Chip Kelly Fired

oldtimer

I think he had a fairly good plan, but he made a few errors.  Releasing Mathis was dumb and letting Maclin walk was a mistake.

Defense was fairly solid until injuries ravaged them and Bradford would had done well if the Guard play wasn't a total dump.  Firing a coach with a winning record typically doesn't work out.

I don't really think he's a douche or anything.

Think he's more socially awkward than anything and he comes across as a dick in result. Gotta have really good social skills to be a good HC.

Philbin never stood a chance for the same reason.

He's a douche. Thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Kelly was a coach with innovative ideas having significant merit, but he didn't know everything he needed to know to be able to run everything by himself.

In addition to not being a likable or respectable guy, there are three circumstances that I think fundamentally worked to the disadvantage of Kelly's system:

The length of the season: There's a significant difference between the length of the NFL season and the length of the college season. Even the most fit and conditioned players can't maintain their level of stamina and mental focus at as high a level for as many games as was necessary in Kelly's system.

Capitalism in the NFL: "Buying into a system" is merely a catchphrase in the NFL. If a player feels like the coach's decisions as to when they get played or when they sit will affect their free agency prospects, it will breed resentment, which in turn leads to apathy toward what should be a common goal: Helping the team win.

• The dimensions of the football field: The field is only 53⅓ yards wide, and the ball will always be snapped within at least 26⅔ yards of one of the sidelines. Speed is a tremendous asset on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage, but it is not as important on the offensive side: You can only move laterally for so long as an offensive player, and when it comes to the energy expended to move toward the opponent's goal line, the wider a play is run, the more the math favors the defense.

If any of the three above elements change so that seasons are shorter, paychecks are more even, and/or the football fields are wider, it gives an advantage to conditioning that has little effect on scheme. Where Kelly really failed was in implementing an effective scheme that accounted for both sides of the ball. In Kelly's tenure, his team never ranked less than second in the league in most defensive snaps, and that is a bad thing. If Kelly could have combined his conditioning philosophies within the context of an NFL-relevant scheme, his teams might have managed better than a 26-22 record including a single post-season appearance --  a loss.

I'd say that he probably has aspergers.

Lurie has the egg in his face mostly. Hr gave the guy full control and was spooked in less than a year. At least give him time to implement it. Going 6-9 after 2 ten win seasons isn't really Herm or Romeo territory.

Maybe a mild version, if there is such a thing. It seems like he would have had issues coaching in college also. 

Maybe a mild version, if there is such a thing. It seems like he would have had issues coaching in college also.

I knew he absolutely hated recruiting.

I remember hearing a story about a booster taking his grandson around the facility and ended up running into Chip Kelly. Said something like "you've got a future LB here" and Chip just gave them a blank stare.

I really just think he has no social skills, at all.

Archived