If You Could Keep Just One: Jamaal Charles or Sean Smith

Who Would Be More Important to the Chiefs in 2016?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would Be More Important to the Chiefs in 2016?

• Jamaal Charles
    • Sean Smith

I like Smith. He plays hard. Has a lot of heart. But, for him to win, everything around him has to be perfect. It's like you pointed out about receivers not getting seperation. He has to see that. He can't throw a receiver open. He is what he is. Get over it.

How is that reasonable? He did throw receivers open. Heck, the defense was awful last weekend, but if Knile Davis doesn't fumble, the Chiefs might have tied the game in the third quarter rather than be down by fifteen points the next time they got the ball back (after only a five-play, 69-yard touchdown drive by the Patriots). The defense could have played as badly, and the Chiefs still would have had a chance to win, and it would have been attributed to Alex Smith. Smith does not need everything around him to be perfect. What Smith needs is for his teammates to elevate themselves to his quality of play. A little bit of health on the part of his team wouldn't hurt: In all of Smith's post-season playoff losses, either the number one or number two wide receiver did not finish the game. Smith wasn't flawless, but he was less flawless than Brady last week (Brady threw a number of bad passes last week). The difference was that Brady's defense didn't gack away quick scores, and Brady's runningbacks didn't give away the football.

When Alex Smith set a record for Fourth Quarter Comebacks in San Francisco, part of the reason he could do that was because his teammates weren't constantly coughing up the football. It's a team game. Smith needs his teammates to show up in mid-January.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rag on the D all you want. We all are. But, without them we don't win 11 straight. The offense, and Alex Smith, were never good enough to carry us through that streak. That was the Defense.

I like Smith. He plays hard. Has a lot of heart. But, for him to win, everything around him has to be perfect. It's like you pointed out about receivers not getting seperation. He has to see that. He can't throw a receiver open. He is what he is. Get over it.

Exaggerations don't help or add to the discussion. He needs his RB not to fumble and receivers to run a scramble drill instead of standing. Needing a player to do his job, not asking said player to elude everybody and score off YAC, is not needing everything perfect. It would have helped if the ref called PI on one of the endzone passes that appeared too high, but we still could have won with the ball secured and average effort at a scramble drill. His defense catching one of three INT opportunities would have helped but not becessary if the first two things happened. Better clock management wouldn't have been needed if those two things happened. Not asking for Megatron and Fitzgerald, for West to be AP, for Reid to be Belichick, etc.

I believe the Chiefs will bring back Jamaal Charles, but at a lower CAP number. Alex Smith should be given more discretion in play calling. I think that has already started to happen. The more out of the box the Chiefs get with Alex, the better they can utilize his greatest asset (his mind). Alex needed to get familiar with his OL. The OL did improve, especially when Jeff Allen came back, and solidified the LG position. RT and RG became the bigger issue, but Alex learned to deal with it as he became more confident in the lineman on his left.

Jamaal has to learn to play a different role if he is to return. He is no longer going to be the bell cow. This will actually help Charles. I think the Chiefs got out of using Charles in the WR position before he got hurt this past season. He is so effective in that role, they cannot give it up. Charcandrick West can do some of those same things. West, Ware, and Charles should combine for a potent running back trio. Charles never needed a certain amount of carries to be effective. He was effective playing second fiddle to Larry Johnson. He can be effective splitting carries with Ware, and West.  

Not asking for Megatron and Fitzgerald, for West to be AP, for Reid to be Belichick, etc.

If the Chiefs win that game because players executed, Reid would still not yet have earned Belicheck's status as a coach, but there wouldn't be this controversy over Belicheck's clock management, and there wouldn't appear to be a significant gap between Reid and Belicheck. Instead, Patriots fans would be spending this week talking about how Reid out-coached Belicheck, and why wasn't Belicheck able to leverage a healthy offense against an unhealthy Chiefs' defense.

There's just way too much swinging of the pendulum in losses, and too many Chiefs fans have their sacred cows that they won't subject to scrutiny because it's so much easier to rag on the figureheads everyone in the media complains about.

We get it. The defense sucked. The O-line sucked. The receivers sucked. The RBs sucked. Play calling sucked. Andy Reid sucked. The special teams sucked. Everyone else played great! Just like all of our losses.

In my pro-Smithness, I didn't fail to realize that the offensive line played to me what seemed to be one of their best games to date, and Charcandrick West wasn't terrible either. I also don't think that the Chiefs' coaching had a substantially negative impact on the game. If anything, it looks like the Chiefs in 2016 will have a more consistent offense with a higher ceiling. The irony of the way the Chiefs' season ended is just a little tough for all to swallow. Meanwhile, the Patriots will drum the Broncos, the complete Cardinals team will out-compete the complete Panthers team as Bruce Arians out-coaches Ron Rivera, and the Super Bowl winner will be decided on the basis of which team plays better on defense, the same way pretty much every Super Bowl gets decided.

In my pro-Smithness, I didn't fail to realize that the offensive line played to me what seemed to be one of their best games to date, and Charcandrick West wasn't terrible either. I also don't think that the Chiefs' coaching had a substantially negative impact on the game. If anything, it looks like the Chiefs in 2016 will have a more consistent offense with a higher ceiling. The irony of the way the Chiefs' season ended is just a little tough for all to swallow. Meanwhile, the Patriots will drum the Broncos, the complete Cardinals team will out-compete the complete Panthers team as Bruce Arians out-coaches Ron Rivera, and the Super Bowl winner will be decided on the basis of which team plays better on defense, the same way pretty much every Super Bowl gets decided.

Your "pro-Smithness."  :lol:  A new royal word.  I agree, Your pro-Smithness.  Hahahaha. 

I think I posted this before - all these post mortems (and I know something about that) have focused on what who did or didn't do that was disappointing.  Again, the Chiefs played a great game.  Nobody screwed up.  We were missing our most important offensive and defensive players.  We played in their stadium.  And they had a week extra to rest and rehabilitate, not travel, get their people well, and strategize.  The pass rush was neutralized by Brady's incredibly quick release, which everyone knew was true leading up to the game. It really isn't hard to know why we lost by a mere 7 points.  All the yammering in the world doesn't change the simplicity of the facts that were known before the game.  The only reliable way to win the whole thing is not to have to play a wildcard game in the first place.  Win the division, get a bye, rest your players who have busted their asses for 16 games getting to the playoffs, and come into the divisional series after a little rest and rehab.

In my opinion, the patient died a natural death...at the age of 97.

Wow, this thread turned from a discussion about Charles & Smith to a straight up football/Chiefs discussion. I love it, and may run out of likes for today.

The one thing I really noticed that Phata brought up was how well the oline played. They allowed some pressure at times, but there were other times were they blocked their butts off.

Your "pro-Smithness." :lol: A new royal word. I agree, Your pro-Smithness. Hahahaha.

I think I posted this before - all these post mortems (and I know something about that) have focused on what who did or didn't do that was disappointing. Again, the Chiefs played a great game. Nobody screwed up. We were missing our most important offensive and defensive players. We played in their stadium. And they had a week extra to rest and rehabilitate, not travel, get their people well, and strategize. The pass rush was neutralized by Brady's incredibly quick release, which everyone knew was true leading up to the game. It really isn't hard to know why we lost by a mere 7 points. All the yammering in the world doesn't change the simplicity of the facts that were known before the game. The only reliable way to win the whole thing is not to have to play a wildcard game in the first place. Win the division, get a bye, rest your players who have busted their asses for 16 games getting to the playoffs, and come into the divisional series after a little rest and rehab.

In my opinion, the patient died a natural death...at the age of 97.

I agree with this 100%. Nobody blew that game. Completely healthy we win a hard fought game. With all of our injuries, no way. Great season and a playoff win. I don't see how you can't be happy with the direction we are headed.

I also think that we played a good game, against a better opponent, and came up short.  IF we had a healthy Maclin, and IF we had a healthy Houston, and IF we had a healthy Ware, the outcome could have possibly been different.  Wile I still think we had a team that could beat the Pats on the right day, it seems that everyone seems to forget that we were beaten by the defending champs.  They were one of the last undefeated teams of the season.  They do have one of the greatest QB's that has played the game.  They have one of the most dominant TE's to have ever played the game.  We can all hope for Brady's demise, but the way he played against us shows that he is still a great QB.  His abilities have not eroded like Mannings have and I could see him playing another 2-3 years at a high level.  As some have said, the key is to win the West and have homefield throughout the playoffs.  If that happens next year, then I feel good about our chances to get to the Super Bowl.  JMO

Archived