Tamba Hali Broke Thumb in Baltimore Game

Burkholder shared this in the presser today.  Broke right thumb, underwent surgery yesterday.  Calling him "day to day"

I'm glad the lies continue...from From Reid both post game and yesterday saying no injuries to report to this.  I'd rather get a no comment than a flat out lie...

Is it possible that Hali didn't know the thumb was broken until later Monday?  My wife had a fracture that wasn't diagnosed for about a week when the pain became unbearable.  There's reasons the teams are closed mouthed about injuries and I doubt any of them is just to irritate the fans.

Is it the thumb on his throwing hand?

Wouldn't that be a crazy trick play if we had him throw a touchdown just like we had Poe run one in? Now, of course, it's a lot harder to throw a touchdown than to bulldoze someone over being Poe's size. And, of course, I'm kidding because it would be unforgivable if we lost a playoff game due to a trick play like that not working.

[Frank Zombo] hasn't fared too poorly when he's been out there. He's not Houston or Tamba, buts he's a serviceable backup.

Against Manziel, getting to the quarterback quickly isn't as key as keeping the quarterback in the pocket through disciplined pass rushing. If the matchup were different, I'd be more concerned. I think Zombo would be sufficient for what the Chiefs need to execute come Sunday.

When you're an edge rusher, you need your hands. If Hali's injury worsens through play, he's done for the year, post-season included. Get the win this weekend without Hali, and watch what happens with the Broncos and the Jets. If the Chiefs win, the Broncos win, and the Jets or Steelers lose, the Chiefs will have clinched a playoff berth but would have to win in week 17 and depend on a Broncos loss against the visiting Chargers to win the AFC West as well.

In other words, if you need Hali to get into the playoffs or to hold a lead in the AFC West, play him with a bum thumb in week 17 and then hope he can gut out up to four games of the post-season. As good as Hali is, his absence alone wouldn't tip the scales when it comes to the balance in talent and coaching between the Chiefs and Browns.

Against Manziel, getting to the quarterback quickly isn't as key as keeping the quarterback in the pocket through disciplined pass rushing. If the matchup were different, I'd be more concerned. I think Zombo would be sufficient for what the Chiefs need to execute come Sunday.

When you're an edge rusher, you need your hands. If Hali's injury worsens through play, he's done for the year, post-season included. Get the win this weekend without Hali, and watch what happens with the Broncos and the Jets. If the Chiefs win, the Broncos win, and the Jets or Steelers lose, the Chiefs will have clinched a playoff berth but would have to win in week 17 and depend on a Broncos loss against the visiting Chargers to win the AFC West as well.

In other words, if you need Hali to get into the playoffs or to hold a lead in the AFC West, play him with a bum thumb in week 17 and then hope he can gut out up to four games of the post-season. As good as Hali is, his absence alone wouldn't tip the scales when it comes to the balance in talent and coaching between the Chiefs and Browns.

This is a team that lost to the 0-10 Raiders when we needed to win. We need all hands on deck. KC has not suddenly become elite or even close. Its game to game. No reason to look too far out. If the guys, including Houston, can go then play them. 

This is a team that lost to the 0-10 Raiders when we needed to win. We need all hands on deck. KC has not suddenly become elite or even close. Its game to game. No reason to look too far out. If the guys, including Houston, can go then play them.

It doesn't matter if we win this game if we don't have all hands on deck in the playoffs. Then again, it doesn't matter if we have all hands on deck if we don't make the playoffs. So therefore, it's a gamble, but given how this team is performing this year and responding to adversity and who the Browns are, for at least this game, I think we can avoid a loss like last year to the 0-10 Raiders. The key should be getting people healthy.

Question One: Do you believe the Chiefs need Hali to win against the Browns?

If the answer to Question One is "Yes", then...

Question Two-A: Why are you scared of a non-divisional opponent that at almost every measure is a lesser team that the one the Raiders are fielding?

If the answer to Question One is "No", then...

Question Two-B: Why play Hali?

There are times you need "All hands on deck". Healthy hands are better. If the Chiefs lose Hali for the year over a game that the Chiefs should control from start to finish, that would be very damaging. If these Chiefs need Hali to win against the league's second-worst team, what in the world has us thinking significant playoff run?

When you're an edge rusher, you need your hands. If Hali's injury worsens through play, he's done for the year, post-season included. Get the win this weekend without Hali, and watch what happens with the Broncos and the Jets. If the Chiefs win, the Broncos win, and the Jets or Steelers lose, the Chiefs will have clinched a playoff berth but would have to win in week 17 and depend on a Broncos loss against the visiting Chargers to win the AFC West as well.

I agree with your assessment of Jonny. Still, I want Hali out there. Any QB can pick you a part with enough time. I don't think the thumb will worsen. What was said about getting beat by an 0-10 team rings true. I will never forget San Diego going 1-15 and we were the 1.

It doesn't matter if we win this game if we don't have all hands on deck in the playoffs. Then again, it doesn't matter if we have all hands on deck if we don't make the playoffs. So therefore, it's a gamble, but given how this team is performing this year and responding to adversity and who the Browns are, for at least this game, I think we can avoid a loss like last year to the 0-10 Raiders. The key should be getting people healthy.

Besides, the circumstances surrounding that loss to the 0-10 Raiders were very different:

Four days after beating (and getting beaten up by) the Seahawks, the Chiefs played in Oakland, on Thursday night, in an awful rain. The player that killed them, Latavius Murray, had 16 career touches going into the game, and it's doubtful that the Chiefs' coaches even had an adequate (or accurate) scouting report on Murray prior to the game given the short turn-around.

This game will be at home, against the Browns (not a divisional opponent), with a full seven days after the prior game, and with the chance for some rain or snow. Three out of the four exceptional factors contributing to the Raiders' upset win over the Chiefs are not present in this case.

I'm not advocating that the Chiefs look past the Browns, but I am saying that if Hali makes the difference here between a win and a loss, this is a team for which we should have no aspirations of a productive post-season.

Tamba Hali has surgery for broken thumb suffered in Ravens game | The Kansas City Star

"He came in after the game with a little bit of swelling," said 
 head trainer Rick Burkholder. "We got him back here on Monday. He had a fracture that was displaced."

Hali, who was named to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday, has three small screws in his thumb and is wearing a splint. Hali told the Chiefs he doesn't know when he suffered the injury. He played 57 of the team's 68 defensive snaps.

Hali hasn't been ruled out for Sunday's game against the 
 at Arrowhead Stadium.

One Tuff SOB. Did not know when it happened! Play him!

Put some weights in that cast, and use it as a club. Actually, that would be illegal, but you get the sentiment. Hali will not be able to grab players with that hand, but he will be able to do just about anything else. Its his right thumb. He won't be throwing passes. So that is a good thing. 

I'd dress Hali, but I wouldn't start him. If the team is doing fine without him on the field, leave it that way. If they are having trouble generating pressure, then put Hali in. No reason to play him if it isn't necessary but don't shoot yourself 100% in the foot by ruling him inactive.

Archived