Eagles hired Chiefs OC Doug Pederson as head coach.

The news was broken by the Philadelphia Daily News' Les Bowen. In a statement to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Eagles said they have "concluded our search for a head coach." Pederson's hiring won't become official until the Chiefs' playoff run is through. An NFL assistant since only 2009, Pederson has served as Andy Reid's offensive coordinator since he arrived in Kansas City in 2013. He's overseen conservative, run-heavy units, but also gotten the most out of limited weapons. Along with Reid, Pederson helped the Chiefs successfully scheme around Jamaal Charles' injury to reel off a 10-game winning streak and make the playoffs. It's by no means a home run hire for the Eagles, but Pederson was the best name left on their board. It appears Pederson will be hiring ex-Rams DC Ken Flajole, presumably for the same position.

This is a crock. I have always said that no team should be allowed to communicate or hire a coach until the season is over just like players. If a player cannot be poached off a roster while under contract how can coaches?

This type of crap can cause discord within an organization and during the playoffs the coaches and players don't need any distractions.

This is a crock. I have always said that no team should be allowed to communicate or hire a coach until the season is over just like players. If a player cannot be poached off a roster while under contract how can coaches?

This type of crap can cause discord within an organization and during the playoffs the coaches and players don't need any distractions.

I agree 63. Yet, this continually happens every single year. There's nothing a team can do to void out these distractions. 

I agree 63. Yet, this continually happens every single year. There's nothing a team can do to void out these distractions. 

really63? The Pats seem to function very well with distractions..it actually gives them strength..if the Chiefs lose this will only be the excuse that is used. I have my doubts how much Pederson actually has  influence on on game day.. I see this as only the eagles trying to regain what was lost when Andy left and it wont work IMHO. It has no affect n Saturday's performance. the player win or lose the game some assistant coach leaving has nothing to do with it.

really63? The Pats seem to function very well with distractions..it actually gives them strength..if the Chiefs lose this will only be the excuse that is used. I have my doubts how much Pederson actually has influence on on game day.. I see this as only the eagles trying to regain what was lost when Andy left and it wont work IMHO. It has no affect n Saturday's performance. the player win or lose the game some assistant coach leaving has nothing to do with it.

I agree that shouldn't be an excuse, but it is really hard to win a playoff game and there are so many things go into it. So many games are lost barely and thus, could I say that anyone given thing didn't have an effect? No. I would really prefer that none of the stuff it happen until after the season. Then again, this could also have avoided a distraction from removing questions from Pederson of asking his interest and his conversations with the Eagles.

Andy has the ultimate control of the offense. So, it does not totally surprise me that Childress would take the OC job under Pederson. 

Pederson was calling fewer plays as Andy took hold of the reins of this team. The Chiefs should be fine. I don't see this as a distraction. The players are smart (with a few exceptions), and have got this offense down cold. You know this because their execution has improved, and there are fewer mistakes. 

I am aware many of you dont care and have no problem with this and I know the organization has to give permission but I still don't like the practice of signing, interviewing or messing with coaches or players while the season is still going on.

You run into a few problems here 63, even if I agree with you.   Normally the East-West Shrine game week is the 2nd week of January, followed by the Senior Bowl the 3rd week of January. The waivers system begins the top of February. NFL Regional Combines as well as the Scouting Combine happen throughout February. The new league year, the time at which it would be best for signing of coaches because the playoffs are then over, doesn't begin until the 2nd week of March which coincides with the start of free agency. There is too much going on during the playoffs that NFL teams must focus on, including what type of personnel their new coach needs, to put off coach searches until its convenient for the playoff teams. 

Quick question: which half of the game, during the season, did we do better - the first or second half? Which half led to leads and which half led to game-winning defensive stops?

Which half do you think Reid called the plays, which half do you think Pedersen called them?

Pedersen said that he called the 2nd half plays since the Steelers game. Reid called the first half. During our losing streak, we were all upset about the playcalling - system, style, predictability.

Now, when you are leading in a game, you sit on the ball. At least we do. But several times down the line of the season we were against the wall for our defense and it seemed that we were running vanilla run-out the clock strategy. Reasonable to an extent.

My thoughts are that it seems like we were developing Pederson, not the team in the second half - though I recognize the need to be ultra-conservative when the only thing that can lose a game fast are turnovers. Smith isn't an aggressive QB unless he needs to and even then, it's calculated.

So I can't place blame on Pederson for all that, just saying what I feel. I assume he'll call better plays when he has the whole game to do it and I'll assume that there wasn't any difference in a bad way as far as him saving things for later - after all, I don't think he really had authority or time to change much at any point in season.

You run into a few problems here 63, even if I agree with you.   Normally the East-West Shrine game week is the 2nd week of January, followed by the Senior Bowl the 3rd week of January. The waivers system begins the top of February. NFL Regional Combines as well as the Scouting Combine happen throughout February. The new league year, the time at which it would be best for signing of coaches because the playoffs are then over, doesn't begin until the 2nd week of March which coincides with the start of free agency. There is too much going on during the playoffs that NFL teams must focus on, including what type of personnel their new coach needs, to put off coach searches until its convenient for the playoff teams.

I don't think it's that huge of a deal. At best early on, you might thnk of a staff. It's not like you're gonna tear down a roster while forming a gameplan with your current team.

If a college team came and did it, I'd be more concerned. Nothing is going to change because they don't want things to change.

Coaches need a little off period also, so ideally you really don't want to drag out the off season shit any more. Teams and coaches aren't going to sit on their hands till after the Super Bowl because the Senior Bowl takes place before that point, and that's the big job fair for them.

Archived