End of Regular Season Rooting guide

I'm kind of slow. Hopefully someone can explain it to me:

Why should it matter what other teams do?  Shouldn't we play the BEST teams if we want to be the BEST?  If we have to play weaker teams to advance to the Super Bowl, then we probably don't belong there, right?  If we somehow end up playing weak teams to advance, won't we get our asses kicked when we finally play a very strong team?

Why should it matter what other teams do?  Shouldn't we play the BEST teams if we want to be the BEST?  If we have to play weaker teams to advance to the Super Bowl, then we probably don't belong there, right?  If we somehow end up playing weak teams to advance, won't we get our asses kicked when we finally play a very strong team?

:huh:

Why should it matter what other teams do?  Shouldn't we play the BEST teams if we want to be the BEST?  If we have to play weaker teams to advance to the Super Bowl, then we probably don't belong there, right?  If we somehow end up playing weak teams to advance, won't we get our ***es kicked when we finally play a very strong team?

Are the top two teams of a conference soft because they get a week 18 bye? Of course not. They earned that bye week by a strong regular season showing.

There's nothing wrong with trying to obtain an advantageous seeding otherwise. If the Chiefs were to make it as far as the AFC Conference Championship game, they will ultimately play against either the AFC's best team or the AFC's second-best team: Which team they will have played against will be determined solely by whether they win or not. You can't beat the best team if you are the best team.

Not sure I understand your point.  Yes, to be the best, a team should be able to beat any other team but having an easier road to the big games is an advantage.  Getting a game in Arrowhead is an advantage over playing the same Donks in Denver.  Would you rather play in NE or host the Jets?  Maybe I'm in the minority, but to see the Chiefs have a good chance to win a playoff game and a reasonable chance to advance to the AFC championship game or Super Bowl is what add to the enjoyment.  The better the chance to win in the early rounds, the more fun the post season will be.  So let them play in Houston or host the Donks here.  Better than going to PIT for the first game.

That article left me wondering what game will be flexed to Sunday night in week 17. There are a few week 16 scenarios where not only would the NFC Playoff teams be decided, but also their seeding (for instance: Panthers win (1), Cardinals win (2) against Packers (3), Redskins win (4), Seahawks win (5), Vikings loss (6)). As for the AFC playoffs, if both the Patriots and the Bengals win, the first and second seeds will be determined. If in addition to that the Chiefs and Steelers both win their games, the Texans win their game and the Colts lose their game, that would result in five of the six AFC Playoff teams being decided, with the Jets needing a win and a Broncos loss to take the last available Wild Card berth.

The 8-7 Washington Redskins have just clinched the fourth seed in the NFC Playoffs. There are still four games left in 2015 that involve NFC East teams, and none of them matter any longer with the exception of the Giants trying to ruin the Vikings' aspirations of winning the NFC North. If Seattle wins their contest against the Rams tomorrow afternoon or if the Panthers defeat Atlanta earlier in the day, the Vikings will have clinched a playoff berth before their week 16 game.

There's something about seeing the Chiefs flexed out of Sunday night football that hasn't sat right with me. Wouldn't seeing the Chiefs battle back to a relevant 5-5 from a 1-5 start have been more interesting for a national television audience than seeing an eliminated team battle against a team unlikely to be able to better its seeding?

In any case, out of sixteen games to be played in week seventeen, four games are being played solely for the sake of showcasing soon-to-be free agents. Strangely, all four involve only NFC teams. As Sunday proceeds, that number will increase rapidly, and will add games involving AFC teams.

Why should it matter what other teams do? Shouldn't we play the BEST teams if we want to be the BEST? If we have to play weaker teams to advance to the Super Bowl, then we probably don't belong there, right? If we somehow end up playing weak teams to advance, won't we get our asses kicked when we finally play a very strong team?

Priorities:

1.Win the Super Bowl after beating the best NFC team, second best AFC team, third best AFC team, and fourth best AFC team if no bye.

2. Win the Super Bowl any other way.

3. Lose to the best at the latest you can.

4. Lose any other way.

I don't care which of the first two happen (though I know if I could choose, I'd choose the first) and if 3/4 happened, you bet I would take the second option.

I don't care if we beat the weakest teams to win a ring when all their stars are injured if it's over the alternative of losing to the best or lesser.

I'd rather lose later than sooner, so you bet I would want a bye week or a weaker opponent or a home game (damn history). I'm not in the "tank the Raiders game to avoid Steelers" club, but I certainly wouldn't complain if we won it all or advanced that way.

Saying any of the "I'd rather lose to the best than beat weak teams" is a false toughness/nobility/grandeur silliness. I think it's stupid. You're cutting your nose off to spite your face. You want to win, even if you want the wins to be against the best. It doesn't mean you need to be scared of the tough teams, and it doesn't mean that there isn't any positives In a loss to a great team, and it doesn't mean that it isn't worse to lose a weak team versus a great team, I'm just saying to discount wins and prefer to lose to the best, is silly.

As long as the Chiefs win, regardless of who they play, they will end up where they want to end up.  They just need to take care of their own business whoever they play, and screw the rest of it. I'm certain Andy Reid is telling all the players exactly that.  That was my point.  All the rest is just noise.  I don't give a shit about seeds or who they play.  Chiefs win out all remaining games including playoff games, then they win the whole thing.  If they lose one of the next two, they still likely will have another chance. Beyond that, any loss is "see ya next year."  I suppose if it is fun to try to imagine various scenarios, then have fun.  That's not my thing but if it is someone else's, then enjoy it...seriously.  I just don't personally give a shit about what any team does from here on out unless they are playing against the Chiefs.  My level of understanding kind of ends there. If the Chiefs are good enough, they will get there.  If they aren't, they won't.

Saying any of the "I'd rather lose to the best than beat weak teams" is a false toughness/nobility/grandeur silliness. I think it's stupid. You're cutting your nose off to spite your face. You want to win, even if you want the wins to be against the best.

Besides, the Chiefs opened the season continually losing to "the best", and I don't think any of us liked that, or were thinking at the time, "This felt so much better than that win against those sorry Texans!" (The Texans opened their season 1-4, but they're likely to win the AFC South.) As it turned out, four of the Chiefs' five losses came against teams likely to be in the post-season, but they also picked up three wins against likely playoff teams along the way.

If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this year, there will always be someone somewhere that tries to throw shade on the accomplishment: 'The regular season strength of schedule was weak', 'The referees missed a critical call in a key game', 'The footballs were under-inflated', etc. Just enjoy the wins as they come.

There are some things that didn't break the Chiefs' way today: The Steelers lost, which means that the Bengals have clinched the AFC North, and therefore if the Chiefs win the AFC West, they cannot seed better than third.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs did win, which resulted in them clinching a playoff berth. Now the Chiefs will be watching the outcome of the Monday Night game in Denver. If the Bengals win, the possibility remains open for them to wrest away home-field advantage from the Patriots with a win and a Patriots loss in week 17. A Bengals win would also result in the Chiefs playing out week 17 for the AFC West crown.

If Denver loses their next two games, they would miss the playoffs entirely.

There's a lot of pieces falling into place today.

Archived