Weather for Saturday's game

I hate rain. How many passes have been caught by Albert Wilson, Chris Conley, and Travis Kelce in games played in rainy conditions?

The game in the trenches and running the ball is where I was going.  Passing games are usually hampered in these conditions.  Which would be the Patriots edge.

As long as the temperature is above negative 10 degrees, and less than 110 degrees, we have a chance. Honestly, I think the Pats have more to worry about than the Chiefs, and I think they know it. 

Fans get carried away with history, and tradition. Players know the score. They know who matches up, and who doesn't. There is not enough sorcery that Belichick can divine to make up for the difference in talent. Quite frankly, there aren't many players on the Pats team who could find a spot on the Chiefs. Rob Gronkowski is better than Travis Kelce, Tom Brady is better than Alex Smith, Julian Edelman, when healthy, is better than Charcandrick West, Nate Solder is not currently better than Eric Fisher (who has become much better), but he would be better than Stephenson or Jah Reid. Unfortunately, he is out for the season, so much for that. Devin McCourty - FS is good, but is he better than Eric Berry? Not a chance. Patrick Chung - SS is good too, but he isn't any better than Ron Parker. Husain Abdullah, and Daniel Sorensen come off the bench, and they are as good as McCourty. Tyvon Branch relieves Eric Berry, and I think he is better than Chung. So, the depth on the Chiefs roster is at least as good as the starters for the Pats, at safety. Malcolm Butler - CB would not beat out Sean Smith, or rookie Marcus Peters. He would be an improvement over Cooper, Fleming, or Nelson. Chandler Jones at DE is not going to start for the Chiefs. Jamie Collins - OLB would not start. Jabaal Sheard - DE would not start. These are good players, but not at the talent level of Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Allen Bailey, Jaye Howard, Dontari Poe, and maybe even Mike DeVito. Then the Chiefs bring Dee Ford, Frank Zombo, and Dezman Moses off their bench. The Patriots don't have that level of depth. 

In summation, the Pats have three starters who are significantly better. After that, they begin to pale in comparison. Fans look at Brady, Gronk, and Edelson, and think Pats have the advantage. They seldom look at the others. The Chiefs dominate in talent in 40 to 45 other spots. 

Oh, I forgot Danny Amendola, and Donte Hightower. Amendola couldn't beat out Maclin (at full strength), but he would all others. Donte Hightower would maybe beat out Tamba Hali, but even that would be close. There is no way he would beat out Justin Houston. 

I don't like rain because is slows down the pass rush. I also don't like rain because that is not a good condition for Houston or Maclin to try to play in. We need our pass rush this is very bad news for the Chiefs.

I'm actually more worried about the Chiefs' zone-blocking efficacy on a muddy field. If one lineman loses his footing in the initial moments of the play, the whole play breaks down.

On the other hand, the Chiefs' misdirection plays have been very good on occasion, and they can work exceptionally well in wet conditions.

That's a nice field the Patriots play on. They keep the grass in good shape. There is to be rain, about 3/4 of an inch over a 16 hour period. 

My wife and I went to the Tennessee vs KC game in Nashville on October 6, 2013. The wind was strong (18 mph) with gusts of 27 mph. It rained the entire time. There was a little more than 1 inch of rain, and most of it happened during the game. The temperatures were in the 50s and 60s. There was a little problem with passes over 25 yards, but even then there were some longer completions. The emphasis was on short passes and running plays. The Chiefs won handily. 

My perspective is the rain won't affect the game that much. The temperatures should start around 39 degrees at kickoff, and it will drop to 35 degrees at the end of the game. There could be a freezing mix at the end of the game. 

I don't think it will affect one team more than the other. The pass rushers will get there. It isn't as if the game is going to be played in a monsoon. 

I don't think weather will be an issue; both teams play in the same conditions (unless you're playing at Indy).

I don't think so, either.  The ball is kept dry and switched between plays.  The QB's wear gloves that grip even wet balls. Other players change their cleats according to the field. This is much ado about nothing.  I think, if Maclin can't play, the Chiefs will almost neutralize that by playing more 2 TE sets.  Harris is catching the ball better.  Two TE's will also open some plays in the running game.  Smith will pass more to West and Ware as well. As always, the game will be mostly decided on the line of scrimmage.  The Chiefs front seven are superior to their offensive line.  Brady is questionable with his movement regarding the injury, which is tough against a strong pass rushing team.  Brady is out-of-his-mind good, but Smith may be smarter and good enough.  NE has home field advantage, but that hasn't meant much to the Chiefs.  Chiefs also have more momentum.  My only question mark with the Chiefs is their relative inability to overcome a deficit compared to Brady.  I have no idea what will happen, but I think our chances are good.  Weather will be mostly a non-factor.

Let there be rain and give Ware the ball. My only problem with rain is that it's not easy to play man defense against Gronkowski and a quick Edelman. The D backs could slip & slide all over the place trying to cover.

Chiefs offense will be good in the rain, IMO. They're used to throwing short, quick passes and have an OL who can ground and pound for the run

Just hold onto the ball everyone. Hammond, I'm looking at you. Kelce, hold onto the ball! Smith showed some mad skills at holding onto the ball in 2011 despite so many sacks, his hits were hard. Has been good, but haven't seen as many crazy grips since coming here.

About QBs wearing gloves in the rain - Smith has only worn gloves once in his college or pro career and that was the second San Diego game when he underthrew Maclin for his first INT in 312 passes. He better practice using a glove and get it wet between plays or something. Can't have him learning on the fly as well as adjusting to the weather. That said, he can't be TOO concerned about it and we don't that much time to learn it. Just don't want it to be an entirely new feeling.

Just hold onto the ball everyone. Hammond, I'm looking at you. Kelce, hold onto the ball! Smith showed some mad skills at holding onto the ball in 2011 despite so many sacks, his hits were hard. Has been good, but haven't seen as many crazy grip since coming here.

Lol! Hammond... Don't motherfu%# your team.

Lol! Hammond... Don't motherfu%# your team.

I think I would shed an extra tear for Smith if that happened in another playoff game. Especially if it is after playing better than he did with SF. Just don't do it, Hammond! I know you saw Knile Davis return a kick for a TD, but you need to watch Kyle Williams instead. Secure the ball!

I hope I am way off base here, I don't want to be prophetic. Or (sym)pathetic for that matter.

I think I would shed an extra tear for Smith if that happened in another playoff game. Especially if it is after playing better than he did with SF. Just don't do it, Hammond! I know you saw Knile Davis return a kick for a TD, but you need to watch Kyle Williams instead. Secure the ball!

I hope I am way off base here, I don't want to be prophetic. Or (sym)pathetic for that matter.

He has a couple good ones called back this week. He looked much better.

Guest Tomahawkchop

I would think the forecast would favor the chiefs more.  What do you all think?

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USMA0046:1:US

I would think the forecast would favor the chiefs more.  What do you all think?

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USMA0046:1:US

Possibly as they're the stronger running offense.  On the flip side, I would trust Brady to be able to throw in wet, windy conditions more than Alex.  Only time will tell, but I'm looking forward to it.  I have a good feeling about this game - not that that means bupkis.

I think it favors wr if the ground is bad.

Yep, so long as the receiver has respectable hands, relative foot grip, and runs his routes, the receiver knows where he is cutting and the defender has to react or anticipate (correctly or not). Of course, NE's WRs also have the same advantage.

I think it favors wr if the ground is bad.

I think that would only be true for sharp cutting RB's.  The strong, up-the-middle RB's can power their way.  Ware can do both, but if needed, he can do what New England can't...ram it down their throats.

Pats fan here. was searching the web for Gronk's knee and what his availability is when I saw this site!

Someone mentioned here about the Pats past, history etc. None of them matters this game. Whoever plays mistake free will win. Both teams have strengths in areas where the other has slight weakness. I think NE has edge in WR. KC has in RB. KC has strength in DL. NE weakness is OL. NE has advantage is QB. To sum it, don't know who will win! 

NE OL vs KC DL is the key I think. If you look at games that Brady has lost in playoffs, it was when he was harassed by the steady pass rush. He doesn't have any viable long ball threat to negate pass rush since Randy Moss! Pats D is decent but the sum of parts makes them compete. Pats have second most sacks this year in NFL. KC has more playmakers no doubt on D. Will be a good game and a close game. May the better team win!

Pats fan here. was searching the web for Gronk's knee and what his availability is when I saw this site!

Someone mentioned here about the Pats past, history etc. None of them matters this game. Whoever plays mistake free will win. Both teams have strengths in areas where the other has slight weakness. I think NE has edge in WR. KC has in RB. KC has strength in DL. NE weakness is OL. NE has advantage is QB. To sum it, don't know who will win! 

NE OL vs KC DL is the key I think. If you look at games that Brady has lost in playoffs, it was when he was harassed by the steady pass rush. He doesn't have any viable long ball threat to negate pass rush since Randy Moss! Pats D is decent but the sum of parts makes them compete. Pats have second most sacks this year in NFL. KC has more playmakers no doubt on D. Will be a good game and a close game. May the better team win!

Nice breakdown Viggen. Most Patriots fans I have met don't have the ability to communicate that you have demonstrated. It gets a bit tiresome on Twitter, and I end up blocking them. So, bravo for coming in here, being sensible, and bringing some value.

By the way, are you a Saab aficionado, or do you not eat meat, and the resulting lack of protein has affected your ability to spell? My guess is the first, right or wrong?

Saab_37_Viggen_flygvapenmus%C3%A8um.JPG

Nice breakdown Viggen. Most Patriots fans I have met don't have the ability to communicate that you have demonstrated. It gets a bit tiresome on Twitter, and I end up blocking them. So, bravo for coming in here, being sensible, and bringing some value.

By the way, are you a Saab aficionado, or do you not eat meat, and the resulting lack of protein has affected your ability to spell? My guess is the first, right or wrong?

Saab_37_Viggen_flygvapenmus%C3%A8um.JPG

You make fun of people's usernames, I make fun of their avatars. Well, I guess only yours.

Archived