End of Regular Season Rooting guide

Priority Number 1: Make the playoffs regardless of who, where, and when we play.

Priority Number 2: Get a bye week to give our players rest, eliminate a game we would have to win, and to get us on the other side of the bracket of the Patriots.

Priority Number 3: Play the most beatable team wildcard round. This one is a bit complicated because who we play is a factor, where we play is a factor, and it isn't as simple as getting the best seed, depending on who you view as the most dangerous team.

Priority Number 4: Win the division and host a game, regardless of how futile that has been in the past. Host someone other than the Steelers. Our house somebody other than the Broncos. Again, It just depends on who you think is more dangerous in the wildcard round.

Priority Number 5: Win out and play against whoever you think is weaker between the Texans and Colts.

Priority Number 6: Get the sixth seed and face Denver. I'm not disrespecting Denver here, it's really the only other option available. If we are going to play them, we would rather host them. (For those concerned about weather, it's cold here, too.) And who wouldn't rather play the Colts or the Texans if we have to go on the road? We could beat or lose to anyone who makes the playoffs, but why not make it more likely?

Not a Priority: If we are to miss the playoffs, we would want to lose both games for draft order.

To get a bye week week, we need to win these next two games. Denver needs to beat the Bengals this next week. The Bengals (Ravens) need to lose in week 17 as well as the Broncos (Chargers).

It wouldn't hurt for the Steelers to lose to the ravens this week or for them to lose the next week to the Browns, but we do need a three-way tie in order to get the bye week. If Denver loses out, that not only means the bangles retain so I can see, but it also I would make it at best team tie and we lost our head to head to the Bengals. Who may be curious, we do not want the Broncos or Bengals to end any game in a tie.

To beat the most beatable team in the wildcard round if we did not get a bye, it would depend on who you think is the most beautiful team.

Houston: We would need to win out, Houston to win out or the Colts to lose again, and that's basically it.

Colts: We would have to win out, the Colts would have to win out, and Houston would have to lose out.

Denver: Denver would have to at least lose one of these next two games and preferably both. We would want Bengals to win a game or both. We would have to win only one of these two games and have the Jets lose. Winning both games would probably mean we play the Steelers if Denver loses out. I'll come back when I can play around the playoff machine with a PC. This scenario is also possible if the Steelers lose a game and the Jets lose a game.

Steelers: We would need to win out, Denver to lose a game, but not both. If Denver loses both, either missed the playoffs or we play them. And, I need to check on these because I might be wrong.

Jets: We would need to win out, Broncos to lose one, and the Jets to win out. Also possible if Broncos lose out and the Jets win one.

I think the scenarios are right, but we need to be realistic.  It's very possible that Denver loses next Sunday and the Chiefs have a shot at the division.  That means a 3 seed and most likely a Steeler game in Arrowhead.  Not my favorite choice.

It's likely, not certain, that the Jets lose one more and the Chiefs and Steelers are 5 and 6 depending on the Chiefs winning out or not.

It's very unlikely that Denver beats CINN and then both lose in week 17.  Forget about a bye.

Most likely is that NE will be 1 and HOU/IND will be four.  DEN and CINN will probably be 2 and 3.  KC, PIT, and NYJ will be the wildcards and the Jets have the toughest two remaining games.  KC wins out and plays at HOU/IND which would be the easiest game in the first round.

Bottom line is that the Chiefs need to rake care of business this coming Sunday and then treat the Raider game like a playoff game.

Priority Number 1: Make the playoffs regardless of who, where, and when we play.

Priority Number 2: Get a bye week to give our players rest, eliminate a game we would have to win, and to get us on the other side of the bracket of the Patriots.

Priority Number 3: Play the most beatable team wildcard round. This one is a bit complicated because who we play is a factor, where we play is a factor, and it isn't as simple as getting the best seed, depending on who you view as the most dangerous team.

Priority Number 4: Win the division and host a game, regardless of how futile that has been in the past. Host someone other than the Steelers. Our house somebody other than the Broncos. Again, It just depends on who you think is more dangerous in the wildcard round.

Priority Number 5: Win out and play against whoever you think is weaker between the Texans and Colts.

Priority Number 6: Get the sixth seed and face Denver. I'm not disrespecting Denver here, it's really the only other option available. If we are going to play them, we would rather host them. (For those concerned about weather, it's cold here, too.) And who wouldn't rather play the Colts or the Texans if we have to go on the road? We could beat or lose to anyone who makes the playoffs, but why not make it more likely?

Not a Priority: If we are to miss the playoffs, we would want to lose both games for draft order.

We match up quite well against the pats! Our secondary against their trash WR.

Our run game against their defense. Love it.

To get a bye week week, we need to win these next two games. Denver needs to beat the Bengals this next week. The Bengals (Ravens) need to lose in week 17 as well as the Broncos (Chargers).

It wouldn't hurt for the Steelers to lose to the ravens this week or for them to lose the next week to the Browns, but we do need a three-way tie in order to get the bye week. If Denver loses out, that not only means the bangles retain so I can see, but it also I would make it at best team tie and we lost our head to head to the Bengals. Who may be curious, we do not want the Broncos or Bengals to end any game in a tie.

You missed one detail in this as far as the bye:

In addition to the Chiefs needing to finish 11-5 and win the AFC West, the Chiefs need the Bengals to not win the AFC North, and for that to happen, the Steelers need to win out and either one of the Bills, Seahawks, or Texans must lose one more game if all of the Cardinals, Colts, and Patriots lose out. If the Steelers and Bengals both finish 11-5, the Steelers will win the AFC North, and then the Chiefs will get the second seed because of holding the head-to-head tie-breaker, a tie-breaker they don't hold over the Bengals.

Playoffs! Playoffs! Did you somebody say Playoffs? Playoffs!! Let's see the Chiefs absolutely dismantle the Browns at home in dominating fashion. I'm talking about and old fashioned "ASS WHIPPIN" and worry about the scenarios when we know we have a playoff spot. In the words of WEST, then it's time for "DEFCON 5"(I love his thread). Arrowhead should be loud as Hell, I mean rockin, then I will be excited about the "PLAYOFFS"!

Playoffs! Playoffs! Did you somebody say Playoffs? Playoffs!! Let's see the Chiefs absolutely dismantle the Browns at home in dominating fashion. I'm talking about and old fashioned "ASS WHIPPIN" and worry about the scenarios when we know we have a playoff spot. In the words of WEST, then it's time for "DEFCON 5"(I love his thread). Arrowhead should be loud as Hell, I mean rockin, then I will be excited about the "PLAYOFFS"!

The Chiefs have nothing to prove.  Play a game agaubst tge Brownies like against SD two weeks ago and I'll be happy for the win.  When they play the hated Raiders, no winning margin is enough.  Priority one is to win.  Beating down CLE just isn't that important.

The Chiefs have nothing to prove.  Play a game agaubst tge Brownies like against SD two weeks ago and I'll be happy for the win.  When they play the hated Raiders, no winning margin is enough.  Priority one is to win.  Beating down CLE just isn't that important.

I see a pretty conservative game being called by Reid this Sunday. Not willing to show too much; If we get an early lead expect us to dink and dunk and use W&W out of the backfield. Rely on Sutton's stingy D to take care of Manziel. I don't see any reason for Reid to let Alex sling it downfield. We all know the Chiefs have this in their arsenal if needed. Just look at the Indi playoff game. We still have plenty of tricks up our sleeve. Let's get DAT and Abdullah back.

I see a pretty conservative game being called by Reid this Sunday. Not willing to show too much; If we get an early lead expect us to dink and dunk and use W&W out of the backfield. Rely on Sutton's stingy D to take care of Manziel. I don't see any reason for Reid to let Alex sling it downfield. We all know the Chiefs have this in their arsenal if needed. Just look at the Indi playoff game. We still have plenty of tricks up our sleeve. Let's get DAT and Abdullah back.

I did not say it couldn't be conservative, nor did I say we had to sling it all over the field. My point is a very loud stadium, a couple dominating drives by the offense and a beat down on defense with sacks and interceptions and hold the Browns to a couple field goals all the while the game never being in doubt. We should not be behind at anytime in this game. Old fashion "Ass Whippin"

I did not say it couldn't be conservative, nor did I say we had to sling it all over the field. My point is a very loud stadium, a couple dominating drives by the offense and a beat down on defense with sacks and interceptions and hold the Browns to a couple field goals all the while the game never being in doubt. We should not be behind at anytime in this game. Old fashion "Ass Whippin"

That should happen and the Chiefs "should" be up by two scores at halftime.  I'm just saying that an ugly win won't disappoint me since the main issue is the Raider game.  Of course, a lose to CLE would be devastating.

That article left me wondering what game will be flexed to Sunday night in week 17. There are a few week 16 scenarios where not only would the NFC Playoff teams be decided, but also their seeding (for instance: Panthers win (1), Cardinals win (2) against Packers (3), Redskins win (4), Seahawks win (5), Vikings loss (6)). As for the AFC playoffs, if both the Patriots and the Bengals win, the first and second seeds will be determined. If in addition to that the Chiefs and Steelers both win their games, the Texans win their game and the Colts lose their game, that would result in five of the six AFC Playoff teams being decided, with the Jets needing a win and a Broncos loss to take the last available Wild Card berth.

That scenario invites the following question: Which game would NFL fans want to see on Sunday night? Not any game whose outcome has no effect on seeding, if not playoff eligibility. Here are some possibilities:

Jets @ Buffalo (projected combined record of 16-14): The problem with slotting this as the late game is that if the Broncos win earlier in the day (very likely), the game becomes irrelevant.

Broncos vs. Chargers (projected combined record of 14-16): Whereas the importance of this matchup is less dependent on specific results -- it would take a Chiefs win, a Steelers win, and a Jets loss to render the matchup meaningless -- it's still a matchup of a very strong team against a very weak team.

Steelers @ Cleveland (projected combined record of 13-17): The allure of this matchup would be limited to whether or not the Steelers can improve to a fifth seed, and that might have already been decided if the Broncos were to lose earlier in the day and if the Jets either lost their game or didn't manage to earn the Strength of Victory tie-breaker. It would also seem to be a given that no one would want to watch a Browns team likely to enter the week 3-12.

Chiefs vs. Raiders (projected combined record of 17-13): Like the other options, the relevance of this matchup depends solely on whether the Broncos won their game earlier in the day; the Chiefs will have already clinched their post-season berth. If the Broncos were to finish week 17 with a loss, the Chiefs would have already clinched the third seed and would have nothing to play for in an otherwise delicious divisional matchup.

Going off of the likely results for week 17, it seems that the Chiefs game would be the one most likely to have the biggest bearing on the playoffs, and the matchup most likely to present a good game.

One reason why I don't want to play the Steelers is because I think that some of them are dirty. Physicals OK, but dirty is not. I understand that there are two advantages of playing dirty. One, you can get a key player on the other team injured and the second is that you get everyone looking around and intimidated.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/12/21/if-odell-beckham-is-punished-for-player-safety-violations-should-cody-wallace-be-too/36867/

I'm glad Oakland beat the Chargers tonight. Maybe the Raiders will be spent when they come to Kansas City, and maybe the Chargers will be angry when they finish the season in Denver.

Since this wasn't in the spoilers thread, I read this before watching the game. But, since I knew who won but not the score or when, I found myself rooting for a Pick Six to win it for the Raiders or a run. Ended up being a FG after a passing TD. Either way, since I didn't know whether SD was going to lose by a missed FG or a FG in OT or a TD in OT, it was still unknown. I just knew that I didn't want SD to make the last FG attempt, because that would have meant Oakland scored two TDs or one TD and a FG plus overtime score and I didn't want all that hyped press about their comeback and clutch win. Just wanted a so what victory between two non-playoff teams.

Since this wasn't in the spoilers thread, I read this before watching the game. But, since I knew who won but not the score or when, I found myself rooting for a Pick Six to win it for the Raiders or a run. Ended up being a FG after a passing TD. Either way, since I didn't know whether SD was going to lose by a missed FG or a FG in OT or a TD in OT, it was still unknown. I just knew that I didn't want SD to make the last FG attempt, because that would have meant Oakland scored two TDs or one TD and a FG plus overtime score and I didn't want all that hyped press about their comeback and clutch win. Just wanted a so what victory between two non-playoff teams.

Sorry, I didn't realize that I spoiled the ending. Usually the goings-on of games end up here in real-time. My bad.

Found this on another board:

You may have seen the ESPN PlayOff Machine - a nice tool to verify my projections.

The week 15 results helped clarify the play-off picture quite a bit - but blurred the AFC West situation even more. I'm not sure I'm happy with PIT winning over DEN. Had DEN won the Chiefs had a chance to nail down the play-off berth next week. Now it's an open issue until week 17.

That said:

If the Chiefs go 2-0 (11-5 total):

There's noone there to catch them:

Worst case is that both PIT and NYJ tie them at 11-5. But the Chiefs have the best in-conference result of the three, thus would take the #5 seed. The head-to-head tiebreaker is not applicable because the Chiefs did not play the NYJ.

One less likely scenario may involve CIN: If CIN loses the final two games and PIT wins out, PIT takes the division. The Chiefs would lose against CIN on head-to-head games, but the NYJ would still lose on tiebreakers. Thus the Chiefs are in the playoffs in that case as well.

If the Chiefs go 1-1 (10-6 total):

Both PIT and NYJ could go 11-5 if they win out. In that case the Chiefs are out. So they need at least one of the two to lose a game.

If the Chiefs go 0-2 (9-7 total):

They need at least one of PIT and NYJ to go 0-2 as well - otherwise those two take the WC spots on win percentage.

No other teams is to be considered here, as HOU will win the division if they go 9-7.

Bottom line: If the Chiefs win out, they are in, if they lose one or two games either PIT or NYJ needs to do just the same.

So what's about winning the division:

If the Chiefs go 2-0 and the Broncos 0-2, the Chiefs have it.

If the Chiefs go 0-2 or the Broncos go 2-0, the Broncos have it.

So the only results to have a closer look at are: Chiefs go 2-0, Broncos go 1-1 and Chiefs go 1-1, Broncos go 0-2.

Chiefs 2-0, Broncos 1-1. Both teams 11-5:

1. Head-to-Head: tie

2. In-division games: Chiefs: 5-1, Broncos (best case, W against SD): 4-2. Chiefs win

Chiefs 1-1, Broncos 0-2. Both teams 10-6:

1. Head-to-Head: tie

2. In-division games: Chiefs (worst case, L against OAK): 4-2, Broncos: 3-3. Chiefs win

Bottom line: If the teams tie for the division lead, the Chiefs will win on tie-breakers.

If the Chiefs go 2-0 (11-5 total):

One less likely scenario may involve CIN: If CIN loses the final two games and PIT wins out, PIT takes the division. The Chiefs would lose against CIN on head-to-head games, but the NYJ would still lose on tiebreakers. Thus the Chiefs are in the playoffs in that case as well.

By the way:

If the Bengals (@ Denver, vs. Ravens), Steelers (@ Baltimore, @ Cleveland), Chiefs (vs. Browns, vs. Raiders), and Jets (vs. Patriots, @ Buffalo) all finish 11-5, the Chiefs wouldn't seed worse than fifth in the playoffs, and could seed at high as second.

To seed second: If the Broncos follow up a win over the Bengals with a loss to the Chargers, they would end up ceding the AFC West to the Chiefs, and in the scenario given above, the Steelers would have already clinched the Strength of Schedule tie-breaker and would win the AFC North over the Bengals.

To seed third: If the Broncos lose against the Bengals and the Chiefs win out, the Chiefs would own the AFC West but could seed no higher than third.

To seed fifth: In the scenario mentioned by KCSLC2008, if the Bengals are a wild card team and the Broncos win the AFC West, the Chiefs would give up seeding due to the Bengals owning the head-to-head tie-breaker over the Chiefs. However, if all of the Steelers, Bengals, Chiefs, and Jets finish 11-5, the latter three would enter into tie-breakers for the wild card berths, and the head-to-head tie-breaker between the Bengals and Chiefs would not apply. The first applicable tie-breaker would be conference wins, and the Chiefs would own that tie-breaker over both the Bengals and the Jets. With the Chiefs taking the fifth slot, the Bengals would win the sixth-seed over the Jets on the basis of the common games tie-breaker.

The Chiefs could win out but seed sixth if the Steelers win the AFC North, the Broncos win out and take the AFC West, and the Jets don't manage to bring an 11-5 record in order to alter the tie-breaking procedure due to their lack of head-to-head games with either the Chiefs or the Bengals.

So to sum up:

• The Chiefs need to keep winning.

• If the Chiefs win and either the Steelers or the Jets lose, the Chiefs will have clinched the sixth seed in the playoffs. If the Chiefs win and both the Steelers and the Jets lose, the Chiefs will have clinched the fifth seed.

• If the Chiefs win, the Broncos will be unable to clinch the AFC West until week 17. If the Broncos go on to lose on Monday night, the Chiefs can clinch the AFC West with a win next week.

• A Bengals victory on Sunday opens the quickest path to a division title for the Chiefs (and third seeding in the playoffs), and in the worst best-case scenario (where the Chiefs win out, but so do the Broncos) ensure that the Chiefs seed no worse than fifth. However, a Bengals victory would also slam the door shut on the only possibility of getting a playoff bye.

Archived