The 12 o'clock midnight rule

This victory was sweet.  It was total domination.  It was a long time in coming.  I like how the KC star quoted Tamba Hali saying "This one is for the fans".  

So let me say one more time....WE DESERVE THIS.  And we have the right to celebrate and do our attaboys.

BUT...we need to remember the philosophy and words of Marty Schottenheimer.  Marty insisted that win it or lose it,  you forgot about the game you just played by 12 midnight.

And pretty soon we need to do the same thing.   What KC accomplished Saturday is yesterday's news.  We have a chance to extend this victory streak with this team.  This moment will never happen with this group of guys and this team and these coaches ever again.  Some will be traded.  Some will be gone.   And next year we may not be in this situation.

So we need to make the most of this.  And come midnight tonight it is time seriously to concentrate on New England.  New England is not Houston. They are one of the big boys.  They have been in this situation many times before.  Tom Brady is definitely not Bryan Hoyer and we cannot count on him having a bad day.  

I can only speak for me and nobody else but I am not satisfied with this win.  Yeah it is great to get the playoff curse off our backs.  But I definitely want more than this.  We need to strike while we have the momentum.   Going to New England without Maclin and maybe Morse is going to be tough. 

Time to redouble our efforts and direct our attention to winning Saturday.    What I really want is one more chance at Manning a week from Sunday.   But take care of business first. 

What a season.

The Chiefs caught a number of breaks. To be fair, many of those were aided by the Chiefs' defense. At the end of the first half, the score was 13 to 0. It should have been 21 to nothing or maybe even more. 

The Chiefs allowed Houston to their 2 yard line. Houston promptly gave the ball straight back to the Chiefs. That will not happen, or likely will not happen at New England. 

I have been to Foxboro. I went to their practice field. I walked out on their stadium grass, and got a mini tour. Its a nice place. They have a mall right next to the stadium. The practice facility is just down the way too. They also have a hall of fame area. It is really nice. I enjoyed the visit. 

Here is something I know from experience. Their field is 100 yards long, not including the end zones. The end zones are each 10 yards long. The field and the end zones are exactly 160 feet side to side. They have a goal post on either end of each end zone. They measure 10 feet high on the horizontal bar, and the space between the vertical bars on the goal posts is 18 feet, 6 inches wide. I have also been on the field at Arrowhead. I did not measure either field, but according to what I know, and what I observed, the fields are identical in size. The Chiefs have beaten the Patriots. The Pats are not any better than the Chiefs. They have to win this game to move on. Its alright to respect the opponent. It is not alright to revere them. 

I think only the last two are important, but let's do this:

1. Tap your toes. Drag your feet.

2. Hold onto the damn ball.

3. No taunting.

4. Don't hit the QB late or above the shoulders.

5. If there's a controversial call, hurry to get the next snap off. Have a damn stock play ready.

6. Don't spike the ball on 4th down or take a knee trying to stop the clock (Cousins learned this the hard way that the clock keeps running).

7. Don't celebrate early, hold onto the ball until the ref wants it.

8. If you see a ball on the ground, pick it up, I don't care if you thought you were down or they were.

9. Don't be afraid to challenge a play.

10. If you are not going to field a punt, get the hell out of the way.

11. Don't fair catch the ball at the 1 unless it's a kickoff, where you have to get the ball if it doesn't go out of bounds.

12. Kick the field goal if you are kicking a field goal - no pooch punts or "oh my goodness, it wasn't a perfect snap, what should I do? Kick it? Run it?"

13. No personal fouls.

14. On a hail mary, throw it, don't scramble, trust that a pick won't be pick sixed.

15. Don't take a sack when down by one or two in the 4th or on 4th down.

16. Laces out, use third down to get the ball in the middle or whatever hashmark Santos likes it.

17. Don't call a timeout to freeze the kicker unless you call it early enough so that he doesn't get a practice kick.

18. Cover Gronk - it's not like basketball where you can let MJ have his and shut everyone else down.

19. If they keep going to X player on third down, figure it out.

20. Run the ball. Secure the ball, one more yard is less important than protecting the ball, slam your knee or elbow down but play as if the ball is always live.

21. Make adjustments at halftime.

22. Don't defer for once. Give Brady the ball with 3 minutes or less on the clock down by 7.

23. Go for TDs more than FGs,.

24. Use the no huddle, keep Smith audibling.

25. Score more points than the Patriots.

26. Hold the Patriots to fewer points than we score.

The Chiefs caught a number of breaks. To be fair, many of those were aided by the Chiefs' defense. At the end of the first half, the score was 13 to 0. It should have been 21 to nothing or maybe even more. 

The Chiefs allowed Houston to their 2 yard line. Houston promptly gave the ball straight back to the Chiefs. That will not happen, or likely will not happen at New England. 

I have been to Foxboro. I went to their practice field. I walked out on their stadium grass, and got a mini tour. Its a nice place. They have a mall right next to the stadium. The practice facility is just down the way too. They also have a hall of fame area. It is really nice. I enjoyed the visit. 

Here is something I know from experience. Their field is 100 yards long, not including the end zones. The end zones are each 10 yards long. The field and the end zones are exactly 160 feet side to side. They have a goal post on either end of each end zone. They measure 10 feet high on the horizontal bar, and the space between the vertical bars on the goal posts is 18 feet, 6 inches wide. I have also been on the field at Arrowhead. I did not measure either field, but according to what I know, and what I observed, the fields are identical in size. The Chiefs have beaten the Patriots. The Pats are not any better than the Chiefs. They have to win this game to move on. Its alright to respect the opponent. It is not alright to revere them. 

Nice Hoosiers analogy. Go beat them, Chiefs.

This victory was sweet.  It was total domination.  It was a long time in coming.  I like how the KC star quoted Tamba Hali saying "This one is for the fans".  

So let me say one more time....WE DESERVE THIS.  And we have the right to celebrate and do our attaboys.

BUT...we need to remember the philosophy and words of Marty Schottenheimer.  Marty insisted that win it or lose it,  you forgot about the game you just played by 12 midnight.

And pretty soon we need to do the same thing.   What KC accomplished Saturday is yesterday's news.  We have a chance to extend this victory streak with this team.  This moment will never happen with this group of guys and this team and these coaches ever again.  Some will be traded.  Some will be gone.   And next year we may not be in this situation.

So we need to make the most of this.  And come midnight tonight it is time seriously to concentrate on New England.  New England is not Houston. They are one of the big boys.  They have been in this situation many times before.  Tom Brady is definitely not Bryan Hoyer and we cannot count on him having a bad day.  

I can only speak for me and nobody else but I am not satisfied with this win.  Yeah it is great to get the playoff curse off our backs.  But I definitely want more than this.  We need to strike while we have the momentum.   Going to New England without Maclin and maybe Morse is going to be tough. 

Time to redouble our efforts and direct our attention to winning Saturday.    What I really want is one more chance at Manning a week from Sunday.   But take care of business first. 

What a season.

Good advice for the team and staff.  As fans, we can celebrate and rehash the win all winter if we choose without hurting the chances this coming Saturday.  Like you, I'm not satisfied with just winning one wildcard game.  Last year we all got excited because the Royals finally made it to a playoff game.  Then, after downing three other teams, they made it to the World Series.  We loved every game and every play.  I'm just hoping for a similar run by the Chiefs, but at the same time it just feels good to see them advance one step at a time and what ever happens from this point, it's been a fun season.

The players are not satisfied.  Time and again, they have stated that the are not finished.  They set a goal.  I guarantee that they have moved past this win and are in full preparation mode for New England.

They are a better and more complete team than New England.  Doesn't mean they will win.  Experience counts for a lot, and we all know that the Pats have plenty of it.  But, there is every reason to believe that we can beat them.

We cannot be satisfied with one playoff victory. Celebrate what we have done after the super bow

I'll never be satisfied with anything less than a Super Bowl win. That said, if we don't beat the pats Sunday, I will still consider this season a successful one. This team is on the rise.

Championships bring Satisfaction, but even that is FLEETING.

I said it a long time ago, ONLY a playoff win makes this a successful season.

Therefore, I think this has been successful, but no one ( players, Coaches, Fans) should be satisfied.

This year, the Chiefs can play with anyone and the teams that are left are not all that special.

Face it, the franchise is due for some good luck.

w

Championships bring Satisfaction, but even that is FLEETING.

I said it a long time ago, ONLY a playoff win makes this a successful season.

Therefore, I think this has been successful, but no one ( players, Coaches, Fans) should be satisfied.

This year the Chiefs can play with anyone and the teams that are left are not all that special.

Face it, the franchise is due for some good luck.

w

Could not have said it better. My feelings exactly. I felt one playoff win was a success but watching them recently they are capable of sooooo much more.

Channeling an old basketball movie? But, you're right? Anything can happen...

I agree with the 12 o'clock rule for players. As a fan, I'm gonna savor it right up til kickoff with the Pats, scream at the TV for 3 hours, and then enjoy the following week after crushing the Belicheats.

Seriously. We are going to end tom for the second time.

Gene Hackman never said it better

Met Gene once. He was drunk off his butt. Cursed every other word, and pinched the bottoms of every passerby (male or female, it made no difference). 

Gene Hackman... now that is a different story. Never met him. Nice guy, I hear. 

Gene Andresian... wow. 

I'm pretty happy with the season also, but like any fan I want more. It had been so long since the Chiefs won a playoff game that it seemed almost impossible. I was nervous the whole first half, but relaxed a little when they went up 20-0 in the 3rd quarter.  I'm sure by now the Chiefs players have moved on, but as a fan I'm still enjoying it, I can't help it. 

Archived