• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for the guy....I REALLY like him.  I only have a few Chiefs on my twitter, but I have him because he's such a positive and fan friendly guy.  I wouldn't blame him at all for retiring if it scared him this much...

But on the business side of things...that makes passing Tyler Lockett over in the draft that much harder to swallow.  I honestly believe that if we didn't already have a smaller, speedy, KR/WR in DAT, the Chiefs would have grabbed him in the 3rd instead of Conley. 

As it stands, my gut tells already told meme we are gonna have to go after another WR in the first two rounds of the draft next year.  If DAT isn't around...it is certain...

I feel for the guy....I REALLY like him.  I only have a few Chiefs on my twitter, but I have him because he's such a positive and fan friendly guy.  I wouldn't blame him at all for retiring if it scared him this much...

But on the business side of things...that makes passing Tyler Lockett over in the draft that much harder to swallow.  I honestly believe that if we didn't already have a smaller, speedy, KR/WR in DAT, the Chiefs would have grabbed him in the 3rd instead of Conley. 

As it stands, my gut tells already told meme we are gonna have to go after another WR in the first two rounds of the draft next year.  If DAT isn't around...it is certain...

Would have had to trade up.  Conley was taken 7 picks after Lockett.

De'Anthony Thomas never was, and likely never would be, a true wide receiver. He was always intended to be a special teams player that could also hit the field for gadget plays.

The problem with that was that you can usually find that sort of player late in round five or six.

Has there been any direct indication that Thomas has lingering concerns about his exposure to concussions, or is this something fans are inferring merely because he has cleared the concussion protocol but has not returned to the field?

On a different note, I understand the potential concern about concussions from Thomas' viewpoint. I myself am beginning to question whether I can continue to watch football: It is a game that has always been inherently physical, and like most sports, creates the potential for significant, even occasionally life-altering injury. Because it used to be understood that "life-altering" injuries were extremely rare, I never had a problem watching the sport, thereby condoning it. I don't watch mixed martial arts sports or even boxing because the purpose and objective of those sports is to win by causing physical harm. While the purpose and objective of football has never directly been to cause physical harm, I am having increasing difficulty trying to reconcile the ethics I live by and the sport I've loved since childhood. I see the sport continue to evolve by virtue of the capability of its players, who are typically faster and stronger than they were thirty years ago, and this is undeniably leading to collisions between players that are more violent, and far more likely to cause significant and permanent physical damage.

I have not made a decision at this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if one day I make a clean break from football just as one turns off a light switch. Meanwhile, De'Anthony Thomas has a long life ahead of him, and if he decides that football isn't for him, I wish him success in his future endeavors. I also selfishly wish that he could have known this two years ago so that the Chiefs could have used their draft pick on another player. However, his obligation to his own health trumps any obligation to the Chiefs or to the NFL.

I must have missed this?  Is there a link to these "concerns?"

Couple of things I would add is that DAT played in the Pac 12 with some of the Big Boys...this is not his first rodeo.

He is also operating on a "rookie contract" and like all NFL Players...he NEEDS that first Free Agent Contract for the rest of his life.

w

Couple of things I would add is that DAT played in the Pac 12 with some of the Big Boys...this is not his first rodeo.

He is also operating on a "rookie contract" and like all NFL Players...he NEEDS that first Free Agent Contract for the rest of his life.

w

Like I mentioned, I haven't seen any hard evidence that Thomas is pondering retirement.

However, 49ers linebacker Chris Borland made waves in the NFL when following his rookie year he abruptly retired citing concussion concerns. He wasn't by any means a middling player, and had a far brighter future in the league than De'Anthony Thomas has thus far demonstrated for himself. Health is getting to be a bigger issue than it has been in previous years, and it's going to get even bigger.

w

We are reading between the lines. That is not always accurate. The Chiefs are talking to DAT and his agent, and they decided to give him another week off, even though he was at full practice for three days, and was released to play. The way it was worded indicated he was a healthy scratch. The speculation comes when the agent gets involved. Normally, if a player has some concerns of whether he is ready to play, it is between the team and that player. I have not heard of a case where the agent gets involved. The only reason an agent is involved is when they are trying to decide things dealing with the contract or money. 

D'Anthony Thomas did face a lot of big time players in college. As mentioned, it was before the concern over concussions. Right now there is a huge hype over head injuries. Advertisements for the movie "Concussion" sprinkle through NFL games. Players hear the talk. Some have decided not to take a risk. I am not aware when Thomas was out for a month due to a concussion in the past. This may all be answered for us Sunday. Thomas could appear on the field, and return kicks all game long. Until that happens, there is bound to be a question. Why did his agent and the Chiefs discuss whether Thomas should play?  Is it just something unusual that happened, and everything is OK? Or, is there something underneath? 

There is more to the Borland story than concussions....The 49ers off season had all sorts of players "running away" from the that trainwreck.

Like I said, this is news to me so I am looking forward to learning more about DAT and his plans.

w

There is more to the Borland story than concussions....The 49ers off season had all sorts of players "running away" from the that trainwreck.

You can run away from a team without running away from football entirely. Chris Borland showed enough promise that he could have demanded to be traded or released. He didn't. Instead he's out of football.

I can't comment on whether Borland would have stayed in football if the 49ers didn't go into 2015 looking like a shoe-in for a losing season, but everything I have read on the subject suggests that Borland had his share of injuries playing in the sport, and began to consider his alternatives to football along the way. His retirement announcement came weeks after the coaching staff was named, and soon after Patrick Willis' surprise retirement announcement, but months before Anthony Davis and Justin Smith retired, and long before Aldon Smith managed to get into his most recent bout of legal trouble that resulted in his release from the 49ers and an eventual one-year suspension. Borland left football quite some time before San Francisco's franchise went full-out dustbin conflagration.

I would not be surprised if thoses guys loved The coach and it played a heavy roll with several of them. I spent some time with one of the co-owners right after the trade for Alex and they seemed to love Kap. As much for his rough upbringing it seemed as anything.

He said that they sent Alex to scout Kap and Alex raved about him. I didn't gleen anything about Harbough during that time, but I can see him having different views and telling them to pound sand with their suggestions. I feel like the players were on his side in those opinions or at least perceived it that way.

Too many guys hung up their cleats when Harbaugh was let go to be pure coincidence.

We are reading between the lines. That is not always accurate. The Chiefs are talking to DAT and his agent, and they decided to give him another week off, even though he was at full practice for three days, and was released to play. The way it was worded indicated he was a healthy scratch. The speculation comes when the agent gets involved. Normally, if a player has some concerns of whether he is ready to play, it is between the team and that player. I have not heard of a case where the agent gets involved. The only reason an agent is involved is when they are trying to decide things dealing with the contract or money. 

D'Anthony Thomas did face a lot of big time players in college. As mentioned, it was before the concern over concussions. Right now there is a huge hype over head injuries. Advertisements for the movie "Concussion" sprinkle through NFL games. Players hear the talk. Some have decided not to take a risk. I am not aware when Thomas was out for a month due to a concussion in the past. This may all be answered for us Sunday. Thomas could appear on the field, and return kicks all game long. Until that happens, there is bound to be a question. Why did his agent and the Chiefs discuss whether Thomas should play?  Is it just something unusual that happened, and everything is OK? Or, is there something underneath? 

You are exactly right.  Concussions repeated too close together can be life destroying.  The movie was right.  The statistics don't lie. The Chiefs are right in their new approach and caution.  The Chiefs are in the lead, and every team will follow...rightfully so.  Once again, I have to post this pic.  Ole' Bulldog had the IQ of a bulldog before he even made this hit.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have made it.

screenshot_402_zpskn2bggld.jpg

I would not be surprised if thoses guys loved The coach and it played a heavy roll with several of them. I spent some time with one of the co-owners right after the trade for Alex and they seemed to love Kap. As much for his rough upbringing it seemed as anything.

He said that they sent Alex to scout Kap and Alex raved about him. I didn't gleen anything about Harbough during that time, but I can see him having different views and telling them to pound sand with their suggestions. I feel like the players were on his side in those opinions or at least perceived it that way.

Too many guys hung up their cleats when Harbaugh was let go to be pure coincidence.

Which co-owner are you talking about? Everything in San Francisco media says that Jim Harbaugh wore on the players. Some, like former Giants runningback Brandon Jacobs, seemed to never get along with him. Others wearied of him over time. Alex Boone was fairly vocal about his displeasure with Harbaugh in regards to the way he dealt with the players. Others were far too professional to be vocal about it. Every indication was that there was a locker room split over both Harbaugh and Kaepernick.

I'd question the validity of your 'inside information' concerning the 49ers, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick. For one thing, due to the lack of a Collective Bargaining Agreement, the players were locked out of their franchise's facilities in 2011 over a week before Colin Kaepernick's pro-day at Nevada. Alex Smith's communication with the 49ers' staff would have been impermissible, and it's hard to imagine he would have risked any sort of sanction for the sake of what could potentially have been his competition.

What are your sources, anyway?

Which co-owner are you talking about? Everything in San Francisco media says that Jim Harbaugh wore on the players. Some, like former Giants runningback Brandon Jacobs, seemed to never get along with him. Others wearied of him over time. Alex Boone was fairly vocal about his displeasure with Harbaugh in regards to the way he dealt with the players. Others were far too professional to be vocal about it. Every indication was that there was a locker room split over both Harbaugh and Kaepernick.

I'd question the validity of your 'inside information' concerning the 49ers, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick. For one thing, due to the lack of a Collective Bargaining Agreement, the players were locked out of their franchise's facilities in 2011 over a week before Colin Kaepernick's pro-day at Nevada. Alex Smith's communication with the 49ers' staff would have been impermissible, and it's hard to imagine he would have risked any sort of sanction for the sake of what could potentially have been his competition.

I don't have the article and I can't vouch for its accuracy, but I do remember reading that in 2012 about Smith scouting Kaepernick. I don't know the details in regard to timing of when he did this.

I just remember thinking that this either was a sign of how professional Smith was in not trying to downplay any of Kaepernick's skills when asked. Or it signified how much trust he had and himself and the organization before they backstabbed him. I mean, he was professional and trusting when they were rotating quarterbacks in games and professional when the quarterbacks switch was made. He wasn't a bitch when they pursued Manning and subsequently lied to everyone about it, though he did internally discuss things. This just ran in line with that.

That is totally fair and I back you up on calling me out. If I end up saying a name, I trust my friends on here will contact my wife and insist that I get a CAT scan because I obviously have suffered a brain injury. We are quick to cast judgement on people's validity. I remember a guy named Slim who was the poster child for not posting personal insight on this board. If you are concerned about your personal status as a source for knowledge, I respect that because I respect what you post. I enjoy what you post.

However, I honestly don't give two shits if you think I am full of crap or not. It just doesn't matter. I can share my opinions or experiences as I see fit. You can take it or leave it. I don't honestly care. The post wasn't meant for you. Nevertheless, I respect you regardless of what you think of me.

That is totally fair and I back you up on calling me out. If I end up saying a name, I trust my friends on here will contact my wife and insist that I get a CAT scan because I obviously have suffered a brain injury. We are quick to cast judgement on people's validity. I remember a guy named Slim who was the poster child for not posting personal insight on this board. If you are concerned about your personal status as a source for knowledge, I respect that because I respect what you post. I enjoy what you post.

However, I honestly don't give two *** if you think I am full of crap or not. It just doesn't matter. I can share my opinions or experiences as I see fit. You can take it or leave it. I don't honestly care. The post wasn't meant for you. Nevertheless, I respect you regardless of what you think of me.

I wasn't trying to strike at you personally. If you're not free to share sources, I understand. I have a source by hearsay that colors my viewpoint, but since such sources are not without their limitations and some risk of misinformation, when it comes to my own comments I'm careful that I don't stray too far from what is reported publicly so long as what's publicly available has some credibility. The 49ers present a strange case in that their current public information dissemination strategies have gone from being straightforward to a mix of misinformation and non-information.

With regard to the 49ers, I don't know what to believe any longer. I used to think that Jim Harbaugh was solely responsible for the promotion of Kaepernick over Smith, but information that has been leaked and developments that followed Jim Harbaugh's departure indicated that Colin Kaepernick was unquestionably intended for the starting quarterback role to begin 2015, and that in turn suggested that Jim Harbaugh ended up being a scapegoat for someone that remained inside the 49ers' organization. Whether that was for Jed York, Trent Baalke, Jim Tomsula, or someone else, I just don't know, and I don't expect to know until at least sometime after the departures of Colin Kaepernick, Jim Tomsula, and Trent Baalke.

I would be happy to entertain your opinion on this regardless of how divergent it was from what I presently understand, but because there were elements in the account you provided that did not match up with certain known facts, I pointed them out. As for myself, I am not a source of information; I can only interpret what I come to know. My background in football is limited and not worth mentioning. If I strongly believe something, I will generally state my reasons for doing so, and will stick by them even if for a time the viewpoint is unpopular. Sometimes I end up being right, and sometimes I end up being wrong. In any case, I would hate to think that in the course of disagreement I was being uncivil, or would be thought of by others as being so, so for the reason that I was less than tactful in my response to you, I do apologize.

Archived