Chiefs Best Balanced AFC Team?

Nothing glaring, but the passing game isn't designed to strike quickly and without Maclin the chance for the deep bomb is even less.  They don't have the come-back ability of GB or DEN.  Aside from that, I think the Chiefs are pretty solid but not spectacular.  Most of the games in their streak have been against weaker teams and a few poor QBs.    

Since the question was most well balanced, I would have to say most definitely.  Chiefs have a very good running game, and although we are not a bombs away passing team I would say we have a very good passing attack.  ST are above average, and our Def is dominating.  JMO

The only glaring weakness the Chiefs have is can they overcome deficits to come back and win games? That's the telling story. We've done it against Buff and Oakland. We're notorious for getting off to great starts. However, can we play chase from behind when adversity strikes? I think we can. Nothing phases this team.

Is Alex Smith better than a hurt Big Ben? I don't like Rapelisburger, but give the devil his due, he's an all-time great QB.

Honestly, Big Ben came to mind after the post. He's great, but I think he's on his last limb. I'd take Smith over him at this point.

This is true. I am not crazy about the KC offensive line. We need Morse to play. If no Maclin Conley will have to step way up. His touchdown Saturday was against single coverage. He hasn't shown much. Would like to see Wilson make the downfield catch instead of getting lost in traffic.

We are in with the big boy quarterbacks now. In the AFC the best four quarterbacks in the division this year will play this weekend. ( Andrew Luck being hurt ).

In my humble opinion this team is still evolving. Nothing is settled. I don't think we have hit our stride yet.

West, I think that the people that think that Reid sucks, Smith sucks, Fisher sucks, Ford sucks, etc. probably still feel that way.  If it's one thing you can count on its that people love to scream from the mountain top when things are leaning their way, but they go into hibernation when things don't look so good for them.  I am happy to say that I am a dumb/smart ass regardless. 

This is true. I am not crazy about the KC offensive line. We need Morse to play. If no Maclin Conley will have to step way up. His touchdown Saturday was against single coverage. He hasn't shown much. Would like to see Wilson make the downfield catch instead of getting lost in traffic.

We are in with the big boy quarterbacks now. In the AFC the best four quarterbacks in the division this year will play this weekend. ( Andrew Luck being hurt ).

In my humble opinion this team is still evolving. Nothing is settled. I don't think we have hit our stride yet.

We don't need to keep mentioning Andrew Luck until he gets back to playing well. ;)

Is Alex Smith better than a hurt Big Ben?  I don't like Rapelisburger, but give the devil his due, he's an all-time great QB.

I don't know how to determine who is currently better. During the extent of his career, Roethlisberger was a much better quarterback. However, as you said, he is hurt. He is also older. He can no longer run as he did earlier in his career. He still has that arm, but his lack of pocket movement has made his mistakes more glaring. When he was younger, Roethlisberger extended plays. His big arm could get the ball out there. It didn't always need to be an accurate throw. Because of his dual threat, and ability to keep the play alive, the receivers got huge separation. So, it didn't matter as much if it was thrown to the left or right off the mark. 

Today, he throws a pass, and it gets intercepted. He only played 12 regular season games, and threw 16 interceptions. His interception percentage is about the same as when he first came into the league. He was wild back then, but after his third year in the league, Roethlisberger settled down. You can say the same thing about Peyton Manning. He has thrown 17 interceptions in 10 regular season games. Likewise, Manning has the highest interception percentage since his rookie season in the league. 

Comparing players is not a complete science, and comparing Alex Smith is particularly hard to do. Its like comparing apples and oranges. Alex does things that helps his team win in ways other quarterbacks do not. Sometimes it is as important what a quarterback doesn't do as it is what he does. Yesterday, McCarron got his receiver lit up. It was a play that Alex Smith would have thrown away. Smith dirts balls occasionally, and he does it with intent. McCarron obviously has not grasped that concept. 

Is Roethlisberger better than Manning this year? Yes. Roethlisberger is 33 years old. When Manning was 33, he was at his peak. Manning will be 40 in March. Roethlisberger will not make it that long. His trajectory is already on the down slide. Big Ben won't last two more years in this league. He peaked, and is on a downward slide. The injuries have contributed to his decline, but he is getting older faster than Alex or Manning. Maybe the same will happen to Alex Smith in two or three years from now. 

QBR has Roethlisberger as the #2 quarterback in the NFL, this season. All that shows me is QBR is overrated. 

Is Alex Smith better than a hurt Big Ben?  I don't like Rapelisburger, but give the devil his due, he's an all-time great QB.

Show me a post-season game he won in which his defense performed at a less than stellar level. Roethlisberger has his advantages, but he is given far too much credit as a quarterback merely because he is a gunslinger. 21 touchdowns vs. 16 interceptions, albeit over 11 starts, is not impressive. His 2014 season was slightly more impressive, but if Smith doesn't get his spleen lacerated, there's the chance that just as it was this year, the Chiefs would have been the fifth seed and the Steelers behind them at the sixth seed.

All that shows me is QBR is overrated. 

QBR is stupid because two quarterbacks can execute a given play under almost identical circumstances for that play, but because the context within which that play happened is what weights the value of that play relative to the average, certain quarterbacks benefit or suffer disproportionately from the algorithm. Coaching affects QBR far more than is generally known. There was a lot more to Colin Kaepernick's consecutive 99 QBR performances in 2013 than Kaepernick's own ability, and with virtually the same skill set, he was on the pine only two years later.

The dagger in the heart of QBR is that the formula is proprietary, confidential, and subject to change

Unfortunately, an increasing number of sports writers are incorrectly indicating "QB Rating" when what they are referring to is "Passer Rating".

QBR is stupid because two quarterbacks can execute a given play under almost identical circumstances for that play, but because the context within which that play happened is what weights the value of that play relative to the average, certain quarterbacks benefit or suffer disproportionately from the algorithm. Coaching affects QBR far more than is generally known. There was a lot more to Colin Kaepernick's consecutive 99 QBR performances in 2013 than Kaepernick's own ability, and with virtually the same skill set, he was on the pine only two years later.

The dagger in the heart of QBR is that the formula is proprietary, confidential, and subject to change

Unfortunately, an increasing number of sports writers are incorrectly indicating "QB Rating" when what they are referring to is "Passer Rating".

99.8 QBR Rating = 10/16, 164 Yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 54 Rushing Yards, 2 Rushing TDs. 45-10 victory over the 0-8 Jags. http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331027030

98.8 QBR Rating = 13/21, 199 Yards, 0 TD. 0 INTs, 68 Rushing Yards, 1 Rushing TDs, 31-17 victory over the 3-4 Titans. http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331020010

Garbage stat.

But they did get two right:

0.1 QBR Rating = 5-20, 35 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INTs, 0 Rushing Yards, 0 Rushing TDs, 29-13 Loss to the 4-5 Chiefs. http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791595 (Manning)

3.2 QBR Rating = 9/19 67 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INTs, 46 Rushing Yards, 1 Rushing TDs, 47-7 Loss to the 3-0 Cardinals. http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791597 (Kaepernick)

Reid Sucks. Smith Sucks. Fisher is a Bust, Ford is a Bust. Conley sucks.....Raiders are the team if the future.....

It's amazing how times change....

w

When the team was losing 5 in a row, Reid sucked, Smith sucked, Fisher & Ford looked like busts and Conley sucked. At the time that was the reality. I am amazed and happy that times have changed.

When the team was losing 5 in a row, Reid sucked, Smith sucked, Fisher & Ford looked like busts and Conley sucked. At the time that was the reality. I am amazed and happy that times have changed.

Not really, it was ones perspective.

True they were not racking up stats that stat whores love to base arguments on. However, they were improving their skill sets within a certain system thus they were not sucking or looking like a bust but aiding in their learning process which helped put them in the position they are in now.

Not really, it was ones perspective.

True they were not racking up stats that stat whores love to base arguments on. However, they were improving their skill sets within a certain system thus they were not sucking or looking like a bust but aiding in their learning process which helped put them in the position they are in now.

"God bless the broken road that led me straight to you" - Rascall Flats.

Archived