Excitement?

The good news is that there's no team in the AFC that's much better than the Chiefs. The bad news is that the Chiefs also aren't dominating. The two wildcards, PIT and KC are just as good as NE or DEN, but they both could lose in the first round. This is the most wide open playoff in AFC history. I think the Chiefs have a good road to the championship game, but they could just as easily lose in Houston. One turnover, one special teams score, one key injury, one stupid penalty could determine any playoff game this year. It will be fun to watch, but I'd not bet on any team this year. The NFC has Carolina, AZ, and SEA but the AFC has no favorite.

Sorry but this defense is dominating:

The good news is that there's no team in the AFC that's much better than the Chiefs.  The bad news is that the Chiefs also aren't dominating.  The two wildcards, PIT and KC are just as good as NE or DEN, but they both could lose in the first round.  This is the most wide open playoff in AFC history.  I think the Chiefs have a good road to the championship game, but they could just as easily lose in Houston.  One turnover, one special teams score, one key injury, one stupid penalty could determine any playoff game this year.  It will be fun to watch, but I'd not bet on any team this year.  The NFC has Carolina, AZ, and SEA but the AFC has no favorite.

You only got to be the better team on game day........Dick Vermiel

I have been heartened by the decrease in penalties recently.  Yesterday, there were very few.  There probably should have been more.  I am beginning to suspect that officials are instructed to be more lax as playoffs approach, because they don't want crucial games to be decided by them.  That also allows teams to be more aggressive.  Both of those things are conducive to building excitement, ratings, and thus more money for advertisers that the NFL depends on.  Maybe I am nuts, but this seems to be the case.  Other than offsides and neutral zone infractions, officials seems to be pulling back on holding penalties and pass interference penalties. They remain very determined to protect QB's though, and QB's are especially determinative in playoffs. 

I have never seen a Raiders team make fewer penalties than yesterday (of course, these are not the nasty Raiders of old).  Does it seem like officials are more lax on holding and PI in the last couple of games, or is it just me?

I have been heartened by the decrease in penalties recently.  Yesterday, there were very few.  There probably should have been more.  I am beginning to suspect that officials are instructed to be more lax as playoffs approach, because they don't want crucial games to be decided by them.  That also allows teams to be more aggressive.  Both of those things are conducive to building excitement, ratings, and thus more money for advertisers that the NFL depends on.  Maybe I am nuts, but this seems to be the case.  Other than offsides and neutral zone infractions, officials seems to be pulling back on holding penalties and pass interference penalties. They remain very determined to protect QB's though, and QB's are especially determinative in playoffs. 

I have never seen a Raiders team make fewer penalties than yesterday (of course, these are not the nasty Raiders of old).  Does it seem like officials are more lax on holding and PI in the last couple of games, or is it just me?

Sure wish it would become the Norm. No ticky tack penalties!

I have to say I really really dislike the taunting penalty Parker got.  It is so stupid to get a penalty for taunting.  Like the rule or hate the rule.  But it is a rule and all you have to do to not get called for taunting is act like a grown up.

Not to go great gonzo or anything, but did anyone else think that the Donald looked better at RT than Jah has looked?  I kept trying to watch him and it seemed that he did a lot better than I was expecting the majority of the time.

Stephenson is an enigma. One week he looks like a RT or LT in the NFL. The next week he looks crap. He's a mixed bag of nuts. 

Not to go great gonzo or anything, but did anyone else think that the Donald looked better at RT than Jah has looked? I kept trying to watch him and it seemed that he did a lot better than I was expecting the majority of the time.

If that is true and Stephenson was more protective of the quarterback when there are cheap shots, I would say go with him. But I think Reid's toughness adds to his value. I feel Donald with waste his opportunity. He needs to be the back up fighting for a starting job and not the starter, IMO, to be effective.

This years team is far better than all the other teams that lost in the playoffs going all the way back to at least that 1997 team that lost to the Broncos at Arrowhead.

Although, like many of us Chiefs fans, the bitter sting of those defeats are burned into my soul and cannot be dismissed until the Chiefs can finally break that cycle. Winning a playoff game will help. Winning it all would bury those memories for me and a lot of long suffering Chiefs fans. If there is a curse it will rear its head again soon enough. Something about this year just feels different to me.

This years team is far better than all the other teams that lost in the playoffs going all the way back to at least that 1997 team that lost to the Broncos at Arrowhead.

Although, like many of us Chiefs fans, the bitter sting of those defeats are burned into my soul and cannot be dismissed until the Chiefs can finally break that cycle. Winning a playoff game will help. Winning it all would bury those memories for me and a lot of long suffering Chiefs fans. If there is a curse it will rear its head again soon enough. Something about this year just feels different to me.

Anything can happen. The best team, on paper, does not always win.

I like the Chiefs chances on Saturday but there are so many things that can altar how the game plays out. Will we have Hali, Houston and Abdullah on defense? At full strength this defense can be downright nasty. Concerned about Morse playing. For some reason we no longer have a return game. Hammond is mediocre. And of course I am thinking about the last playoff game. How many injuries did we incur? It was like 7 or 8 wasn't it? Seems to me the Texans play on that same rock hard astroturf. That crap should be outlawed. I fear a concussion or two to key players could altar the game.

I like the Chiefs chances on Saturday but there are so many things that can altar how the game plays out. Will we have Hali, Houston and Abdullah on defense? At full strength this defense can be downright nasty. Concerned about Morse playing. For some reason we no longer have a return game. Hammond is mediocre. And of course I am thinking about the last playoff game. How many injuries did we incur? It was like 7 or 8 wasn't it? Seems to me the Texans play on that same rock hard astroturf. That crap should be outlawed. I fear a concussion or two to key players could altar the game.

I thought the Texans stadium surface was grass, and it was, but I found this article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000533396/article/texans-ditching-grass-field-for-artificial-surface-at-nrg

Archived