Wildcard Round - Kansas City Chiefs at Houston Texans Game Week Thread

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time we won a playoff game was with Joe Montana. Everyone knows the talk about us getting SF's castoffs. Wouldn't it be nice to say that we had to go to SF to get a playoff winner instead? Please, Chiefs, win this game. I don't care if all our points are kickoff returns, defensive fumble returns for the Chiefs, and pick sixes of Hoyer. Just win. A safety for a 2-0 win, fine. Just win.

I'm a little surprised that the network analysts haven't brought up the idea about Hoyer facing the Chiefs defense. I hear a lot about how ferocious the Texans D can be...but truthfully, I think the Chiefs are a more balanced defense AND we can match the Texans in the sack department. Hoyer has zero playoff experience. Nothing is guaranteed, but it would appear Smith is the better bet at leading his respective team to a victory.

Add in the fact they lost their starting Left Tackle?? Chiefs D could really be the difference on Saturday.

I'm a little surprised that the network analysts haven't brought up the idea about Hoyer facing the Chiefs defense. I hear a lot about how ferocious the Texans D can be...but truthfully, I think the Chiefs are a more balanced defense AND we can match the Texans in the sack department. Hoyer has zero playoff experience. Nothing is guaranteed, but it would appear Smith is the better bet at leading his respective team to a victory.

Add in the fact they lost their starting Left Tackle?? Chiefs D could really be the difference on Saturday.

Ditto.................My understanding is the guy filling in at LT is still pretty good.

I've thought that a Wildcard win would placate me, but I'm guessing if we get it, I will change to say a Divisional Round win will do so. So on and so forth. I hope they win through the pressure of not wanting to make me specifically sad and upset. I am that important. ;)

I'm having a Chiefs party at my house for a bunch of the regulars in my group and fixing ribs and smoking brats.   Everytime I host it is GUARANTEED that we lose.

Remember back to 1997 when I ordered five large pizzas and the pizza man brought them just before Lin Elliott missed his 3rd field goal.  After he missed it everybody got up and went home and left me with a bunch of pizzas.  I don't want to jinx them but this seems to be the only common denominator.

Two fatal mistakes.  The game was after the 1995 season and it's vulgar to mention the name of the kicker in that game.  I'll never forget it.  The coldest game I've ever attended and no way could we lose.  Along with the ninth inning, fifth game loss to the Yankees by the Royals in the late seventies, it was the worst sports day in my life.

KC 9, Houston 6.  KC scores five in the seventh inning to advance in the playoffs.  Oops, wrong sport.

Chiefs 23,  Texans 17

Chiefs need to run the ball down there throat. Texans are 3 Rd in pass defence and they want u to pass. Reid, take wre and west and unleash them. Let's get nasty up front and start the game with our o line doing the punching. I can't wait! I think ware is going to be the catalyst for this game.

Chiefs 24-13.

Our last playoff win was against Houston. The Royals first playoff game this year was Houston. We used to be from Texas.

I just want to be asking whether we want Cincinnati or Steelers to win after our game (if we lose, we shouldn't care who wins that game).

I say I don't believe in jinxes, and I know they are not real;  but I still have little things I won't do or say.  The Chiefs are either good enough or they are not. I think Reid will have the Chiefs ready.

Shut up! You can't say that jinxes aren't real. If you do, they become real. I mean, they always were real. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to talk as if they were at any point not real!

Ha ha!  

Off the subject of jinxes, I've read and heard that Texans fans are confident that they can beat the Chiefs. It's just me, but I like to view stats of teams, and compare them and their opponents. If you were to reverse the schedules & states of the Chiefs and Texans, I wouldn't be confident about the Chiefs. 

What I mean is, if the Texans were 11-5, with the same stats as the Chiefs (405 points scored and 287 points scored against) coming off a 10 game win streak, and the Chiefs were 9-7 with the same stats as the Texans ( 339 points scored and 313 points scored against).  If this were the situation I would be very worried about the Chiefs in this game, even if they were coming to Arrowhead.  

On paper, I feel like the Chiefs should win this game, but that doesn't always mean anything. It seems less-stressful to just be like most fans and think your team can win no matter what. 

I remember being worried in 2013 when the Chiefs were playing the Colts. I was at work when that game started and the Chiefs were kicking the crap out of the Colts, it felt really good. By the time I got home, Andrew Luck and the Colts were mounting their comeback. 

I'm starting to think too much about this game, man it sucks when your team hasn't won a playoff game in over twenty years.

1/23/94 Buffalo 1993 AFC Championship L 13-30 - Jim Kelly

12/31/94 Miami 1994 AFC Wild Card L, 17-27 - Dan Marino

1/7/96 Indianapolis 1995 AFC Divisional L, 7-10 - Jim Harbaugh

1/4/98 Denver 1997 AFC Divisional L, 10-14 - John Elway

1/11/04 Indianapolis 2003 AFC Divisional L, 31-38 - Peyton Manning

1/6/07 Indianapolis 2006 AFC Wild Card L, 8-23 - Peyton Manning

1/9/11 Baltimore 2010 AFC Wild Card L, 7-30 - Joe Flacco

So this is the Chiefs playoff drought. 5 out of the 7 losses were against a hall of fame quarterback. This week is against Brian Hoyer. I think it's time for the Chiefs to get that playoff W. No excuses this time, I don't care if they're on the road.

1/23/94 Buffalo 1993 AFC Championship L 13-30 - Jim Kelly

12/31/94 Miami 1994 AFC Wild Card L, 17-27 - Dan Marino

1/7/96 Indianapolis 1995 AFC Divisional L, 7-10 - Jim Harbaugh

1/4/98 Denver 1997 AFC Divisional L, 10-14 - John Elway

1/11/04 Indianapolis 2003 AFC Divisional L, 31-38 - Peyton Manning

1/6/07 Indianapolis 2006 AFC Wild Card L, 8-23 - Peyton Manning

1/9/11 Baltimore 2010 AFC Wild Card L, 7-30 - Joe Flacco

So this is the Chiefs playoff drought. 5 out of the 7 losses were against a hall of fame quarterback. This week is against Brian Hoyer. I think it's time for the Chiefs to get that playoff W. No excuses this time, I don't care if they're on the road.

Yeah, and even the QB's on that list who are not hall-of-famers were better than what the Chiefs had. 

Ha ha!  

Off the subject of jinxes, I've read and heard that Texans fans are confident that they can beat the Chiefs. It's just me, but I like to view stats of teams, and compare them and their opponents. If you were to reverse the schedules & states of the Chiefs and Texans, I wouldn't be confident about the Chiefs. 

What I mean is, if the Texans were 11-5, with the same stats as the Chiefs (405 points scored and 287 points scored against) coming off a 10 game win streak, and the Chiefs were 9-7 with the same stats as the Texans ( 339 points scored and 313 points scored against).  If this were the situation I would be very worried about the Chiefs in this game, even if they were coming to Arrowhead.  

On paper, I feel like the Chiefs should win this game, but that doesn't always mean anything. It seems less-stressful to just be like most

fans and think your team can win no matter what. 

I remember being worried in 2013 when the Chiefs were playing the Colts. I was at work when that game started and the Chiefs were kicking the crap out of the Colts, it felt really good. By the time I got home, Andrew Luck and the Colts were mounting their comeback. 

I'm starting to think too much about this game, man it sucks when your team hasn't won a playoff game in over twenty years.

I agree. When you lay out games played it gets me worried. I hope DJ, tamba and others who were around when Romeo was here can help our o in regards to how they play d and where to attack. Cross my fingers.

The Chiefs led Houston 27-9 with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter during week 1. This Chiefs secondary, that let Hopkins torch them week 1, is now lights out with Sean Smith in the lineup instead of Flemming, an Eric Berry in game shape, and a much more experienced Peters on the other side. Also, the Chiefs offensive line is much better than they were week 1. I've got the Chiefs big and keeping it that way this time around.

Chiefs 27

Texans 13

The Chiefs led Houston 27-9 with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter during week 1. This Chiefs secondary, that let Hopkins torch them week 1, is now lights out with Sean Smith in the lineup instead of Flemming, an Eric Berry in game shape, and a much more experienced Peters on the other side. Also, the Chiefs offensive line is much better than they were week 1. I've got the Chiefs big and keeping it that way this time around.

Chiefs 27

Texans 13

I remember Soren Petro calling for Smith's head after the MN lost. He was urging that we should put in Daniels, and the season was a lost. I think we all had similar feelings. I'm glad Reid and Pederson put a little more trust in Alex as well, it's definitely paid off his confidence is through the roof.

I remember Soren Petro calling for Smith's head after the MN lost. He was urging that we should put in Daniels, and the season was a lost. I think we all had similar feelings. I'm glad Reid and Pederson put a little more trust in Alex as well, it's definitely paid off his confidence is through the roof.

It was under the same theory. When people said to put in Daniel, they were saying what could it hurt, the season was lost, could only do good or get us a better draft pick. Giving Smith more chances to audible or check into a play, was sort of like, what could it hurt? It was a point of no return, in my opinion. Try it and see what happens. It helped us in many occasions, though the majority of the plays are run as called.

Even though they use the dreaded game manager moniker, it was three against one in this panel when it came to actually watching the Chiefs. Three of the panelists knew that we were going deeper and making more difficult throws than previous years. The one on the left wanted to cling to whatever his beliefs were. I think he expected people to join in on doubting our team play. Who cares who gets the credit, the question was whether we could win.

If our defense is so good, then the question is whether we can win with that defense by our offense playing our style. The better the defense is the less good offense needs to be and if the offense doesn't need to be that good, that should help us to win with the offensive capability of the team. Reminded me of that segment with Brady Quinn. But, But, BUT.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-nfl/0ap3000000618531/Will-Texans-defense-overtake-Alex-Smith-and-Chiefs-offense-in-AFC-playoffs

Even though they use the dreaded game manager moniker, it was three against one in this panel when it came to actually watching the Chiefs. Three of the panelists knew that we were going deeper and making more difficult throws than previous years. The one on the left wanted to cling to whatever his beliefs were. I think he expected people to join in on doubting our team play. Who cares who gets the credit, the question was whether we could win.

If our defense is so good, then the question is whether we can win with that defense by our offense playing our style. The better the defense is the less good offense needs to be and if the offense doesn't need to be that good, that should help us to win with the offensive capability of the team. Reminded me of that segment with Brady Quinn. But, But, BUT.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-nfl/0ap3000000618531/Will-Texans-defense-overtake-Alex-Smith-and-Chiefs-offense-in-AFC-playoffs

Yes the defense is definitely good enough to win with an average offense. During the streak the offense was never really required to drive down the field to win a game though the defense was forced to hang on at the end because the offense couldn't get a 1st down or 2. Offense scored 10 points vs Chargers and only 17 points vs Browns, 2 weak defenses. Without this defense, we're talking about the draft right now.

Sigh. This offense is above average. We have one of the smartest QB's at the helm who manages the game, a deadly duo of RB's named West and Ware who compliment each other, a pro-bowl TE who is arguably one of the best in the league and has incredible agility & speed for someone his size, an absolute stud at WR who catches anything he can get his hands on (and a nice compliment on the other side of the field we have Wilson who gets free of his defender), an offensive line who is young yet talented and well-coached, and the man behind the blueprints is Andy Reid who, and I quote from JC, is "a crazy offensive minded coach" who draws up new and better plays in his sleep. 

They will surprise their own fans come Saturday, like they did in the last playoff game vs the Colts. Everyone was so focused on Jamaal being the offensive key, and they put up 44 points without him. And they will surprise everyone else in this game because the Texans are supposed to have a big bad defense with a legendary sackmaster. Yea, we'll find out if that's truly true in the playoffs.

That last playoff game was on the defense, and this year's defense is twice the defense of the 2013 season. This secondary is sick. The front seven is nastier with the addition of Howard. The only thing to know is if this team has the heart - and you best believe they do with EB aka stuntforpresident beating the thing that has killed too many.

31-13 ........ KC wins  

Reid is a schemer. I believe he's unleashing this offense come Saturday..

and if they are to lose, it will be on only the players. Sad but true :(

Archived