Will NFL football be gone in 20 years?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so. The faster they collide...

So they could remove kickoffs or allow the receiving team to take the ball at the 15 or 20, foregoing the kickoff in the first three quarters (the fourth would have to be there for onside kick opportunities). They could maybe keep the opening kicks of each half and OT. I say 15 because there has to be a detriment other than giving up the big return chance.

As for punts, don't know if you could do anything. The possibility for a return is greater, IMO and kickers deserve the chance to kick to the 1 yard line.

I'd like the hit in last game to cost them a down but that's too aggressive and probably wouldn't have changed anything. It cost them 2.5 yards. Maybe push them to the 2.5 yard line and make it first and 22.5 (preserving the 15 yards). ;)

So they could remove kickoffs or allow the receiving team to take the ball at the 15 or 20, foregoing the kickoff in the first three quarters (the fourth would have to be there for onside kick opportunities). They could maybe keep the opening kicks of each half and OT. I say 15 because there has to be a detriment other than giving up the big return chance.

As for punts, don't know if you could do anything. The possibility for a return is greater, IMO and kickers deserve the chance to kick to the 1 yard line.

I'd like the hit in last game to cost them a down but that's too aggressive and probably wouldn't have changed anything. It cost them 2.5 yards. Maybe push them to the 2.5 yard line and make it first and 22.5 (preserving the 15 yards). ;)

Throwing a bucket of water on a forest fire.

Bunch of random thoughts here so...

I could see a kick and punt return rule implemented in the not so distant future. All possessions starting at the 20 yard line at the beginning of halves and following scores. If a team chooses to "punt" it is an automatic 40 yard walk-off (NFL average for eternity) and change of possession. You're eliminating what is a huge segment of the game, at least in my opinion, but you are eliminating the most violent collisions.

I think there are other things that could be done, such as career length limits and such. Cap a player's NFL eligibility to 10 years or 7 years, or whatever would be reasonable. Increase the minimum wages for younger players so that they aren't risking life and limb hoping for a big payday later on. Cap veteran contracts to help increase the pay for younger players. Increase roster sizes so that teams can better prevent playing injured players. There's plenty that can be done to decrease risk aside from just equipment. Also, require all players to wear all pads without shaving. That means full knee pads, full thigh pads, full shoulder pads. This way, if a player hits another players knee with his helmet, there is some absorption into the padding on impact other than just the helmet while at the same time better protecting the other player.

Helmet technology has changed 10-fold since I played and I only see that continuing, but there will ALWAYS be a risk for head injury in football since it is a collision sport. Back in high school, our coaches forced us to read the helmet warning sticker as a team before every practice began. Levels thereafter the coaches reinforced not to lead with the helmet and the risk of concussion at least a few times a week and before games. I can only think that every level has began to be much more conscious. The new NOCSAE stickers are like reading a book, compared the couple short blips that were on ours back in the day.

What's lost in this whole process in the courts is knowledge available at the time. We can reach back to the 1930's and find that there was knowledge of boxers getting "punch-drunk syndrome" after repeated head trauma. Obviously, there was at least some amount of knowledge available on the subject, but nothing to the extent that we've seen found in the past decade. Scientific study on CTE and repetitive head trauma has gained significant ground only in recent times. To argue that players should be further compensated because of new evidence is ridiculous to me. Should the NFL have a duty to the players to continually try to make the game as safe as possible and use any new medical evidence to further enhance the sport? Sure, but it can't be retroactive. 

Also, this all comes down to choice of employment. Despite the risks, these players choose to continue to play football. My back can attest that I should not have played until age 29. Thankfully, I have most of my brain cells in the same location they began, or so I think. Retiring is an option and finding another career is an option. For instance, nursing has one of the highest injury rates of all jobs in the U.S. so I could do that and risk screwing my back up royally at some point. I could also choose to be a bank teller and have almost no risk of injury. I'll probably make alot more money as a nurse though. Bottom line is, despite the risk, players are there for two reasons: money and enjoyment of the occupation. At what point do we feel we have to hold the NFL entirely responsible? Are the players completely unaccountable?

Right, but we don't have much water. We have gas and gas vapors. People don't want to helicopter dump water on it. They're more concerned with the trees looking nice than the fire being out.

Having gas and dumps?  I don't know about you, KC.

in most every way else he but raised by his mother in Indiana..he's a Indiana Hoosier BBall fan :o

He has impeccable taste in basketball.

Not sure about the football-thing, though.

Actually, if he's been exposed to IU football, that's probably what ruined it for him.  :lol:

ATLchief

Indiana University '91

NIce post, kc.  You put a lot of time and thought into that.  I think there are a few false analogies and some lack of appreciation of how many concussed players were literally forced back into action when they had no idea what they were doing. The real stunning finding are the large studies that show that probably closer to 95% of players suffer brain damage to some degree that keeps getting worse with age.  How much the NFL owners knew the extent of the risk and whether they fully disclosed it to players (what did they know, and when did they know it?  And what did they tell the players?) will be a matter of legal discovery. This will take some time, but the discovery process will be huge.  This kind of reminds me of the "unsafe at any speed" thing that brought Detroit to its knees.  You may be right, but the woman who is the judge that will decide if the class action can proceed could be initiating the end of a sport that would slowly unfold.  It isn't going away.  And yes, this also applies to college ball.  The false analogy that I was referring to was your comparing automobile safety and your knowledge of risk when driving a car. This is completely unlike that, because the percentage of people who are permanently damaged from driving is completely unlike the 80-90% risk of damage from playing football. Not even in the same ballpark.  Discovery will also show exactly how risks were explained to players.  As you mentioned, these risks have been known over 50 years, so what will discovery find regarding whether this knowledge was completely conveyed to the young players?

Sorry Bil but these guys need to shut up and color. As mentioned earlier theses guys knew the risk back when they started playing and if they didn't that's their fault and nobody else. As I have mentioned before, I knew in junior high in the 70s what a concussion was so as college students they should have known as well, unless your saying college is a waste of time because people don't learn anything in them.

They wanted to use their skills to get out or get ahead but either way it was THEIR decision. As a retired military man I knew the risk that came with my job and accepted them. I have had several shoulder and knee surgeries and wear hearing aids due to my military service but you don't see me going after the contractors that made the radios, generators, aircraft, or munitions that caused my injuries. Reason being, like ball players I made my decision, knew the consequences, and decided to continue with my job.

Sorry Bil but these guys need to shut up and color. As mentioned earlier theses guys knew the risk back when they started playing and if they didn't that's their fault and nobody else. As I have mentioned before, I knew in junior high in the 70s what a concussion was so as college students they should have known as well, unless your saying college is a waste of time because people don't learn anything in them.

They wanted to use their skills to get out or get ahead but either way it was THEIR decision. As a retired military man I knew the risk that came with my job and accepted them. I have had several shoulder and knee surgeries and wear hearing aids due to my military service but you don't see me going after the contractors that made the radios, generators, aircraft, or munitions that caused my injuries. Reason being, like ball players I made my decision, knew the consequences, and decided to continue with my job.

I hope your insurance is better than the NFL's insurance. But then again, I appreciate your line of work more than the player's. And you were paid less to do it, even with all the stories about players playing as a part-time job before.

We all know those arguments, and there is obvious merit.  But if they are the absolute analogy that you make it out to be, then why do players use helmets at all?  Why do military actions require evasive maneuvers? Why were tanks created? Why are there fortresses?  Why is there armor?  Why do pilots wear parachutes?  Gimme a break.  Soldiers go into battle because they are ordered to, because it is their duty. I know that reasoning can be picked apart also, but that makes it no less relevant.  You don't see concussions in baseball, unless an outfielder runs into a wall.  They don't all become feeble after they retire and forget their children's names or kill their girlfriends and themselves.  I could not stop watching the Royals.  It is just as exciting and nail-biting, just as thrilling when they win in the playoffs.  Let's face it. Football is inherently dangerous to people's brains, and there are actions that should be taken to reduce or eliminate the level of risk. To not do so is based on negligence and greed. People like injurious mayhem, or they wouldn't enjoy it, as long as it isn't them out their playing it. That's what makes the big bucks.

Watch what happens in this unfolding lawsuit.  See what the judges decide based on the discovery process.

I think it will be more than that.  I posted this before, but I think this would be exciting:  Take out six rows of seats on the sides and at both ends.  Make the field 150 yards.  First downs would be 15 yards.  The players wear uniforms with sensors in the material programmed to detect contact by opposing players programmed uniforms.  A player is down when touched, and the computer places the ball precisely without line judges.  Any contact sufficient to cause a player to go down is a penalty.  Defensive players would be further apart creating bigger gaps.  Teams would draft for incredibly fast players with good vision and cutting ability.  QB's would survey the field and throw much longer passes, requiring intelligence, skill, and great arm strength and vision.  Kicking would become a huge part of the game, finally living up to the name "football".  Kickers would have legs the size of oak trees.  QB's would have arms the size of wooden fence posts.  The game would be fast, amazing, and not based on head to head collisions and tackling.  I think it would be at least as exciting as a sport, unless a fan prefers blood lust.

I think it will be more than that. I posted this before, but I think this would be exciting: Take out six rows of seats on the sides and at both ends. Make the field 150 yards. First downs would be 15 yards. The players wear uniforms with sensors in the material programmed to detect contact by opposing players programmed uniforms. A player is down when touched, and the computer places the ball precisely without line judges. Any contact sufficient to cause a player to go down is a penalty. Defensive players would be further apart creating bigger gaps. Teams would draft for incredibly fast players with good vision and cutting ability. QB's would survey the field and throw much longer passes, requiring intelligence, skill, and great arm strength and vision. Kicking would become a huge part of the game, finally living up to the name "football". Kickers would have legs the size of oak trees. QB's would have arms the size of wooden fence posts. The game would be fast, amazing, and not based on head to head collisions and tackling. I think it would be at least as exciting as a sport, unless a fan prefers blood lust.

:lol:

Why do military actions require evasive maneuvers? Why were tanks created? Why are there fortresses? Why is there armor? Why do pilots wear parachutes

Why do offensive and defensive coordinators call plays, why were helmets and "sholder-ma-pads" created, why are there climate controlled stadiums, why do ee have referees on the field primarily out there to protect offensive player's. Wr can ask why's all day. Bottom line, they do it for fame and fortune not for nobility and we should stop raising them above anyone else.

Why do offensive and defensive coordinators call plays, why were helmets and "sholder-ma-pads" created, why are there climate controlled stadiums, why do ee have referees on the field primarily out there to protect offensive player's. Wr can ask why's all day. Bottom line, they do it for fame and fortune not for nobility and we should stop raising them above anyone else.

Why are Presidents protected by Secret Service?  They are only in it for fame and power.  Why should they be raised above everyone else?  Sorry.  Its a silly argument.  I see all of them as people whose choices in life do not eliminate our obligation to protect them, unless they are trying to to kill other people...unless that is to protect themselves from being killed.

Archived