

I'm admittedly oversimplifying this, and I don't mean to diminish the value of having wide receivers that can block well downfield, but if you have a wide receiver that struggles to get open, you are tying the hands of your quarterback, especially a quarterback like Alex Smith that makes his living off of quick reads and quick strikes. Less than a year from now, Albert Wilson is likely to be on the roster bubble just by reason of his failure to develop as a receiver. Chris Conley is only six receptions behind Wilson on the year, and that's with Conley being a rookie and missing almost all of the off-season program. This reflects badly on Wilson.

I agree to some extent that Wilson hasn't had many catches. You have to take into the fact the O-line has just now got it together. Wilson, was open for a 50 yrd TD which Alex overthrew.

... and Wilson failed to lay out for.

I put the blame on Smith for that pass and I did so in the game day thread, but I would like to see him lay out for the ball or kick it to another gear. It seem like he was going a bit slower.

It's not just me, I posted an article that said that and I saw another one said the same thing. People are noticing him not to go for the ball. He doesn't get that many targets, so that's significant. Smith bear some blame, but other posters have noticed that he doesn't track the ball well. Maybe that's why he doesn't lay out for the ball - he doesn't track it well.

I agree to some extent that Wilson hasn't had many catches. You have to take into the fact the O-line has just now got it together. Wilson, was open for a 50 yrd TD which Alex overthrew. 

Im not sure the oline was ever very good. When the competition became less they looked better. 

Couple thoughts:

-I was very disappointed with the performance West turned in yesterday. I saw multiple instances, when he bounced to the outside, where he would of had a long TD run if he was willing to be physical and beat a single defender. Each time, he ran out of bounds.

If you want to be a starting RB in the NFL, you can't blow those opportunities. At least one of them should had been a TD.

Jamaal will be frothing in the mouth when he sees the all22 angle on those runs, as he knows he would of turned that into 3 scores.

-Smith sometimes needs to recognize that he's not Roethlisburger. Trying to out physical guys to buy time in a shitty, sloppy game is how you get hurt. Be willing to chuck it to thr checkdown targets feet and move to the next down.

-Dorsey needs to work out some long snappers. No idea why they suddenly went super cheap here. Shitty snaps are gonna cost them.

-I'm not too excited that Dee Ford torched a practice squad level guy. Now with that said, he can be unbeatable if he can get his technique down.

-I think Rivers will regret signing an extension to stay with SD....sorry. LA.

The Chargers played very hard, but they just aren't a talented team. Tom Telesco is a terrible football executive and the team is wasting a very good QB. They are destined to never win a SB.

I think Mike McCoy should be fired right now, immediately, for letting the playclock run down to 1 every single play in that game, and allowing the Chiefs to jump each snap.  It was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time from a so-called offensive guru...

It was like target practice for the Chiefs teeing off on Rivers.  The Bolts are done in SD, they are as good as in LA at this point.

It's not Jamaal's fault that the Chiefs are winning without him.  He's still a great player.

It's just the offense can still roll without him and why in the world are we giving this much money to a RB when the coach only dedicates a small corner of his Denny's menu for runs.  Bad joke, but Jamaal just isn't the invaluable piece he once was to the Kansas City Chiefs.

He's coming off a torn ACL and doesn't have a lot left on his contract.

Lets not act like finding a quality 3 down back is difficult.

Jamaal can still see better and cut better than any RB in football and will for the next few years at least.  He is a magician.  I've never seen anyone who can react and cut like he can.  It would be insane to let him go.  That being said, the Chiefs staff has obviously overused him, worn him down, and failed to develop more creative game plans and offensive options because of his presence.  His absence has opened things up.  Things will change as opponents re-adjust their defensive schemes.  I think we should let Knile Davis go instead, and use Spencer Ware on kickoff returns when he is not starting at RB. He will eventually become a starting RB anyway.  On the other hand, a Charles/Ware combo would be ruinous for opponents, moving West to punt returns over the fragile DAT.

Couple thoughts:

-I was very disappointed with the performance West turned in yesterday. I saw multiple instances, when he bounced to the outside, where he would of had a long TD run if he was willing to be physical and beat a single defender. Each time, he ran out of bounds.

If you want to be a starting RB in the NFL, you can't blow those opportunities. At least one of them should had been a TD.

Jamaal will be frothing in the mouth when he sees the all22 angle on those runs, as he knows he would of turned that into 3 scores.

-Smith sometimes needs to recognize that he's not Roethlisburger. Trying to out physical guys to buy time in a shitty, sloppy game is how you get hurt. Be willing to chuck it to thr checkdown targets feet and move to the next down.

-Dorsey needs to work out some long snappers. No idea why they suddenly went super cheap here. Shitty snaps are gonna cost them.

-I'm not too excited that Dee Ford torched a practice squad level guy. Now with that said, he can be unbeatable if he can get his technique down.

-I think Rivers will regret signing an extension to stay with SD....sorry. LA.

The Chargers played very hard, but they just aren't a talented team. Tom Telesco is a terrible football executive and the team is wasting a very good QB. They are destined to never win a SB.

I think you're absolutely right about West on not taking it inside. Yesterday, I was in such a forgiving mood because we won the game that I kept thinking that if we were more aggressive in the run game maybe we would've fumbled the ball. I was upset with Hammond for staying in bounds for half a yard with his back towards the sideline. I was just happy to not have a turnover.

But I don't think that is sustainable or recommendable. You have to be able to see where the lanes are and take them.

I get what you mean when you say that Smith is too tough for his own good. He's going to get hurt doing that. I just think it's funny to ever read somebody tell him that he needs to learn to check it down.

I remember watching a Philadelphia Eagles game against the Niners where he dirtied the ball on purpose to avoid a big receiver hit for a negative yards catch and the crowd kept booing him. I read in a game thread somebody talking about how his passes were so inaccurate, asking how he could expect somebody to catch it on the ground. I just shook my head because I knew they didn't know what they were talking about and I couldn't say anything because I wasn't registered on the message board.

Jamaal can still see better and cut better than any RB in football and will for the next few years at least.  He is a magician.  I've never seen anyone who can react and cut like he can.  It would be insane to let him go.  That being said, the Chiefs staff has obviously overused him, worn him down, and failed to develop more creative game plans and offensive options because of his presence.  His absence has opened things up.  Things will change as opponents re-adjust their defensive schemes.  I think we should let Knile Davis go instead, and use Spencer Ware on kickoff returns when he is not starting at RB. He will eventually become a starting RB anyway.  On the other hand, a Charles/Ware combo would be ruinous for opponents, moving West to punt returns over the fragile DAT.

Knile is probably gone considering how he's been used since JC went down.  I disagree about Ware running back kicks.  He doesn't seem to be all that fast compared to Knile or West.  Actually, I don't see why DAT, when healthy, isn't running back kicks as well as punts.

Knile is probably gone considering how he's been used since JC went down.  I disagree about Ware running back kicks.  He doesn't seem to be all that fast compared to Knile or West.  Actually, I don't see why DAT, when healthy, isn't running back kicks as well as punts.

I think Ware is a bull.  And he is plenty fast, just not as fast as Davis. ST guys will be loathe to try to tackle Ware when he has a head of steam, and he has such powerful thighs and leg motion that he would slip away some guys trying to stop him on kickoff returns.  But it is true that it would be more dynamic to have Ware and Charles rotating at RB.  As far as returning kicks, I think DAT dances too much and frequently backs up trying to see an opening on the edge.  He spends more time running laterally and backwards on punt returns.  He gets a lot of yards.  The problem is that they are usually sideways rather than upfield.  Nobody infuriates me more than watching DAT field a punt and then having an unrealistic view of his own capabilities, often getting tackled behind where he caught the punt.  I would rather see West returning punts than DAT by about...a hundredfold.  Time to either see if DAT can be used in the slot at WR or send him packing.

I think Mike McCoy should be fired right now, immediately, for letting the playclock run down to 1 every single play in that game, and allowing the Chiefs to jump each snap. It was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time from a so-called offensive guru...

It was like target practice for the Chiefs teeing off on Rivers. The Bolts are done in SD, they are as good as in LA at this point.

It wasn't just the play clock it was also talent. I'm sure if it was the Donkeys it would be all talent of Von Miller and the Donkeys awesome D!

Jamaal can still see better and cut better than any RB in football and will for the next few years at least. He is a magician. I've never seen anyone who can react and cut like he can. It would be insane to let him go. That being said, the Chiefs staff has obviously overused him, worn him down, and failed to develop more creative game plans and offensive options because of his presence. His absence has opened things up. Things will change as opponents re-adjust their defensive schemes. I think we should let Knile Davis go instead, and use Spencer Ware on kickoff returns when he is not starting at RB. He will eventually become a starting RB anyway. On the other hand, a Charles/Ware combo would be ruinous for opponents, moving West to punt returns over the fragile DAT.

Yep. Thank you.

It wasn't just the play clock it was also talent. I'm sure if it was the Donkeys it would be all talent of Von Miller and the Donkeys awesome D!

Defense balled yesterday. It's still rivers.

Our offense struggled because of penalties and horrible play calling and we won. In the past we would have Lost.

I'm into this group of guys.

I think Ware is a bull.  And he is plenty fast, just not as fast as Davis. ST guys will be loathe to try to tackle Ware when he has a head of steam, and he has such powerful thighs and leg motion that he would slip away some guys trying to stop him on kickoff returns.  But it is true that it would be more dynamic to have Ware and Charles rotating at RB.  As far as returning kicks, I think DAT dances too much and frequently backs up trying to see an opening on the edge.  He spends more time running laterally and backwards on punt returns.  He gets a lot of yards.  The problem is that they are usually sideways rather than upfield.  Nobody infuriates me more than watching DAT field a punt and then having an unrealistic view of his own capabilities, often getting tackled behind where he caught the punt.  I would rather see West returning punts than DAT by about...a hundredfold.  Time to either see if DAT can be used in the slot at WR or send him packing.

I'd rather see West rather than Ware returning kicks and DAT at least hasn't fumbled punts two out of the last three games like Hammond.  In an ideal world, JC and Ware would be primary backs and the Chiefs could try West as Knile's K.O. replacement.

I think Mike McCoy should be fired right now, immediately, for letting the playclock run down to 1 every single play in that game, and allowing the Chiefs to jump each snap. It was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time from a so-called offensive guru...

It was like target practice for the Chiefs teeing off on Rivers. The Bolts are done in SD, they are as good as in LA at this point.

Would you or anyone else venture a guess on why it was like this? Was he over thinking? Was he trying get in the fewest plays? Was he trying to give the defense a rest? Were there problems with the relay of the play system? Does he want to get fired? ;)

Smith said that there should've been five or six delay of game penalties and there were only two. I noticed a few, but honestly, I wasn't paying attention.

The Chiefs have Ware and West, and Knile Davis after that. Ware has bruised ribs. Playing RB in the NFL is brutal. West was hurt a few weeks back. Knile Davis can return kicks. I don't know why you would want Ware or West running back kicks. It just does not seem like a good idea. 

Archived