What's your Chiefs story?

How did you become a fan? I'm sure most of our posters were born in or grew up in the KC area so it's a no brainer. I was an Army brat and lived in a few states during my childhood. My Dad went to Nam and when he returned he retired at Ft. Bliss a few years later and brought us to AZ. At the time, AZ didn't have an NFL team. When Super Bowl IV rolled around I told my brother "I think the Chiefs will win" and he took the Vikings. To this day, I'm still a Chiefs fan and he's still a Viqueens fan. (I feel really bad for my brother after yesterday, he's suffering from Elliotitis) My son was born the year the Cardinals moved here but he's a die hard Chiefs fan as well. I have many friends who tell me I should be a hometown Cardinals fan but I've never been able to leave the Chiefs. It's paying off this year!

My uncle went to law school in St. Louis when the Rams weren't there. He's a Bears fan, but as he put it, "you wouldn't want to go through that." Not sure why he felt being a Chiefs fan was any better? Regardless, I started watching the Chiefs and rooting for us as time went on.

I went to USC and so I was happy when Cassel came, but I wasn't sold on him. He never actually played for USC, only help the clipboard. I was also weary of quarterbacks who leave the Patriots system. The first year here was a surprise, but it was unsustainable.

I have two uncles who live in the bay area. I used to watch Niners games with them. I worked at my uncle's law firm for a little bit and that's when Smith went to Utah. I was upset that the Niners got Smith, because I didn't want my uncles' interests in the Niners to be in conflict with Smith's career if he floundered, but when he came here I was happy. I know he wasn't the best quarterback, but it was interesting to me.

Moved  to New York as a boy....Fans there were crazy for the Jets....I took the opposite path and went back to my Midwest Roots with the Chiefs in 1965.  I was 6 years old.

I had posters of Len Dawson and Otis Taylor on my bedroom walls.

Sports were a huge part of my life as my dad was a coach.....They still are today.

r42625_1296x518_5-2.jpg

w

Grew up in Independence. Drove by that stadium daily on the way to daycare. Went to games with my pop.

My fandom went bezerk when Dave kreig slipped out of sack #8. My dad slammed his hand down on the fire place. It was in a cast four hours later. No joke.

Here's my Chiefs story. It's really summed up by this graphic: CIrnTsaVAAEUO7m.jpg

I was a Houston Oilers fan from high school (1968) until I moved to southern MO in 1980. I was wavering between sticking to my previous team and switching to a local team since I was in MO to stay. The Chiefs drafted Delaney in 1981, I think. He ran for 1,100 yards or so in his rookie year, was a Pro-Bowler as a rookie, and ran for 193 yards that year against the Oilers. He had an eye injury the next year and didn't do much. He was a non-swimmer but still tried to save three drowning children, and in the process, drowned himself. I was so impressed with character like that that I decided to follow the Chiefs kinda in his honor. I'm still rooting them on all these years later.

It was never easy for me. I was born a poor, black child. I remember the days, sitting on the porch with my family...Oh. Wrong story.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't a Chiefs' fan. Not really a diehard fan until Marty showed up. My uncle was a huge St. Louis Cardinals football fan, so I liked them and cheered for them also. Split my allegiance between the two, I guess. When the Cardinals bolted for AZ, my full attention went to KC. I have never looked back.

Here's my Chiefs story. It's really summed up by this graphic: CIrnTsaVAAEUO7m.jpg

I was a Houston Oilers fan from high school (1968) until I moved to southern MO in 1980. I was wavering between sticking to my previous team and switching to a local team since I was in MO to stay. The Chiefs drafted Delaney in 1981, I think. He ran for 1,100 yards or so in his rookie year, was a Pro-Bowler as a rookie, and ran for 193 yards that year against the Oilers. He had an eye injury the next year and didn't do much. He was a non-swimmer but still tried to save three drowning children, and in the process, drowned himself. I was so impressed with character like that that I decided to follow the Chiefs kinda in his honor. I'm still rooting them on all these years later.

Love it.

Wow.  Good thread.   My round about way becoming a Chiefs fan is really convoluted.   I followed the Chiefs with more than passing interest when I was at KU but my team was the Chicago Bears.   I was a freshman in 1966 the year Gail Sayers was a senior for the Jayhawks and Sayers was my idol and hero.  I used to listen on Sunday afternoons back in the Kappa Sig house to broadcasts of the Chiefs on KCMO radio  810. The voice of the Chiefs was one of my college professors,  Tom Headrick.   I decided that I wanted to be a sports play by play broadcaster and I took his sports journalism class.  Because of that I found myself in the KCMO broadcast booth with Tom and Bill Grigsby as a statistician on Sunday home games.   I also got to carry around the heavy equipment into the Chiefs lockeroom for Grigsbys interviews after the game.  So I got to meet a bunch of the players.  This of course for no money but it was a really neat way to spend Sunday afternoons until one Sunday when Jack "Bigfoot" Steadman kicked me out because I wasn't authorized to be in there.   The love affair with the Chiefs stuck nonetheless and after the 1967 season I bought a season ticket at Municipal Stadium.  For you that remember,  I was in Stenerud's roost.   And of course it continued.   I was drafted in June of 1969 but spent the first six months in basic and tech school and my tech school was in Biloxi, Mississippi which was only 90 miles from New Orleans.    I got to see Superbowl IV live from Toulane stadium.

From there it has been 50 years.   I have to tell you,  there were some really really lean years from 1975 to 1989.   In 1976 I graduated law school and moved back to my hometown in Southeast Kansas to practice law.  At that time I stopped getting season tickets but I followed them religiously.   I even listened to the draft on KCMO which was 2 minute summary ever 3 hours on a Tuesday and Wednesday and I always said...this will be our year.

So I have endured the Paul Wiggin, Frank Gantz, John Mackovick, Todd Haley, Romeo Crennel years but I also got to enjoy the Hank Stram, Marv Levy,  Marty Schottenheimer,  Dick Vermeil and Andy Reid years.

Nothing can separate me from rooting for this team.  I'll be a fan forever.

Born in Kansas City, lived here all my life except for the four years in Columbia ..... i was actually a Dallas Texan fan because of Johnny Robinson, he's been a long time supporter of children's causes and spoke to our boy scout troop in 1962 ..... so, when Lamar brought the team to KC, it was a great day .... I had a professional team in my city and a member of that team had already developed a kinship in my heart.

When I was young, I stubbed my toe, and there appeared to me what seemed to be a blister. 

It was an unusual blister. Most blisters go away, but this one did not. Every day, I wished it away, but it remained. 

In those days, I was a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, and I named my blister, bubby. 

Then later, I went to Philadelphia, and there too went my blister

A few years passed, and I took my blister to the Empire state, where the Jets play. 

Then again, I moved. The blister moved with me. I moved west to Denver. 

Kansas City came to Denver, and I watched the Broncos get beat by the Chiefs. 

It was there my blister popped, and bubby blister was no more

This is when I became a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. 

As odd as this story seems, it gets even stranger. 

I moved to Kansas City, and what showed up again? Bubby. This time, bubby became something I was familiar with, and I no longer wished it away. It was with me in KC for a week or two. Then, as it appeared out of nowhere, and went away, and then appeared out of nowhere again... then it disappeared forever. 

I don't miss my bubby blister, but I did learn a valuable lesson from it. 

1. don't kick rocks or stub toes

2. don't blame a blister on your choice of a team. 

by the way, I later learned my blister had not disappeared at all while I was in Denver, but simply moved to Minnesota, where it is cold. I have also learned bubby blister moved back to Denver for a while before moving on to Louisiana. There is where bubby blister has gone for good. I understand the blister now afflicts two children and a wife. 

Born and raised in SW Missouri.  Was always a Chiefs and Royals fan because of where I lived, but was also a Cowboys fan.  Loved me some Roger Staubach.  I always followed the Chiefs, but actually became a die hard fan the year they brought in Marty and Carl.  Have never took off the rose colored glasses since then. 

I grew up in Kansas City, not that far from Arrowhead stadium itself.  My stepfather gave me one of my first driving lessons  in the stadium parking lot during the offseason. I liked the Chiefs, but was much more into baseball when I was younger, and loved the Royals.

One of the first Chiefs players I remember was Nick Lowery.  He was part of a program with the Kansas City school system were kids got tickets to Chiefs games for improved grades. I even remember him eating lunch with us in the school. I always thought it was kind of awkward seeing him there, with a tray in his hand walking in the cafeteria.  I was one of the kids that got tickets to the game, and I remember going with my step dad and a friend. It was cold, the Chiefs were losing, and we didn't even stay for the whole game.

My real fandom didn't start until I was just out of the military and in a technical school. The Chiefs were 10-6 and, not knowing anything about football; I asked a classmate was that a good record. He said they will make the playoffs, but seemed to dismiss them, like they wouldn't get very far. Being that it was my hometown team, that kind of irritated me, and made me want to watch more next season. 

Someone explained to me the basics of football, what a 1st down was etc... and I really started getting into it. I'm a little different than most of you in that I didn't care for Joe Montana at the time. All I remember about him was, playing the for the 49ers, and beating the crap out of my uncles favorite team and QB in the Superbowl (the Broncos).

Having said that, I watched my first Chiefs playoff game, with Montana at QB; beating the Oilers. It was a great feeling, and I've been following them hardcore ever since. 

Grew up in the interior of Britsh Columbia Canada. My dad was I involved with organizations that had ties to the CFL. I remeber watching football with my dad at a very young age. This stuck with me and one day I was watching the Chiefs play and just loved the way the ran the ball. The RB was the Nigerian nightmare. Every since I have been a devoted Chiefs fan. I used to drive down to Seattle amd watch play in the kingdom. When they come to Seattle I go. I still live in BC but now in Vancouver. There's not a lot of Chiefs fans here but after this past weekend, it seems everyone knows who they are! Chiefs kingdom is alive here in BC.

Born and raised in Kansas City. Been a Chiefs fan my whole life. Just witnessed them win their FIRST playoff win - from what I can remember! Loved the Marty and Carl Peterson years. It definitely brought a sense of pride and pleasure seeing DT and the gang run rough-shot on QB's at Arrowhead with a Sea of Red cheering them on. Being through all the painful years and finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel took plenty of patience for us Chiefs fans. The Royals have displayed that as well.

I'm definitely enjoying the ride Dorsey and Reid have brought to the table. We've rekindled the spirit of that Arrowhead Magic. I see a bright future, and a W this weekend. What better way to douse a dynasty than finish a Belichik coached / Tom Brady QB'd NE Patriot team at Foxborough. To be the best, we must first deprive the Champs of their title. It starts this Saturday. 

OK, I admit, the first story was not 100% true. So, I will start over. I swear to you this is the story.. OK.

When I was born, I was unusually hairy. I had full facial hair, except it was actually grey in color. It was very unusual. It made my life difficult. When I was in kindergarten I had to wear a hat, due to the fact I was balding on top. I had to shave the stubble off my chin, and that was difficult. I got a lot of odd looks. People would say, "what's that old geezer doing in kindergarten class". I moved on. 

When I was in high school, I was less abnormal in appearance. However, I kept trying to sign up my classmates to an incredible life insurance policy, or give them some incite on a once in a lifetime investment opportunity. I hardly got a date in high school, but I was a woman slayer in the old folks home.

I went to college, and studied hard. My fellow students did not associate with me, but for some reason, my professors all found me fascinating.

I got my first job, and immediately I  was placed on a series of boards. I didn't even know what some of these corporations were, or what they did, but people liked how I looked, and that was all the difference for me. My baby sitter started making contact. It was weird at first, but I got over it.

Then I got married to a much older, younger looking woman. She was amazing. However, as I grew younger, she got older. She was always quite stunning, but we had to part. She had a procedure, and another, then she was sick all the time. It pissed me off. She was no fun. So, I ditched her.

I began attracting women who had always kept their distance. One such lady was a Chief's cheerleader. I know, I know, this sounds like a tall story, but its not. She was quite short. This is when I began going to football games, and spending time on the Internet (only they did not call it the Internet back then). It all predated Al Gore, and he had not yet invented it. We called it the ARPANET back then, and thought it was all the rage.

I married that cheerleader, and settled down. She had children, and we enjoyed watching the Chiefs huddled before the television set. As our children got older, I started developing a closer friendship. We started playing Madden together, and sharing clothes. They went off to college, but we still texted each other. It was super cool.

Now my kids are grown. They seldom have anything to do with me. They send cards, and insert money. I guess they feel I am not as mature. This is where I find myself today. So, I come here to communicate with people who like the Chiefs, and are at a similar stage of maturity in their life. I tweet, and twitter. I am getting into watching cartoons, but for now, I enjoy this forum most of all.

That's my story. Perhaps you have one like it too.

Oops, I have to change my diaper. Be right back.  

In 1987 the NFL talking heads were discussing dark horse teams and OJ Simpson said he liked the Chiefs. My college roommates and I laughed out loud because we grew up in kc and the Chiefs were terrible for so long. Two years later CP and Marty came to town and started winning like every year. When Joe and Marcus came in 1993 and got so close I knew I was a Chiefs fan for life. It's so glorious to watch this team playing this way this year. Don't sleep on the Chiefs, this could be the start of something big.

I grew up in TN. Back in those days we didn't have a team so most folks were bandwagon Cowboys or Steelers fans (they still are). I wanted to be different, so I latched on to the Houston Oilers. I was a running back and Earl Campbell was my god. Oilers and Steelers were in the same division so I hated Pittsburgh. I hated Dallas because, well, they're Dallas. In our market, we'd get St. Louis Cards (barf) and Chiefs games. I developed a place in my heart for KC back in those days.

I was a Notre Dame fan and loved Joe Cool, so I started rooting for SF. When they beat Dallas on "the catch", I was right there jumping for joy. A couple years later I moved to the Bay Area and continued to follow the 49ers with a soft spot for KC and Houston. Of course, when Joe went to KC it was a sign from god. I went to the LA Coliseum that year to see my first Chiefs game and have only missed 4 Chiefs/Raiders games in Cali since. 

Started going to KC at least once a year in 2001 and have traveled to see them in Seattle, SF, and Philly.

Archived