Thanks for a great run KC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaines has also had 2 concussions..

Why do we seem to have so many concussions and when we do, they take so long to get back? In fact, in general, most of our players take a long time to get back from any non-season ending injury? (Not calling concussions minor.) I guess were lucky to not have many season ending injuries. We've had our share, though: DAT, Gaines, Charles, DJ before, and Grubbs.

Why do we seem to have so many concussions and when we do, they take so long to get back? In fact, in general, most of our players take a long time to get back from any non-season ending injury? (Not calling concussions minor.) I guess were lucky to not have many season ending injuries. We've had our share, though: DAT, Gaines, Charles, DJ before, and Grubbs.

Concussions are now diagnosed more frequently, because it has been found that the long term consequences of accumlated  milder head injuries also occur with the same frequency as with concussions previously diagnosed using more rigid criteria.  The long term effects of head injuries sufficient to cause wooziness are the reason 70% of all former NFL players develop shrinkage of the brain and behavioral disorders.  The lawsuits are too expensive for NFL teams to bear when players are cleared to play too soon.  You have endlessly read about the new "concussion protocol."  Well, thats the reason that protocol developed.  Full mental cognitive recovery prior to further head trauma has been shown to greatly reduce the severe long-term problems...and lawsuits.  Remember our player who became homicidal and then suicidal after suffering several concussions?  That cost the Chiefs plenty, and the NFL has learned its lessons the hard way...in the pocketbook.

Players who have a concussion now have to pass multiple test of cognitive function before being cleared to play.

Concussions are now diagnosed more frequently, because it has been found that the long term consequences of accumlated milder head injuries also occur with the same frequency as with concussions previously diagnosed using more rigid criteria. The long term effects of head injuries sufficient to cause wooziness are the reason 70% of all former NFL players develop shrinkage of the brain and behavioral disorders. The lawsuits are too expensive for NFL teams to bear when players are cleared to play too soon. You have endlessly read about the new "concussion protocol." Well, thats the reason that protocol developed. Full mental cognitive recovery prior to further head trauma has been shown to greatly reduce the severe long-term problems...and lawsuits. Remember our player who became homicidal and then suicidal after suffering several concussions? That cost the Chiefs plenty, and the NFL has learned its lessons the hard way...in the pocketbook.

Players who have a concussion now have to pass multiple test of cognitive function before being cleared to play.

Right, but I meant what is Kansas City seem to deal with more than other teams. I follow the NFL and it doesn't seem like it does as often for other teams. Obviously, I follow our guys more, but I look around.

next year I think the Division is ours..that'll be a good start

yep..

and...I LOVE this team..the makeup of it..the leaders..and Alex Smith is a tough talented competitor..

just wish we could have seen Houston pushing the pocket and Maclin catching everything while stretching the field!!..might have had a different outcome..anyway..

Go CHIEFS!!!!!!!

Right, but I meant what is Kansas City seem to deal with more than other teams. I follow the NFL and it doesn't seem like it does as often for other teams. Obviously, I follow our guys more, but I look around.

You may be right. I don't really know. I would prefer that our Chiefs organization be in the forefront of doing what is best for the players. The Chiefs diagnose concussion and institute the protocol probably more than most teams.  Despite the time lost to concussions, the Chiefs lost to NE for only two real reasons.  They played without a bye week in the opponent's stadium.  That is pretty much it.  New England had time to heal its players and prepare strategy for two weeks and did not have to travel. Nearly all of its most important players were available at 100% and rested.  For us to get to the next level, all we have to do is win the division, stay the course, and get a bye.  That is why the bye week is so important.  The Chiefs are doing it the right way regarding concussions and are being extremely careful.  In the long run, it is best, because those players are a valuable investment.  They aren't expendable. Just my thoughts.

Didn't we have a Bye week against the Colts a few years back....What was the name of our kicker again? :o

w

Wasn't that game played in Indianapolis? I'm pretty sure it was a road game for us.  And No, I don't think we had a bye, because we were a wild card team.  So, we played the Colts as an away playoff game with only the normal week's rest.

It was at Arrowhead after a bye week.

The "kicker who shall not be named" game.

Oh.  You're talking about the infamous Linn Eliot field goal miss in 1996, not the 45-44 loss in Jan. 2014.  I see!  I should have figured it was that long ago game.  Hell, I was still in diapers.  (I had dysentery).

Archived