Whi is your KC regular season MVP?

I read somewhere that Alex Smith can win but he's not a player to overcome injuries around him. In other words, they are intimating that his supporting cast is the reason he has success. I disagree on generalizations, but if I accept that as being a fair statement, we lost Jamaal Charles. We lost Justin Houston for a bit. Hali, too. Even our backup RBs have been injured at times.

That got me to think, the player that Smith couldn't lose is someone he didn't have last year. Jeremy Maclin. DJ, too, but I'm talking offensively. That sounds like a "no, duh," but how many experts or posters around the interwebs said that Maclin was going to die here numbers-wise with Smith? Not Megatron rates, but with the spread it out system Reid has, I'm happy with his involvement in 15 games.

I still put the offensive MVP on Smith, but Maclin is the reason. I don't know how to describe that without detracting from either. Maclin gave him the target and outside of a few off-passes and yes, a missed opportunity here and there, Smith is getting him the ball considering the system we have in place.

I would like a few of his connections deep in the playoffs, as that still seems random in success. But it can be done, so get it done guys. I hope that whatever Reid puts out there gives Smith the best chance to not miss these opportunities. Hope they've learned from film study or that some plays that opened someone up that we didn't throw to was setting up something later.

I've been one of the most vocal critics of Alex Smith, and I probably always will be, but this season he's my Chiefs' MVP.

Smith started off the season with me screaming emphatically for his head, but the guy made an enormous turnaround. It's not like the offensive line all of a sudden became good. Alex Smith did a gut check that consequently resulted in a enormous difference in his level of play. Alex Smith became more aggressive, taking shots down the field, throwing into tighter windows, and scrambling for first downs in the face of danger. Alex Smith played like a legitimate NFL QB for the latter two-thirds of this season. Alex Smith learned to put just a bit more trust in his lineman and a whole lot more trust in his receivers, especially Jeremy Maclin. Alex Smith went from looking ready to crawl into a shell to unafraid. Without Smith having this turnaround and a career year, there is absolutely no way this team even finishes at .500.

I'm sorry that went over my head lmao!

Not trying to go overboard and claim he's great, but I remember having a conversation with a Niners fan who was claiming that Smith's best interest would be to stay as a back up with the Niners because then he could establish himself as a great backup for a longer time. He said that if he went to go be a starter he would only last a few years or so and there would go his opportunity. By sitting on the bench a couple years, he could take over the team afterwards for spot duty.

He said he was a bigger fan of Smith than I was because he was a Niners fan. I told him I watched every game of Smith's career even though I was a Chiefs fan. This was before the trade. I said, whenever his starting days are over, he'll have a backup job somewhere or a journeyman starter at least. I mean, he's smart, hasn't burned bridges, and is relatively young. At the worst, he'd be the backup somewhere and maybe one day a coach.

Try convincing anyone to sit instead of starting after 8 years or so in the league at that point, especially for that same team that just benched him when winning and playing efficiently. (104 rating and 65 QBR). The stupidity of some people. I wouldn't even tell Hasselbeck to take a bench role if someone wanted to start him and he's 40.

I took a lot of flak from 49ers fans for abandoning the team for the 2-14 Chiefs over the Kaepernick affair. Three seasons later, the 49ers have missed the playoffs twice, and now look like a team that needs to trade a pair of second-round draft picks for Alex Smith. Kaepernick's a bad preseason away from being out of the league, and he has destroyed the NFL careers of nearly every coach that threw their hat in on him.

Those fans deserve that team. Most of them asked for exactly what they got. Meanwhile, I get to root for a team that has gone 30-17 (.638) with Smith at the helm, and in January I get to watch my team play. In San Francisco, they're trying to find a reputable head coach willing to work with Blaine Gabbert -- there are no reputable head coaches willing to work with Colin Kaepernick.

I took a lot of flak from 49ers fans for abandoning the team for the 2-14 Chiefs over the Kaepernick affair. Three seasons later, the 49ers have missed the playoffs twice, and now look like a team that needs to trade a pair of second-round draft picks for Alex Smith. Kaepernick's a bad preseason away from being out of the league, and he has destroyed the NFL careers of nearly every coach that threw their hat in on him.

Those fans deserve that team. Most of them asked for exactly what they got. Meanwhile, I get to root for a team that has gone 30-17 (.638) with Smith at the helm, and in January I get to watch my team play. In San Francisco, they're trying to find a reputable head coach willing to work with Blaine Gabbert -- there are no reputable head coaches willing to work with Colin Kaepernick.

Yea all the talk right now is chip Kelly is here in town and would work with kap. Key word is reputable... I don't know what everyone sees in that guy..

I read somewhere that Alex Smith can win but he's not a player to overcome injuries around him. In other words, they are intimating that his supporting cast is the reason he has success. I disagree on generalizations, but if I accept that as being a fair statement, we lost Jamaal Charles. We lost Justin Houston for a bit. Hali, too. Even our backup RBs have been injured at times.

That got me to think, the player that Smith couldn't lose is someone he didn't have last year. Jeremy Maclin. DJ, too, but I'm talking offensively. That sounds like a "no, duh," but how many experts or posters around the interwebs said that Maclin was going to die here numbers-wise with Smith? Not Megatron rates, but with the spread it out system Reid has, I'm happy with his involvement in 15 games.

I still put the offensive MVP on Smith, but Maclin is the reason. I don't know how to describe that without detracting from either. Maclin gave him the target and outside of a few off-passes and yes, a missed opportunity here and there, Smith is getting him the ball considering the system we have in place.

I would like a few of his connections deep in the playoffs, as that still seems random in success. But it can be done, so get it done guys. I hope that whatever Reid puts out there gives Smith the best chance to not miss these opportunities. Hope they've learned from film study or that some plays that opened someone up that we didn't throw to was setting up something later.

yeah well... its alex..  and i will tell you why..

in the next couple of years we will find out who he is.. because i dont think anybodys seen it yet..

team drops 5 games.. in a row..

coach shows faith in the qb..

then damnit the qb starts believing in himself.. and the team starts believing in itself.. and they aint lost since then..

maclin helps... but its Alex that is a bit different than he has been in previous years..

Archived