Wildcard Round - Kansas City Chiefs at Houston Texans Game Week Thread

The Chiefs defense has been one of the best all year.  My point was that they seem to have trouble shutting down the other team late in the game with the Chiefs leading.  I blame some of that on the "prevent" defense which only prevents victories and some on the lack of Houston and Abdullah in the lineup recently.  It was eleven weeks and more ago, but those DEN and CHI last minute TD dries still haunt me.

That's not necessarily the case. Penalties, have played a big part into that as well. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe if the Chiefs play like they did against the Raiders, minus the interceptions, they will win. I'm talking about smart, clean football. No stupid penalties (KELCE). They just have to make sure they have the lead entering the 4th quarter. This D doesn't play nice in the 4th.

And ffs, please, no injuries this time. Last playoff game we had JC and Flowers go out, which turned out to be Huge. We couldn't run down the clock and couldn't cover Hilton after those injuries. It's that hard turf that can cause sudden, unexpected injuries. I think Houston has the same turf.

Play smart, no turnovers, and no injuries = blowout

lol the Texans board is a laugh

They think they are a super improved team and already looking ahead to who they will play next week.

I am sure they think the same thing when they see outboard. But I think we are more likely to be right.

I've been over to a few Texans message boards and I have learned a lot about the reasons the Texans will beat the Chiefs on Saturday:

#1 The Chiefs don't scare anybody. Now I'm not sure scaring is a big deal in the NFL is it? How many teams does a franchise face and think "Wow..they scare me?" The Chiefs win games whether they "scare" anyone or not. I'll take wins over a non scared team any day.

#2 The Texans are not the same team the Chiefs faced in week 1. I can honestly say few teams end a season exactly the way they started. You hope for improvement along the way. BTW...which team showed the greatest improvement over the season? A team that went 1-5 and wound up 11-5? The Chiefs aren't the same team either.

#3 No Jamaal Charles. This is kinda funny. Shows the Texans' fans don't watch much Chiefs football.

#4 Winning streaks have to end at some point. This is a very true statement. I heard it from Oakland fans, Cleveland fans, Ravens fans, Charger fans....The Chiefs will eventually lose a game. Not sure there is any great indicator that it will be against the Texans though.

#5 Chiefs barely beat Oakland and San Diego--and the Texans are much better than those teams. Well I think it's well documented that the Chiefs played better on the road than at home this year. I think that bodes well for Saturday's game. If we get Houston and Abdullah back I feel pretty confident in the Chiefs.

#6 JJ Watt. I love JJ Watt. He gives 100% effort on every play. But a smart coach can exploit his game to a degree. We need to try and establish the run game. Go right at him. His pursuit ability is tremendous but I've watched enough Texans games to know if you go at him it neutralizes much of his skill set. As good as JJ watt is...one player (other than a QB) should not determine the game.

I've been over to a few Texans message boards and I have learned a lot about the reasons the Texans will beat the Chiefs on Saturday:

#1 The Chiefs don't scare anybody. Now I'm not sure scaring is a big deal in the NFL is it? How many teams does a franchise face and think "Wow..they scare me?" The Chiefs win games whether they "scare" anyone or not. I'll take wins over a non scared team any day.

#2 The Texans are not the same team the Chiefs faced in week 1. I can honestly say few teams end a season exactly the way they started. You hope for improvement along the way. BTW...which team showed the greatest improvement over the season? A team that went 1-5 and wound up 11-5? The Chiefs aren't the same team either.

#3 No Jamaal Charles. This is kinda funny. Shows the Texans' fans don't watch much Chiefs football.

#4 Winning streaks have to end at some point. This is a very true statement. I heard it from Oakland fans, Cleveland fans, Ravens fans, Charger fans....The Chiefs will eventually lose a game. Not sure there is any great indicator that it will be against the Texans though.

#5 Chiefs barely beat Oakland and San Diego--and the Texans are much better than those teams. Well I think it's well documented that the Chiefs played better on the road than at home this year. I think that bodes well for Saturday's game. If we get Houston and Abdullah back I feel pretty confident in the Chiefs.

#6 JJ Watt. I love JJ Watt. He gives 100% effort on every play. But a smart coach can exploit his game to a degree. We need to try and establish the run game. Go right at him. His pursuit ability is tremendous but I've watched enough Texans games to know if you go at him it neutralizes much of his skill set. As good as JJ watt is...one player (other than a QB) should not determine the game.

All valid points. No team in the AFC Playoffs is that much better than the other. No reason Houston can not win this game. If they execute better than KC and dont have one of those NFL unlucky bounces or horrific referee calls...they can win. Same goes for KC. Injuries during these games are critical too. Should be a very fierce contest.

Kansas City 8

Houston     17

Whereas I do believe the Texans don't score more than 20 points....I think the Chiefs will do a little more than 8 points. Royals win the World Series, Jayhawks #1 in the country...Chiefs winners of 10 in a row to make the playoffs....don't ruin my fan glow. :)

Whereas I do believe the Texans don't score more than 20 points....I think the Chiefs will do a little more than 8 points. Royals win the World Series, Jayhawks #1 in the country...Chiefs winners of 10 in a row to make the playoffs....don't ruin my fan glow. :)

It's his thing right now. Not his belief.

Its a new season. Most of the previous fantasy stats and over analysis matter little. What matters is who makes big plays and who turns the ball over less. That team will win.

Most Players will find a higher level of energy. 

Should be a true battle.

KC 16-13

Holthus: You had Tamba Hali back yesterday. What about his availability for the Texans and then I have to bring up Justin Houston. How much of a chance is there J-Hou will play in Houston?

Reid: We're going to Houston and we're taking Houston with us. We gotta play him don't we? He's gotta go and do his thing. Right?

Holthus: Absolutely. Best news we've heard all night.

Holthus: You had Tamba Hali back yesterday. What about his availability for the Texans and then I have to bring up Justin Houston. How much of a chance is there J-Hou will play in Houston?

Reid: We're going to Houston and we're taking Houston with us. We gotta play him don't we? He's gotta go and do his thing. Right?

Holthus: Absolutely. Best news we've heard all night.

Good news, but I don't trust anything coming out of Arrowhead 1 when it comes to injury reports.  Maybe all teams are the same, but when Houston lines up in the defense, then we'll know he's going to play.

I do not think Reid is holding anything back with this offense. The past few games have been way to close. The oline is simply not close to good. He has to call plays and compensate for this below average line. Especially in pass protection.

I dont see that the line has improved as much as the competition was less. This week against the Texans will let us see what is real vs imagined.

Even in our Colts Regular Season game in 2013, people came on here and swore we weren't holding anything back. Then, on the road, came the Colts playoff game where we got 378 yards passing, a bunch running, and scored 44. It wasn't enough, but it seemed clear that we were playing vanilla in Week 16.

Even in our Colts Regular Season game in 2013, people came on here and swore we weren't holding anything back. Then, on the road, came the Colts playoff game where we got 378 yards passing, a bunch running, and scored 44. It wasn't enough, but it seemed clear that we were playing vanilla in Week 16.

I'm having a Chiefs party at my house for a bunch of the regulars in my group and fixing ribs and smoking brats.   Everytime I host it is GUARANTEED that we lose.

Remember back to 1997 when I ordered five large pizzas and the pizza man brought them just before Lin Elliott missed his 3rd field goal.  After he missed it everybody got up and went home and left me with a bunch of pizzas.  I don't want to jinx them but this seems to be the only common denominator.

Archived