Nightmare

I must have been dozing because it seemed that PIT won out and Cincy had a QB with a bum hand so both teams finished 11-5.  So PIT won the division and Cincy was tied with KC.  But wait.  The Bengals would hold the tiebreaker over KC.  The Jets, who haven't beat a single winning team this season also finish at 11-5.  That means the Chiefs have to win out just to play the third seed, PIT at their house.  Yikes!

I must have been dozing because it seemed that PIT won out and Cincy had a QB with a bum hand so both teams finished 11-5.  So PIT won the division and Cincy was tied with KC.  But wait.  The Bengals would hold the tiebreaker over KC.  The Jets, who haven't beat a single winning team this season also finish at 11-5.  That means the Chiefs have to win out just to play the third seed, PIT at their house.  Yikes!

It is desirable that if the Steelers win the AFC North, the Chiefs also win the AFC West. If that's the case, the Chiefs will seed against the division winners, not the wild card teams.

As for the scenario you outline where the Jets, Bengals, and Chiefs are all tied at 11-5 as wild card teams behind their respective division winners, that is the most desirable outcome. In the case of that three-way tie, the Chiefs would hold the advantage over both teams in the first applicable tie-breaker: Conference wins. As the fifth-seed playoff team, they would in all likelihood play against the AFC South division winner.

Tie-breakers are funny sometimes. You end up having to root for teams that are competing for playoff berths while hoping that your own team doesn't lose and end up watching the playoffs at home.

The most important thing however is that the Chiefs control their own destiny right now: As long as they win out, they are guaranteed a playoff berth. If they get help, that's gravy. And if they seed against the Steelers, why is that automatically a bad thing? Once a team is in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Well, I could be wrong, but thought that if the Chiefs and Bengals both had 11-5 records, the Bengals would get the higher seed because they won the head to head game.  Worst case is the Chiefs seeded sixth which would pit them against the Steelers.  I think the Steelers are probably the toughest team in the AFC at this point.

I think the Chiefs match up well against the Steelers. A healthy D can cover them and they are soft on Defense.

A healthy New Englad is the true danger. Belichick is proving every conspiracy person wrong. He's just on a whole different level coaching wise.

A healthy Bengals squad was the true terror of the AFC. Only problem is they always limp into the playoffs. Every single year.

I think a healthy Chiefs squad could be a significant threat in the AFC.

The Steelers have a nice passing game, but that's not the formula for winning January football.

The Steelers need a miracle to get the division. The Bengals still have the Ravens (lollll) and a 49ers squad that got ass to mouthed by the Browns. Bengals will win the division.

I will say with great confidence that you shouldn't worry about the Steelers bouncing KC out of the playoffs and should pull for them to crush Denver.

If KC can't handle their own business by this point, they don't deserve to be in thr playoffs.

If they win out, and they should, they are locked in.

The Ravens are putrid and Cleveland is Cleveland.

They should have no problem beating the Browns at home. Pickles at QB for the Ravens is a guaranteed win and Schuab at QB for the Ravens is a guaranteed pick 6.

The Jets will drop a game to NE likely, so they got some margin for error. Either facing a shit team like uh.....Jacksonville? or possibly a back up QB in Cincinnati really doesn't make a difference.

If Denver blows it next week, a young QB and a dumb ass HC has to deal with the enormous pressure. Recipe for disaster imo.

Well, I could be wrong, but thought that if the Chiefs and Bengals both had 11-5 records, the Bengals would get the higher seed because they won the head to head game.  Worst case is the Chiefs seeded sixth which would pit them against the Steelers.  I think the Steelers are probably the toughest team in the AFC at this point.

Two-way ties are handled differently than three-way ties. In your scenario, you had the Jets going 11-5, so I used the applicable three-way tie-breaker.

In the three- or four-way tiebreaker, if a team played against each of the other teams and won all of their games, they would be awarded the applicable wild card seed, whereas if a team played against each of the other teams and lost all of their games, they would be eliminated from tie-breaker consideration and the tie-breaking procedure would continue to the next step. Because none of the Bengals, Chiefs, or Jets played against both other teams, that tie-breaker isn't applicable, and the procedure continues at the step that compares win percentage within the conference. On that basis, the Chiefs would win the tie-breaker.

Again, if it were merely a two-way tie-breaker between the Bengals and the Chiefs, the Chiefs would lose on the basis of head-to-head matchup result.

You may have noticed that at the end of some seasons, there is a lot of hubbub about whose team didn't make the playoffs, and why is it that a team having the same record and that their team beat playing in the playoffs ahead of them. Even last year in week 17, the Chiefs needed not just to win their game against the Chargers (to gain second place in the AFC West by their 9-7 record and their head-to-head tie-breaking advantage over the Chargers, which they did), and not just for the Ravens to lose to the visiting Browns (which would have left the Ravens with a 9-7 record, but which didn't happen), but also for the Texans to lose to the visiting Jaguars. Had the Ravens lost their game while everything else finished as it did, it would have triggered a four-way tie between the Chiefs, Bills, Texans, and Ravens for the sixth-seed, and since none of those teams played all of the other teams, the conference wins tie-breaker would have decided the result, and the Texans owned that tie-breaker with an 8-4 record in the AFC (a victory better than the Chiefs, and three victories better than the Ravens and Bills).

Math is fun.

I will say with great confidence that you shouldn't worry about the Steelers bouncing KC out of the playoffs and should pull for them to crush Denver.

If KC can't handle their own business by this point, they don't deserve to be in thr playoffs.

They should have no problem beating the Browns at home. Pickles at QB for the Ravens is a guaranteed win and Schuab at QB for the Ravens is a guaranteed pick 6.

The Jets will drop a game to NE likely, so they got some margin for error. Either facing a shit team like uh.....Jacksonville? or possibly a back up QB in Cincinnati really doesn't make a difference.

If Denver blows it next week, a young QB and a dumb ass HC has to deal with the enormous pressure. Recipe for disaster imo.

Manziel looked really good today, don't count the Browns out yet.

YEP & thats the bottom line

YEP & thats the bottom line

True, but my scenario had CINN, PIT, and KC all at 11-5 which means PIT wins their division and the other two are wild cards.  The Jets wouldn't be a factor in since they should lose to NE. (applicable word being "should").  So from this point on, KC can handle their business very well and still travel to PIT for the first round.  Probably won't happen, but it would be the worst case other than missing the playoffs all together.

If the Jets, Chiefs, Bengals, Broncos and Steelers all end up at 11-5, the Broncos will be left out of the playoffs.

Not likely, but it's possible. In that scenario, KC is the number 2 seed.

The nightmare for KC is likely not gonna happen. The Bengals have two very easy games against SF and the Ravens at home to finish out the season. Steelers can't afford to fart once.

If the Jets, Chiefs, Bengals, Broncos and Steelers all end up at 11-5, the Broncos will be left out of the playoffs.

Not likely, but it's possible. In that scenario, KC is the number 2 seed.

The nightmare for KC is likely not gonna happen. The Bengals have two very easy games against SF and the Ravens at home to finish out the season. Steelers can't afford to fart once.

The outcome of the Steelers and Broncos game will determine what I am rooting for. If the Broncos win, then I'll be happy the Steelers are likely out. If the Steelers win, I will futily hope for Denver to lose again here

The outcome of the Steelers and Broncos game will determine what I am rooting for. If the Broncos win, then I'll be happy the Steelers are likely out. If the Steelers win, I will futily hope for Denver to lose again here

My fear is that the Steelers win (bad for the Chiefs) and then Denver beats the Dalton-less Bengals (bad for the Chiefs).  If the Bengals win their other two games, and they should, then no big problem.  The worst case is the Steelers winning their division and the Chiefs seeded sixth behind Cincy.  PIT may be the best team in the AFC right now.

After weeks of playing with hypotheticals, I am finding that what I really care about is that the Chiefs actually win the three games that they should win. At least they truly control their own destiny, unlike the Jets. That being said, the Chiefs can't afford to drop a single game right now. Everybody's rooting for the Steelers or Jets to win [X game], and it's still within the realm of possibility that the Chiefs end up missing the playoffs by a win.

No Chiefs fan wants the Jets to win any games.

The Jets are the one thing that would save the Chiefs from their tie-breaking loss to the Bengals. Ideally, the Jets are one of the three teams that will beat the Patriots over these next three weeks during which the Broncos and Bengals each also lose two games.

Until the Steelers lose a game, or until the Bengals and Broncos win their second game over the next three weeks, wins by the Jets are good for the Chiefs.

The Jets are the one thing that would save the Chiefs from their tie-breaking loss to the Bengals. Ideally, the Jets are one of the three teams that will beat the Patriots over these next three weeks during which the Broncos and Bengals each also lose two games.

Until the Steelers lose a game, or until the Bengals and Broncos win their second game over the next three weeks, wins by the Jets are good for the Chiefs.

Understand.  My thinking is the more likely scenario where a Jets loss vertually assures a Chiefs playoff spot.  It is much less likely that PIT, CINN, NYJ, and KC all tie at 11-5.  

Hey, we can have this discussion all over again in five more days with new parameters.   :)  

Guys I just read an article about how the Chiefs do not want to win the AFC WEST! Why the HELL don't they. It goes on to say because they haven't been a good home team and they could possibly have to play Denver or Pittsburgh. Well I for one would rather play at home I don't give a damn who it is. Why does all the pundits think Pittsburgh and Denver are so scary? I hope this is the year that Kansas City shoves their finger in everyone's face and I pray to god that if we make the Superbowl it is against the Carolina Panthers riding an undefeated record. BRING IT ON! If we cant beat the good teams then we have no business being there.

Guys I just read an article about how the Chiefs do not want to win the AFC WEST! Why the HELL don't they. It goes on to say because they haven't been a good home team and they could possibly have to play Denver or Pittsburgh. Well I for one would rather play at home I don't give a damn who it is. Why does all the pundits think Pittsburgh and Denver are so scary? I hope this is the year that Kansas City shoves their finger in everyone's face and I pray to god that if we make the Superbowl it is against the Carolina Panthers riding an undefeated record. BRING IT ON! If we cant beat the good teams then we have no business being there.

Agree in general, but I am a little bit Macciavelian in my thinking that I don't care who we play as long as we win. The worst teams we play, the more likely we advance. We could have a playoff match up with the Bills, Jets, and Houston and then beat the Redskins and I'd still be happy regardless of the media calling it a cupcake playoffs.

Now, would I rather beat the Steelers, Denver/Cincinnati (with Dalton back), Patriots, and Seattle? Of course. But if playing that schedule meant we lost, I would go with the farmer.

I am sort of similar with opponent injuries. I would love to beat a healthy team, but if the choice is beating a beatup team or losing to a healthy team, I'd rather win. That sounds like a no duh, but there are plenty of people who feel the other way.

The Steelers are another team like Carolina, they rack up yards and points against half ass teams. They beat SF, Rams, SD, Raiders, Brownies, Dolts, a QB less Cinci, their only "good" win came against AZ in Pittsburgh.

I believe they win the rest of their games.

This gives Pittsburgh wins against 3 teams with winning records and 8 wins against teams that suck wit losing records. At the end of it all they would be 3-4 against teams with winning records and 8-1 against teams with losing records.

Just saying, do people believe they are good because they are killing shitty teams or because they are close to .500 against good teams?

Archived