Thanks for a great run KC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D Harris needs to get used more.

The more I think about it the more I realize that was bad offense. Zero creativity. Two tight end patterns?

Good bye Pederson

I joked about it in the game day thread, but maybe really if we had had Harris for one of the attempts in the endzone it would've been good. Smith threw high Omar least one throw. On the other, Kelce stumbled and was held. The announcer even said they should've called pass interference, so while that could've been overthrown or too high, I give the players the benefit of the doubt that if he hadn't stumbled or been held that there would've been a chance. The quarterback has to throw before the stumble or the hold.

Offensive line looked good. To me the turning point of the game was when we were down 7-3 with great field position sitting on the NE 35 and we decide not to run the ball. Reid for whatever reason went brain dead. Ended up tossing  a bubble screen to Kelce which was poorly blocked. We end up going 3 and out and on NE's ensuing position they drive 98 yards for a TD. Boom ,ball game.

Exactly. Poor play calling.

I'm bummed out that we lost this game, but I think our deficiencies became apparent as the game went on. This team is not built to come back from behind which means other pieces have to work like a Swiss clocks (and today they weren't) to go deep into the playoffs.

We may still win a playoff game next year, but it doesn't look like we'll get much further unless the offense is seriously revamped. I think the D is good enough to keep us in the game.  

Applaichan Chief why would you apologize?  OT and I are fans just like you are.   Losing hurts just as much.  We just approach it differently that's all.  I have a 50 year history with this team.  I really appreciate this season.  It was so much fun playing football into January.  The Chiefs are a good team.  A very good team.  Today they played somebody that was better than they were.   Simple as that.   Can't wait until next year.

Applaichan Chief why would you apologize? OT and I are fans just like you are. Losing hurts just as much. We just approach it differently that's all. I have a 50 year history with this team. I really appreciate this season. It was so much fun playing football into January. The Chiefs are a good team. A very good team. Today they played somebody that was better than they were. Simple as that. Can't wait until next year.

Reid needs to just run the game/team. Hire a great OC. Open up the offense and add a weapon. DAT would have been nice today.

This game came down to us kicking fg vs there TD and the turnover by Davis. Our d didn't help our o much but man did Alex play his heart out even without some of his weapons. They moved the ball well. When I look at the way this game played out we were lacking some threats on offense. If maclin was healthy, I would say we may have won. We went toe to toe without some of our stars.

It hurts to loose as a Chiefs fan, but the way they played today I am proud to be a Chiefs fan.

I'm right with you about Jamal. The offense looked  more confident with him out of the lineup. Alex Smith, opened up and West and Ware were a good 1 - 2 punch. The question is can Reid compliment Jamal's touches with a balanced offensive game plan. That he hasn't done. We'll find out next year. Obviously, I blurt out Jamal out of frustration. Don't think it would have changed the outcome of today's game much had he played. Maybe Reid can finally learn how to use Jamal when needed without him being 90% of the gameplan.

Exactly. Jamaal was overused without a doubt, but mostly because of a lack of other playmakers (or so we thought), so teams keyed on him.  Reid is not dumb.  With Ware and West in a three back rotation, Jamaal will be incredible next year and stay fresh and healthier for a few more years.  The question is whether he will be a team guy and accept that, or whether he will insist on being the featured guy on offense as he was in the past.  I am hoping for the former.  But I know that his special skills will blow some minds next year. People have short memories. Nobody can cut and keep their balance at that speed. He is a freak of nature. He makes people look foolish.  And he has good YAC, because he is strong in his legs.  He seemed injury prone, but anyone who takes that many snaps will be perceived as injury prone. I am amazed he was not hurt more often.

Chiefs need a RT, and a WR. Houston was hurt. He didn't play much. My guess is he is worse than suggested. Would not be surprised to hear he is going to have some kind of surgery. Maclin gave it a go, but a high ankle sprain tough. I doubt he would have been able to return the next game had they won. I did not like some of the play calls, but we have seen that all season long. 

The Chiefs need to re-sign Tamba Hali. They need to either get Poe or Howard under contract. Poe has another year. Howard is an UFA, now. The Chiefs need a play making WR in the draft. They need to a FA RT (Mitch Schwartz, anybody?) They need to sign D.J. 

Mike DeVito will retire, IMO. They need to sign Berry. He is still young, and is better than ever. I would let Husain Abdullah go, and sign Branch. Extend Jeff Allen. Sorensen, Zombo, Harris, and West can be had for the minimum. 

Reid needs to just run the game/team. Hire a great OC. Open up the offense and add a weapon. DAT would have been nice today.

DAT is never coming back, IMHO. 

Hiring an OC may be difficult. They usually like to run the offense, and don't like it when they are continually overruled. 

They need another WR, and a RT. Stephenson won't be back. Jah Reid looks more like a RG, and could split with LDT next season. Fish got his first penalty since coming back. He had more good moments than bad. Will Grubbs be healthy? His neck injury seemed strange. There is no savings to let him walk, but no loss either. 

Chiefs need a RT, and a WR. Houston was hurt. He didn't play much. My guess is he is worse than suggested. Would not be surprised to hear he is going to have some kind of surgery. Maclin gave it a go, but a high ankle sprain tough. I doubt he would have been able to return the next game had they won. I did not like some of the play calls, but we have seen that all season long.

The Chiefs need to re-sign Tamba Hali. They need to either get Poe or Howard under contract. Poe has another year. Howard is an UFA, now. The Chiefs need a play making WR in the draft. They need to a FA RT (Mitch Schwartz, anybody?) They need to sign D.J.

Mike DeVito will retire, IMO. They need to sign Berry. He is still young, and is better than ever. I would let Husain Abdullah go, and sign Branch. Extend Jeff Allen. Sorensen, Zombo, Harris, and West can be had for the minimum.

Branch over Abdullah is madness

DAT is never coming back, IMHO. 

Hiring an OC may be difficult. They usually like to run the offense, and don't like it when they are continually overruled. 

They need another WR, and a RT. Stephenson won't be back. Jah Reid looks more like a RG, and could split with LDT next season. Fish got his first penalty since coming back. He had more good moments than bad. Will Grubbs be healthy? His neck injury seemed strange. There is no savings to let him walk, but no loss either. 

that's why andy will probably promote from within the staff (from what i have heard) so it will be someone who knows what his style is

Considering Hali and Houston not able to affect the game, Maclin playing part time and at half speed, and the shuffle in the O-line, I think the Chiefs did about as well as expected.  It was disappointing on the first Pats drive that the defense couldn't get off the field, but Brady got the ball out so quickly and the Chiefs had no answer so maybe it's just that today NE is a better team.  Like Bil, I'm ready for next year.

Achilles Heel:

Patriots' time of possession: 22:09

Patriots' offensive plays: 56

Patriots' offensive scoring: 27

It wasn't as inexcusable as the meltdown against the Colts' offense, but it was a poor defensive performance. After the Chiefs' defense allowed a game-opening score, the Chiefs' offense kept them off the field. They never leveraged any of the advantage that the Chiefs' offense could manage despite an insufficient number of red-zone playmakers.

The Dezman Moses personal foul was damaging. The Knile Davis fumble was a momentum-changer. In a game in which players on both sides of the ball were dinged up, game-losing mistakes were made by the healthy players.

That being said, the Chiefs are no less than a top-seven team in the NFL in 2015, and by tomorrow, they could end up being the team that drafts 28th in 2016. That's better than most thought this team would be in early October. Now there's an entire off-season during which we can double-guess the outrageously costly re-signing of Justin Houston, and wonder what might happen in any post-season game where Alex Smith's teammates don't lose fumbles or give up 28-point leads.

Silver Lining: I thought the Chiefs' offensive line did an incredible job today. They made mistakes, and occasionally yielded quick pressures, but I am inclined to believe that if Davis doesn't put the ball on the ground, the Chiefs have a real shot at winning the game that was lost today, and much of that was on the line that put Smith in the best position to lead the offense.

Positions of need: Wide Receiver, cornerback, defensive end.

It's interesting how a defense and a offense of a team can be affected by just having a lead.

If the Chiefs could have scored a td on one of the 2 fg and at least scored a fg on the drive that Davis fumbled the defense may have had more success based on what pats would have to do to either catch up or stay pace.

Scoring first is so important in these big games.

Overall Chiefs with all there injuries put up a hell of a fight. Smith played his ass off. Cudos to him.

It's interesting how a defense and a offense of a team can be affected by just having a lead.

If the Chiefs could have scored a td on one of the 2 fg and at least scored a fg on the drive that Davis fumbled the defense may have had more success based on what pats would have to do to either catch up or stay pace.

Overall Chiefs with all there injuries put up a hell of a fight. Smith played his ass off. Cudos to him.

I agree. The Chiefs shut out the Texans in part because of the momentum swing of a game-opening kickoff return for a touchdown. The defense was handed an advantage, and leveraged it effectively.

Even so, against the Patriots the Chiefs were never down by so many scores that the defense had no leverage left. They simply didn't manage enough quarterback pressures, didn't force a turnover, and didn't make key third down stops. It was one of their poorest performances of the entire season, which is a shame considering what the offense accomplished with such limited resources while the Chiefs' defense has one star playmaker after another.

Someone is going to get to receive the opening kickoff. It was on the Chiefs' defense to stop the Patriots from marching 80 yards down the field in a game where the Chiefs' offense was going to struggle. They failed. Now I can make alternate plans for the Conference Championship and Super Bowl Sundays. I got two more weeks of Chiefs' football than I got last year.

This is why I hate deferring to a team who is good. I realize that you also want to be able to score last in the first half and first in the second half and that's an advantage, but I really do think that having a good drive first helps you either in getting a lead or pinning the other team back deep in their territory. When we are playing Brian Hoyer, then deferring would be OK.

Branch over Abdullah is madness

Absolutely.

I also agree with the ideas expressed, that Reid will promote from within for an OC and disagree with the suggestion that WR is one of our first priorities.  Conley will be excellent with another off season of route running training.  Conley, Maclin, and Wilson will be formidable. Knile Davis will remain an ST ace and kickoff returner. He is flat out good at it.  I also believe that the Chiefs are excited about the progress of Demetrius Harris and have a lot of confidence in O'Shaunessy. They will be working on some 3 TE sets, which Reid loves.  It is also too early, without any actual knowledge, to know what happened to DAT and assume he will be gone.  Houston will be fine and may or may not need some kind of minor surgery.  Ford keeps getting better and better every time I see him and seems to be more than capable of covering the edges against even fast RB's.

I see Dorsey taking care of business and filling in the pieces.  I see great things ahead. 

This was an epic come back season and the most fun I have had in a while watching my team.  Hey you can't win them all.  Being without Charles was overcame like you want to see a pro team do it.  But let's face it.  Losing Maclin, Houston, Ware, Morse and LDT for this game was just too much to overcome.  Hali had a bad knee and broken thumb.  You just can't stop NE with Eldman and Gronk on the field without a pass rush.  You can't score unless you can stop the pass rush.  We were out manned in the trenches and it would have taken an absolutely perfect game to beat NE with all the breaks going their way.

Great run.  I can't wait for next year. 

Amen,

Great Run.

Solid Season, with a playoff win.

The Pressure is now back on Dorsey to continue to build a SB Winner.

Next Year we Need to get to the Big game.

Simple Progression.

w

Big big clerical offseason.

Berry

Poe

Howard

S Smith

DJ

Allen

West

Ware

Abdullah

We are going to lose a lot of guys

Big big clerical offseason.

Berry

Poe

Howard

S Smith

DJ

Allen

West

Ware

Abdullah

We are going to lose a lot of guys

Poe is on his fifth-year option and will be under contract. Berry might be franchise tagged. West and Ware are restricted free agents.

After these, Howard, Allen, and Abdullah seem to be the players who will bring the most value if re-signed.

Poe is on his fifth-year option and will be under contract. Berry might be franchise tagged. West and Ware are restricted free agents.

After these, Howard, Allen, and Abdullah seem to be the players who will bring the most value if re-signed.

Absolutely agree.

Archived