Chiefs vs Ravens?

From Arrowhead Pride

The Chiefs defense ranks fifth in the NFL in allowing a passer rating of just 72.9 when they are blitzing.

The Ravens defense ranks second-to-last in the NFL by allowing a passer rating of 121.2 when they are blitzing.

On the offensive side of the ball, Alex Smith has a passer rating of 110 against the blitz, completing 66 percent of his passes with 8 touchdowns and just 1 interception. That’s good enough to rank third in the NFL, trailing just Tom Brady (121.5) and Russell Wilson (119).

The Ravens quarterbacks have a passer rating of 75.6 against the blitz, which ranks 26th in the NFL.

So Chiefs should be aggressive with the BLITZ?

Looking for a real gut wrenching pound it out close victory. I hope Reid remembers how well KC runs the ball.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any given Sunday, blah, blah, blah

Always tough to win on the road, blah, blah, blah.

The Chiefs have everything to play for and the Ravens have nothing but whatever pride remains.  That being said, on paper this should be tougher for the Chiefs than the Chargers game and that one almost got away.  The concern is if the Chiefs continue to turn over the ball and commit killing penalties.  They lost 132 yards of gain plus about 40 yards marked off because of penalties last game.  They had a ton of penalties in Oakland the week before.  The only way this game should be close is if the Chiefs do themselves in.  Surely Reid has emphasized that this week, but will it be effective in helping the team play smarter?    

Chiefs 27  Crows 14

All four of their wins have come on the last play of the game. 3 FGs and a blocked kick returned for a TD

Their losses have been by 6, 4, 4, 3, 5, 8, 2, 2, and this last week was 29. I hope we win like the Seahawks did (35-6). I'll take any win, but 28-13 would be nice. You deserve to win the games you win and lose the games you lose and no matter how you slice it, losing 9 games, close or not, signifies your team isn't close. Losing their QB just made it harder to lose close games. Wins were 3, 3, 3, and 6. Baltimore fans must have been entertained for as long as any team has. No garbage time until this past week. (I don't think any game was close due to a garbage time score making a ten point game into a three point game.)

If the Kansas City Chiefs show up, and play well there will be no problem. If they play as they did last week, they can definitely lose this game. Yes, Baltimore is playing a quarterback, who they claimed off waivers. That quarterback, Ryan Mallett, was a high third round pick by New England.

New England traded Mallett to Houston. Mallett is talented. He has a strong arm, and he has ideal size. It has been said he has had personal problems since transferring from Michigan to Arkansas, but those issues may have started earlier. Lloyd Carr advised Mallett to transfer when he was replaced by Rich Rodriguez as head coach. Mallett probably would have been a high first round pick if he stayed, but that was no longer possible. He held out a year, and moved to Arkansas. Mallett had drug and alcohol problems entering the draft, and was red flagged. Some reports indicate Mallett started partying in high school, and needed to cut ties. He did that when he moved to Michigan. Lloyd Carr knew Mallett, and surrounded him with the right people. Mallett moved back closer to his friends, and got back into trouble. His first official encounter was in 2009, when he was intoxicated in public in Fayettville. Bobby Petrino tried to reel Mallett back in, but Petrino had his own issues. 

Brian Billick once said Mallett "has Ryan Leaf written all over him." Greg Cosell called him," the best pure thrower in the draft." Brandon Marshall predicted Mallett would be an "All-Pro QB." Who is right? Possibly all of them. So, where does that leave us? If it is true Mallett got the help he needed to fight these demons, he may be able to stop going down the Ryan Leaf path. He is not the most mobile quarterback, but he can neither was Manning. If the Chiefs don't get to Mallett early, he can sling that ball. When that happens, anything is possible. He is on a "three game tryout", according to Harbaugh. 

The Chiefs can overlook this game. They also have the best punter in the game. A recent article about Sam Koch shows why he has been so successful. Koch has ten different punts he uses at various times. He is rated the best in the league. Some of his kicks knuckle, others boomerang, and he has other tricks. There is no other kicker with this kind of arsenal. The Chiefs special teams has been a problem. Turnovers can change any game. For these reasons, I am predicting they falter. 

Ravens 20 - Chiefs 13 

The Chiefs ain't losing this game.

Word. This defense ain't losing to Ryan Mallet.

Their defense has given up at least 20 points to all but 3 teams and the Chiefs are averaging 29 a game even with only scoring 10 last week.

KC wins 38-10

If the Chiefs can stop making the stupid penalties, they win. If not, it could go either way, just like with San Diego.  I'm worried also about having won seven games in a row...the law of odds, you know.

The Chiefs made tons of stupid penalties the past two week and won against opponents of similar strength and the Ravens.  If they play clean, only turnovers could beat them.  I don't see the Ravens just overpowering them.

Chiefs win 127 to 6

That's a Madden score, complete with the computer's token deep ball touchdown off play-action that sucks in every one of your defenders even though you've held their running game to total yardage in the negatives. After that, who cares if the kicker missed the extra point?

Ryan Mallet will never want to play football again.

Unless it's gamesmanship, he's not playing this week. All the interviews of Harbaugh and Mallet are talking about whether he'll have time to play at all this season. I'm guessing next week is the goal.

I think Jimmy Clausen is starting.

I'm not going to say we WILL destroy the Ravens...but we SHOULD beat them handily all things considered. Several reasons to consider:

1. The Chiefs play better on the road for some reason this year. 

2. I don't think it will be pouring rain.

3. Reid has already said they are going to clean up the sloppy play (penalties and turnovers).

4. Jimmy Clausen is their quarterback. If I went to the senior center down the street and fielded a team I bet they could beat Clausen. He flat out sucks!

Archived