MVP of today's game

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, but you gotta pick just one player. :)

If it isn't just one player, I would give it to special-teams. They scored 16 points. Really, I would give them 13. When a team goes and gets the field-goal they should get half the credit for the offense. But since Colquitt gave them a long field and the defense recovered the fumble for one of the kicks, I'll give the points back to special-teams.

Agree, but you gotta pick just one player.   :)

This may be the surprise answer, but I think the Big Fish, #72, is a beast and the hero against their rush.  He is the blue chip player they always thought he would be.  He won't get it, but I would give him the game ball. Otherwise, it is a toss up between Berry and Alex Smith.

This may be the surprise answer, but I think the Big Fish, #72, is a beast and the hero against their rush.  He is the blue chip player they always thought he would be.  He won't get it, but I would give him the game ball.

Good point.  With the RG going down and Morse out the line really stepped up against a very good defense.   Give Reid credit for a game plan that took Watt out of the equation.  Several plays Watt was left free to rush and the play was past him.

Alex Smith. Not the greatest stats but 77% completion percentage is nice. He threw the ball behind Maclin early and made the INT, but he was solid from there on.

I wouldn't give him the MVP at least until I look at it more. But he didn't settle down. I liked the touchdown pass and felt that we could have scored more if we needed to. I did not like him running late. When we already lost Maclin, we cannot lose another.

Alex Smith. Not the greatest stats but 77% completion percentage is nice.  He threw the ball behind Maclin early and made the INT,  but he was solid from there on.

Smith is a winner.  No question about that.  I discount his game a little because of the throw behind Maclin and the overthrow of a wide open receiver in the second possession. 

I wouldn't give him the MVP at least until I look at it more. But he didn't settle down. I liked the touchdown pass and felt that we could have scored more if we needed to. I did not like him running late. When we already lost Maclin, we cannot lose another.

Smith is a winner.  No question about that.  I discount his game a little because of the throw behind Maclin and the overthrow of a wide open receiver in the second possession. 

Both good points.

Bob Sutton and his sutton death defense...

0 points....

Post-season shutouts are nice. I'm glad Bill O'Brien didn't spoil it with a meaningless field goal attempt early in the fourth quarter. Sutton has atoned for the Indianapolis debacle. That need never come up again unless an argument is being made for Alex Smith's playoff record. Hopefully Sutton's defense can continue performing at a high level when they're faced with the much more versatile offenses of the AFC's remaining teams.

Late in the game and Smith dives into the left side of the line for a two yard first down.  Gotta love the guy but that was a little foolish at that point, especially against a team that was steaming over the push on a prostrate Watt.

I have come to the conclusion that you can't play in the NFL if you fear you might be hurt. Smith wasn't thinking about his concussion sustained in 2012, or about any of his other previous injuries. He was playing to get that first down, and he knew what action gave him the best probability to achieve that.

I had the same thoughts as you when I saw that play, but this is a team that was two years separated from a loss that resulted from not playing all 60 minutes with intensity. Smith sets the tone, and his teammates follow. When you look at it that way, you understand that all Smith did was what he expects from every one of his teammates on every down.

Late in the game and Smith dives into the left side of the line for a two yard first down.  Gotta love the guy but that was a little foolish at that point, especially against a team that was steaming over the push on a prostrate Watt.

Wow, I really mis-read that.

This may be the surprise answer, but I think the Big Fish, #72, is a beast and the hero against their rush.  He is the blue chip player they always thought he would be.  He won't get it, but I would give him the game ball. Otherwise, it is a toss up between Berry and Alex Smith.

Fish got beat pretty bad one time. JJ Watt came around the corner, and past Fisher. Fisher trailed as Watt rounded for a sack. Smith moved up in the pocket, and got tackled for a loss. 

Looking at the stat line for Watt. 1 assist, no solo tackles, no sacks, no forced fumbles, and no interceptions. I do not know how many hurries. I am sure we will find out soon. My guess is he had maybe one. 

Fish ate Watt. Get in my belly. 

Archived