Manning & Others PEDS

In an undercover report filed by Al-Jazeera, Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmermann and Taylor Teagarden were among several athletes linked to performance enhancing drugs.

The headliner of the group is Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, who allegedly received shipments of human growth hormone from an anti-aging clinic in Indiana. The Al-Jazeera report airs on Sunday night but Huffington Post is already reporting the details. It's worth noting that the report's main source, pharmacist Charlie Sly, has backtracked on many of his earlier claims. The story is still developing and there will surely be more to follow.

A documentary that will soon air on Al Jazeera alleges that Peyton Manning and several other pro football and baseball players received HGH from an Indianapolis anti-aging clinic in 2011.

The report's lone source appears to be "Charlie Sly," a pharmacist who spent one year at the clinic and whose claims were made on secret video tape, without him knowing. Sly alleges he mailed HGH to Ashley Manning -- Peyton's wife -- "all the time." Added Sly, "And it would never be under Peyton’s name, it would always be under her name." HGH was not banned in the NFL until 2011, and wasn't even tested for until 2014. Sly later "backtracked" on virtually all of his claims, but not before also accusing Clay Matthews, Dustin Keller, Mike Neal, Julius Peppers, James Harrison, baseball players Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman, and even Mike Tyson of using various forms of performance-enhancing drugs.

In a statement released by the Broncos late Saturday night, Peyton Manning called a story alleging he used HGH in 2011 "complete garbage."

Although we don't doubt for a minute NFL players were using HGH in 2011 -- and some still do -- this report is a pretty weak one. Even the pharmacist who initially claimed Peyton took HGH has since backtracked repeatedly. "The allegation that I would do something like that is complete garbage and is totally made up," said Manning. "It never happened. Never. I really can't believe somebody would put something like this on the air. Whoever said this is making stuff up."

At the very least this could be a big enough distraction that Den loses Monday night

Agent says wifes medical history is private. Is this the hide behind my wife ....Brady denial   Strategy?

Al-Jazeera?

When it comes to news outlets, I am something of a cynic. Al-Jazeera's credibility isn't any more dubious than that of any of its three-initialed competitors in the western world (even if its bias is substantially different), but how often do they break stories about western athletes? Given the tendency of news outlets to sensationalize reports that are not 100% credible, I further have trouble with a news outlet breaking a story for which they would have little direct connection. It sounds more like a propaganda tactic than an actual story.

I hope I'm right. I didn't like seeing the Chiefs get kicked around by the Broncos for as long as I've followed the Chiefs, but I've regarded Peyton Manning highly for a long time (even if by a substantial margin he's not the best quarterback ever to play the game).

Al-Jazeera is pretty lame. However, there are witnesses, and a former employee who say its so. We'll see. My guess is it won't have much to do with their game Monday. It will be interesting to see what Elway does if the team loses to Cincinnati, and Manning is healthy enough to return against San Diego. 

Guest 303Chiefs

How can it be against the rules if he allegedly did them before they were illegal in the NFL? This whole things seems a bit shady to begin with.

Wonder if this isn't a ploy to get Manning to retire.

If it is true, it won't matter. What's the NFL going to do take games away from the Broncos? Nope. Take records away from Manning? Nope. This is a way for Denver to walk away from Manning and a way for the NFL to stop him from acting like Farve and embarrassing himself.

It happened close to 5 years ago so why now?

If you can get pass the name. Al-Jazzera has done some extraordinary investigative reporting on many issues. Beats CNN BS all day long.

Granted, this article about Al-Jazeera was published by a competing news outlet, but don't confuse perspective with objectivity. Just because one major and widely respected domestic news outlet has a very decided bias to it does not automatically mean that another news outlet is somehow free of its own bias merely because it is foreign.

Reading or listening to the news is like being a juror: You have to decide what matters and what doesn't, what sounds true, and what lacks credibility. American media have a long history of reporting instances of doping, and it's hard to say that they've played favorites along the way. Why didn't the 'sources' approach American media about their claims concerning Peyton Manning? Normally, that's what would be done in an instance like this. To me, that's what raises the red flag.

Guest Okiechief1

Be nice to know who has this video tape that was supposedly done as if it's accurate in what's on it, then it backs up everything in the story. Who did the video and why hasn't it been released is something else that needs to be answered. I would hope at least that the author verified their was one and what is on it before claiming their was one.

Maybe. Roger Clemens and Romanowski pointed to the wife too. 

Of course, but Manning isn't pointing a finger to anyone. A Middle-Eastern media outlet comes out with a story on one of America's most iconic sports figures five years after the fact during a time of major unrest in their region. Nothing smells fishy there, nothing. Add in this little tidbit on ESPN, with comments straight from Sly: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14441114/documentary-links-peyton-manning-other-pro-athletes-use-peds

Of course. A Middle-Eastern media outlet comes out with a story on one of America's most iconic sports figures five years after the fact during a time of major unrest in their region. Nothing smells fishy there, nothing. Add in this little tidbit on ESPN, with comments straight from Sly: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14441114/documentary-links-peyton-manning-other-pro-athletes-use-peds

Its not a middle east bias outlet. This report may indeed be BS. Al Jazeera has done some amazing underground reporting. I would trust this outlet as much as any US outlet. 

Of course, but Manning isn't pointing a finger to anyone. A Middle-Eastern media outlet comes out with a story on one of America's most iconic sports figures five years after the fact during a time of major unrest in their region. Nothing smells fishy there, nothing. Add in this little tidbit on ESPN, with comments straight from Sly: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14441114/documentary-links-peyton-manning-other-pro-athletes-use-peds

"When I realized Al Jazeera was using a secret taping and Collins as a so-called investigative reporter, I was baffled," Sly said. "I cannot believe that can happen. That's why I recanted the story. It wasn't true, and I was trying to pull one over on Collins to see if he had any idea of what he was talking about.

I am normally accustomed to seeing journalists record interviews with the permission of the interviewees. There is a time and place for covert recording. This situation is not one of them.

[Al-Jazeera is] not a middle east bias outlet.... 

This viewpoint is not reasonable. Every news outlet has both a bias and an agenda. Individual stories may attract attention in the short term, but bias is what holds regular readership/viewership. The agenda is ultimately making money.

I am not being cynical in saying this: This is the way of this world. Unless you are suggesting that there is some sort of conspiracy that prevented American news outlets from informing the public about specific claims of doping (which would run counter to what the media generally does in that regard), I can't comprehend why Al-Jazeera would be in a position to be the most informed about the subject.

Sensational reports doesn't necessarily have to be exaggerated, but there is a certain burden of proof needed to substantiate these reports, and Al-Jazeera appears to have cut corners in the information gathering process and thereby damaged the credibility of the report.

Guest 303Chiefs

So one guy is making all the accusations against a broad lists of athletes and performers... And they are all guilty until proven innocent, right?

I for one don't believe it and on top of that I like when these guys are jacked up and shit out there. It's more entertaining when they are bigger stronger and faster. Who cares if someone wants to heal faster.

Archived