Unreal injuries

Yeah, I feel really bad for Maclin, but I still feel like the Chiefs can win. Maybe it's the excitement of winning the way they did, but the Texans had shut Maclin down pretty much in the game, Conley and Kelce came through. 

The Chiefs do not know if it is an ACL or just a sprain. Maclin will have an MRI. The same happened with Charles, but there is not official confirmation until it happens. 

Hope for the best. Either way, the odds are he will not compete anytime soon. Probably done for the season, but it is not certain. 

Its not just losing Maclin. It seems like every fucking year the Chiefs lose a couple of major pieces to IR. Add in the fact that the Chiefs constantly have guys out, especially with concussions, and I wonder just WTF the Chiefs' training and equipment staffs are doing.

Its not just losing Maclin. It seems like every fucking year the Chiefs lose a couple of major pieces to IR. Add in the fact that the Chiefs constantly have guys out, especially with concussions, and I wonder just WTF the Chiefs' training and equipment staffs are doing.

It's happened to lots of teams, especially this year.  Cincy has their season ruined by Dalton going down.  Houston lost their LT and Watt went out in the second half.  The Chiefs win streak started because Rothelisburger couldn't play.  Manning went down for six weeks.  The Pats didn't have Gronk and Edelman for a while.  True, the Chiefs are without their two best offensive playmakers, but they're better off without the top receiver than losing the defense like they did last year with DJ, Devito, and Berry, or in the 2013 playoff game when offense finished on the bench.  Except for losing Smith, the Chiefs can lose anyone and still have a shot.

The one thing that we might be able to be happy about: The Texans game had the potential to be a game where the Chiefs would ultimately win, but get beat up along the way. Although they suffered significant injuries (Jeremy Maclin, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif), their persistent lead kept the Texans' defense and offense on their heels all day, and that resulted in a big win whose significance may be in the detail that the Chiefs can go into next week on eight days' rest and relatively fresh.

I hope Maclin can play, but I'm not expecting him to be even healthy enough to be a decoy. If the offensive line can get healthy in the meantime, the Chiefs may be able to weather the loss of Maclin, although yet more of the burden to win will be placed on the Chiefs' defense. I would expect the starting wide receivers to be the same two that started when Jeremy Maclin missed the game against the Steelers: Albert Wilson and Chris Conley.

In salary cap terms, under the assumption that the Chiefs' offensive starting lineup this next weekend will be Alex Smith, Charcandrick West, Anthony Sherman, Albert Wilson, Chris Conley, Travis Kelce, Eric Fisher, Jeff Allen, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Jah Reid, the Chiefs' offensive starting lineup will have a salary cap value of $30,037,528 (over half of that is from Alex Smith's contract). By comparison, the expected starting lineup for the Chiefs defense next weekend will have a salary cap value of $45,841,800. This franchise is invested heavily in its defense. Each squad needs to pull its own weight, and hopefully the Chiefs' offense can go into next week's game playing above the level of talent and experience that they actually have.

Archived