Week 17 Playoff Scenarios Spelled Out

1. If KC wins and Denver wins, we play the Texans regardless of what any other team does, though the 3rd, 6th, 2nd, and 1st seeds could change around.

2. If KC wins and Denver loses, we will likely host Denver in the WC round. UNLESS:

2a. If the Jets lose, we will instead host the Steelers.

2b. If the Jets and Steelers lose, we will host the Jets.

3. If KC loses and Denver wins, we will likely play the Broncos on the road. UNLESS:

3a. If the Jets lose, we will play the Texans on the road.

3b. If the Jets win and the Bengals lose, we will play the Bengals on the road.

4. If KC and Denver lose, we will play Denver on the road. UNLESS:

4a. If the Jets lose, we will play the Texans on the road.

IN OTHER WORDS:

We host Denver if: KC wins, Denver loses, and Jets win.

We host the Jets if: KC wins, Denver loses, and the Jets and Steelers lose.

We will host the Steelers if: KC wins, Denver loses, the Jets lose, and the Steelers win.

We will play Denver on the road if: KC loses, Denver wins, the Jets win, and Bengals win.

We will play Denver on the road if: KC loses, Denver loses, and the Jets win.

We will play the Bengals on the road if: KC loses, Denver wins, Jets lose, and Bengals lose.

We will play Houston on the road if: If Denver and KC wins.

We will play Houston if: KC loses, Denver wins, and the Jets lose.

We will play Houston if: KC, Denver, and Jets lose,

The Jets, Bengals, and Steelers play before we do.

If the Jets and Bengals win:

1. We host Denver if we win and they lose.

2. We will play Denver on the road if we lose, regardless of what Denver does.

3. We will play the Texans if we both win.

If Jets win and Bengals lose:

1. We will host the Jets if we win and Denver loses.

2. We will play the Texans if we lose and Denver wins.

3. We will play Denver if we both lose.

If the Jets lose, Bengals win, and Steelers win:

1. We will host the Steelers if we win and Denver loses.

2. We will play the Texans on the Road if Denver wins, regardless of what we do.

If the Jets lose, Bengals lose, and Steelers win:

1. We will host the Steelers if we win and Denver loses.

2. We will play the Bengals on the road if we lose and Denver wins.

3. We will play the Texans if we both lose.

If the Jets, Bengals, and Steelers lose:

1. We will host the Jets if we win and Denver loses.

2. We will play the Bengals on the Road if we lose and Denver wins.

3. We will play the Texans if we both lose.

There might be more, but I have to go right now.

The key seems to be the Jets winning. We want them to win if we don't want to play the Steelers or Bengals. If the Jets lose and we don't want to play the Steelers, it might be better to lose or for Denver to win.

Having said that, I think we could beat or lose to the Steelers. I don't think they are as strong as people make them out to be, but I think they had their wake up call.

1. If KC wins and Denver wins, we play the Texans regardless of what any other team does, though the 3rd, 6th, 2nd, and 1st seeds could change around.

2. If KC wins and Denver loses, we will likely host Denver in the WC round. UNLESS:

2a. If the Jets lose, we will instead host the Steelers.

2b. If the Jets and Steelers lose, we will host the Jets.

3. If KC loses and Denver wins, we will likely play the Broncos on the road. UNLESS:

3a. If the Jets lose, we will play the Texans on the road.

3b. If the Jets win and the Bengals lose, we will play the Bengals on the road.

4. If KC and Denver lose, we will play Denver on the road. UNLESS:

4a. If the Jets lose, we will play the Texans on the road.

IN OTHER WORDS:

We host Denver if: KC wins, Denver loses, and Jets win.

We host the Jets if: KC wins, Denver loses, and the Jets and Steelers lose.

We will host the Steelers if: KC wins, Denver loses, the Jets lose, and the Steelers win.

We will play Denver on the road if: KC loses, Denver wins, the Jets win, and Bengals win.

We will play Denver on the road if: KC loses, Denver loses, and the Jets win.

We will play the Bengals on the road if: KC loses, Denver wins, Jets lose, and Bengals lose.

We will play Houston on the road if: If Denver and KC wins.

We will play Houston if: KC loses, Denver wins, and the Jets lose.

We will play Houston if: KC, Denver, and Jets lose,

Testing.

I'll try to simplify this:

If the Chiefs win the AFC West because in week 17 the Chiefs win and the Broncos lose, the Chiefs would seed third and host the Wild Card playoff against one of the following:

1) The Broncos (if the Jets win)

2) The Jets (if the Jets and Steelers both lose)

3) The Steelers (if the Jets lose and the Steelers win)

• If the Chiefs win but the Broncos also win (or if the Chiefs lose but the Jets also lose), the Chiefs would seed fifth and play on the road against the eventual winner of the AFC South:

1) The Texans (if in week 17 either the Texans win, the Colts lose, or the Colts win but fail to tie with the Texans in the Strength of Victory tie-breaker and go on to win the Strength of Schedule tie-breaker)

2) The Colts (only if all of the following happen: The Colts win, the Jaguars win, the Steelers win, the Broncos win, the Falcons win, the Bills win, the Dolphins win, the Ravens win, and the Raiders win)

• If the Chiefs lose and the Jets win, the Chiefs would seed sixth and play on the road against one of the following:

1) The Bengals (if the Broncos win)

2) The Broncos (if the Broncos lose and the Bengals win)

I want Denver at home. Let's go Jets and Browns!

I wish there was a way that both the Donkos and Chargers could lose, but alas. Go Chargers?

Thank you for the breakdown!

Man, I can't even read my own breakdown, but I don't believe the Browns game is relevant if the Jets win.

I'll try to simplify this:

If the Chiefs win the AFC West because in week 17 the Chiefs win and the Broncos lose, the Chiefs would seed third and host the Wild Card playoff against one of the following:

1) The Broncos (if the Jets win)

2) The Jets (if the Jets and Steelers both lose)

3) The Steelers (if the Jets lose and the Steelers win)

If the Chiefs win but the Broncos also win (or if the Chiefs lose but the Jets also lose), the Chiefs would seed fifth and play on the road against the eventual winner of the AFC South:

1) The Texans (if in week 17 either the Texans win, the Colts lose, or the Colts win but fail to tie with the Texans in the Strength of Victory tie-breaker and go on to win the Strength of Schedule tie-breaker)

2) The Colts (only if all of the following happen: The Colts win, the Jaguars win, the Steelers win, the Broncos win, the Falcons win, the Bills win, the Dolphins win, the Ravens win, and the Raiders win)

If the Chiefs lose and the Jets win, the Chiefs would seed sixth and play on the road against one of the following:

1) The Bengals (if the Broncos win)

2) The Broncos (if the Broncos lose and the Bengals win)

So if the Chiefs lose and Jets win, it doesn't matter what the Bengals do if the Broncos win? I think you need to add a scenario for the Bengals and Broncos winning with the Jets and us losing.

So if the Chiefs lose and Jets win, it doesn't matter what the Bengals do if the Broncos win? I think you need to add a scenario for the Bengals and Broncos winning with the Jets and us losing.

The Broncos own both two-way and three-way tie-breakers over both the Patriots and the Bengals, while the Patriots own the two-way tie-breaker over the Bengals. The Bengals can't seed higher than third now if the Broncos win in week 17.

The Broncos could potentially seed anywhere in the playoffs except for fourth. Their seeding would be determined by the following:

1) Broncos win + Patriots loss

2) Broncos win + Patriots win or Broncos loss + Bengals loss + Chiefs loss

3) Broncos loss + Chiefs loss + Bengals win

5) Broncos loss + Chiefs win + Jets loss

6) Broncos loss + Chiefs win + Jets win

I thought the Broncos and Bengals could actually end their game in a tie last night. That would have been bad news for the Chiefs, just as it was for them to win. Now that they won, they still have to defeat the Chargers. Denver did not inspire confidence, nor did Cincinnati. Both quarterbacks showed inconsistencies. 

There is one game remaining. The odds of this game coming down to a tie is extremely low. Would that not be the worst way for the Chiefs? If the Chiefs did their part, and the Broncos ended up in a tie with the Chargers at the end of overtime, I cannot think of a worse outcome. 

There is one game remaining. The odds of this game coming down to a tie is extremely low. Would that not be the worst way for the Chiefs? If the Chiefs did their part, and the Broncos ended up in a tie with the Chargers at the end of overtime, I cannot think of a worse outcome. 

I don't understand why it could be worse: The result of a Broncos tie would be the same as that of a Broncos win.

I'm happy that the Chiefs are ultimately in the playoffs, but the Chiefs are clinging to the hope of a Broncos loss right now because they fumbled away the win in week 2. If the Chiefs had won that game and everything else remained the same, the Chiefs would have entered week 17 with the AFC West title clinched, and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs with a win and a Patriots loss, or at least a playoff bye with a win and a Bengals loss.

At least the Chiefs have stopped turning over the football at the pace they had through week six.

One of the best games of the NFL season Monday night ended just before midnight with the Denver Broncos clinching a playoff berth. That was only one result an overtime classic that had more on the line than any game all season.

Here is all the fallout you need to know from the game:

1. With the victory, the Broncos avoided free-falling out of the playoffs and kept control of the AFC West. They now can clinch the division and a playoff bye next week with a home victory over the four-win Chargers.

We wouldn't quite hand the Broncos the division just yet. San Diego has played better the last two weeks and Denver did slip up recently in a home loss to Oakland. But Broncos fans have to feel a lot better than they did when they were trailing 14-0 to the Bengals on Monday night.

2. The Bengals missed a golden opportunity to make the Divisional Round after building the two touchdown lead. Cincinnati no longer has a chance to win the No. 1 seed in the AFC. That's especially damaging because Andy Dalton is not expected to be ready to play on Wild Card Weekend. A.J. McCarron would wind up winning a playoff game before Dalton. 

The Bengals could still win a playoff bye, however, if they beat the Ravensnext week and the Broncos slip up against San Diego. If nothing else, perhaps missing the bye gives Marvin Lewis a better chance to end his playoff drought. 

3. The Chiefs narrowly missed jumping into first place in the AFC West because of the Broncos loss. They remain in the No. 5 slot, and could still win the division next week if they win and the Broncoslose. Kansas City's home game against the Raiders starts at the same time as the Broncos-Chargers. So the Chiefs need to play to win. 

4. The Colts remain alive! Part one of their ten-part dream to win the AFC South came through with the Broncos win. Unfortunately, Indianapolis might have to start Stephen Morris at quarterback against Tennessee in the season finale.

5. The Texans, meanwhile, presumably will play to win next week with the division not technically clinched yet. It's a weird situation. The Colts had roughly a 3,300-to-1 chance to win the division before Monday night's game. The Broncos win increases that slightly, but it's a bizarre situation for Houston. They have essentially made the playoffs without actually making the playoffs. 

6. The Broncos clinching a playoff spot eliminated one potential path for the Steelers to get into the playoffs. Now it's simple: Pittsburgh needs to beat Cleveland, and hope Rex Ryan exacts revenge in a win over the New York Jets

The Jets-Bills matchup is the most interesting on the AFC slate in Week 17 despite all the injuries for the Bills. Rex Ryan has a track record of emotional finales, and it would be ironic if the Jets were on the wrong end of things this time around. Buffalo's banged-up roster and lackluster recent play makes an upset unlikely. But this is the NFL. It's far more likely than the Ravens beating the Steelers. And this same Jets team trailed Kellen Mooreand the Cowboys in the fourth quarter just a week ago. 

7. The Patriots will earn the No. 1 seed in the AFC with a win in Miami next week. Losing that game early in the day would open the door for the Broncos to earn home-field advantage in the afternoon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000611751/article/seven-playoff-implications-from-broncos-victory

I thought the Broncos and Bengals could actually end their game in a tie last night. That would have been bad news for the Chiefs, just as it was for them to win. Now that they won, they still have to defeat the Chargers. Denver did not inspire confidence, nor did Cincinnati. Both quarterbacks showed inconsistencies.

A tie yesterday between the Bengals and the Broncos would've been better for us because then if the Chargers tied Denver, we would win. A 10-4-2 record is the same as a 11-5? If it weren't used against me, I would argue that 10-4-2 is better, but since I want it to be the same, it's the same, right? ;)

I am hearing that the Bengals are on their 3rd string QB. McCarron broke his wrist on the last play of the game not just a sprain. I don't have any official source except a friend that is a huge Bengals fan and he said that he is out for the rest of the season because the left hand can not take the snap from under center,

Archived