Alex Smith Bandwagon

Let me mention how several of us indicated that the Niners traded the wrong guy.....

Kansas City was DAMN lucky to get a solid QB coming into his prime years.

Look at how things have played out, Smith just took the team ( like he did for the Niners) to a playoff win.

Is anyone worried that our QB is not ready for the next round?

Not me....I saw him when he played for SF many times....he is a smart guy and he will do whatever it takes for his team to get a w.

w

He's ready for the next round. Andy Reid won't let us get too carried away with conservatism. I mean, we will be conservative, but the last Niners loss was conservatism to a T for the entire game, even in f'in OT. No one, in OT, ran beyond the sticks. I understand in regulation sometimes, but they gave Smith no chance and then Kyle Williams fumbled twice. Even if Smith didn't often give his third rate WRs a chance at times, you have to in OT, send people out.

Having said that, this is a team game and that includes coaching staff. There are very few coaches I would take over Reid - Belicheck is one of them. Arians looks like it, but let him show it's beyond regular season next week (which I expect Arizona to win). I feel that when you add everything up, from passing to running to smarts, etc. Smith is top third in the league or at least tops of the middle third. Brady is above him no matter where you put Smith.

Gronk is better than Kelce and I don't think Gronk fumbles a lot. And now we're out Maclin for at least this game. My point is not that we will lose. My point is Smith is ready, Houston is ready, Andy is ready, and I'm hoping everyone else comes along. I'm confident in Peters, but how can I use the experience card on Arians but not Peters? So therefore, it's still a hope.

I just remember that long scramble be made against NO in the divisional round to win that game. He's going to take down ole Tom Brady. No better time to play NE than in the divisional round. Just ask Baltimore, up by 14 last year until NE's offense got into rhythm. Our defense really has a chance to suffocate their Offense.

Not ashamed at all to admit that although I have been on his bandwagon from day one,  I momentarily stepped off after 1-5 also.  Not that I think there was anything wrong with that decision at the time.  If you look back, he was playing scared and looked like shit.  Glad that he righted the ship, and got me back to where I belong.  I was getting real tired of my buddies giving me such a hard time about the QB that I said was good enough to take us to the SB looking like a turd. 

I have rarely if ever been on any of "this guy or that guy sucks" bandwagon. I have always or at least have always tried to support every player on the team. There have been times where I have sarcastically picked on a player but only in fun or to prove a point.

The reason I say this is because football is a team sport, you win as a team you lose as a team. Every player has their up moments and their down moments. To blame a single player for a loss is idiotic and to give a player all the credit for a win is equally idiotic.

I was never against Smith and supported him 100% since he arrived even when many of you were hanging him out to dry. Same for DJ, Fish, Andy, and even Bowe when he was here. I just refuse to give up on someone on the team I support.

Chiefs1963, I agree with you 100%.  I do not feel like there is anything wrong with wishing that players would play better, but there is never any reason to be so judgemental about players or coaches.  Some people act as thought they are intentionally playing like crap and coaching like crap.  Sometimes its just not your day, and sometimes the guys on the other side of the ball are just better.

Reminds me of Phi Slamma Jamma vs NC back in the day.  Not only should NC not have been in the Championship game that year, but they probably should have been manhandled by Houston.  But in that 2-3 weeks, and in that particular game, they were just better. 

i wonder how many SF fans wish they had alex back today instead of the douche who took his spot

Most local fans are disappointed that Kaepernick didn't work out, but the popular local narrative is that he is owner Jed York's scapegoat, and he may go on to be successful for another team in the league. Regretting the trade of Alex Smith represents digging into the second crow served after just swallowing down the last of the first crow: Most San Francisco fans just aren't ready to come to terms with that reality yet.

It would take the Chiefs winning Super Bowl L for them to have no choice but to acknowledge that they were wrong, but even then, there would be a fringe segment that would argue that Alex Smith was the two-thousand-teens' Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. That opinion would represent the cut-off point for reasonableness.

And about 6 inches difference he would have connected on another playoff TD bomb.

I wish we could have taken one foot off that pass and added it to the INT pass. That would have been two completions, one TD an one at least FG range. 40-0, anyone?

Yes, I know that's not how it would work.

I've been a Smith fan for a while, ever since I watched him in that playoff game against the Saints, when he played for the Niners. That was me rooting for the underdog, because I knew he had struggles earlier in his career. I wasn't really sure how he would work out when the Chiefs traded for him.  I had hoped Reid would work with him well but still wasn't sure. 

I didn't know anything about Smith's college career at Utah other than what I've found out recently. I didn't know he was such a great runner. I don't remember them using him that way at San Fran, but then again, I hadn't watched a lot of their games.

When the Chiefs played the Niners during Haley's 2nd season, I remember thinking he didn't look that bad and was playing just as well as Cassel if not slightly better. It seems like Reid is utilizing Smith the way he should have been used earlier in his career, taking advantage of his intelligence and scrambling ability. 

I've been a Smith fan for a while, ever since I watched him in that playoff game against the Saints, when he played for the Niners. That was me rooting for the underdog, because I knew he had struggles earlier in his career. I wasn't really sure how he would work out when the Chiefs traded for him. I had hoped Reid would work with him well but still wasn't sure.

I didn't know anything about Smith's college career at Utah other than what I've found out recently. I didn't know he was such a great runner. I don't remember them using him that way at San Fran, but then again, I hadn't watched a lot of their games.

When the Chiefs played the Niners during Haley's 2nd season, I remember thinking he didn't look that bad and was playing just as well as Cassel if not slightly better. It seems like Reid is utilizing Smith the way he should have been used earlier in his career, taking advantage of his intelligence and scrambling ability.

Andy Reid is figuring him out still, too. It was just this year, the Pittsburgh game, that he started letting him audible. He hadn't let any of his quarterbacks prior to that game, not even McNabb here. Is quarterbacks have progressions that they could choose from, but not the ability to just change the whole play. I don't think Smith is going to change the whole play very often, but he has done some tweaks that have helped us a lot.

When he's done playing, I think he'd make a good Offensive Coordinator for all the systems he's played in and his smarts. I don't know about head coach, yet, but OC would be a good opportunity. I would love it if he got the OC a job here and we had a quarterback with a strong arm. That could blend those two qualities together. If Smith had Stafford's arm but Smith's mental break up, that would be pretty cool. He's too careful and I know he does trust his arm to an extent and it's sufficient for most throws, but if it wwere one of those crazy strong arms, that would open some things up.

Alex is loose. He normally doesn't do much on twitter. However, ever once in awhile he retweets something. He has done this a little more recently. Its not much, but for him, its really something.

Is it a verified account? I didn't see him as the type to have one. There was a person on FB posing as him, but when the account started to rip the Niners, it was clear that it wasn't him. I mean, it was already clear, but some people were gullible. The person blocked my ability to comment because I told someone it wasn't the real Slim Shady.

Archived