Andy defends clock management..

Reid said in an interview on 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City that he recognizes the importance of clock management but disagrees with those who think the Chiefs were too slow as they took more than five minutes off the clock before scoring a touchdown that brought them within seven points of the Patriots.

“I think clock management’s very important,” Reid said. “Every situation’s different. It’s a fluid situation on the spot and you’ve got to go off of feel. . . . This situation, I think, was handled right.”

Reid noted that the Chiefs still had all three timeouts after they scored, and he thought that if they had recovered the onside kick they would have been in good shape.

“I thought we handled it right,” Reid said. “You give us a minute on the clock and three timeouts, we feel like we can move the ball pretty good.”

Reid said that he didn’t feel the need to hurry up the play calling because he thought it was more important to call plays that would be effective than to call plays quickly.

“At that point it really didn’t matter to me. I wanted to make sure we were calling the best plays,” Reid said.

The Chiefs did call the plays that got them into the end zone at the end of that drive. But they took so long in calling those plays that they gave themselves little margin for error. When the Chiefs failed to recover the onside kick and then allowed the Patriots’ offense to pick up a first down, that was the game. That’s what happens when you waste time on offense while trailing by two touchdowns, and the slow pace of the Chiefs’ offense was a mistake, whether Reid wants to admit it or not.

Permalink 74 Comments icon-rss.gif Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, N

I don't like any explanation, but I like this one better than the one Petdrson offered when he said that we didn't want to give Brady any time to score. That sounds like he was presuming that we would score, recover an onside kick, and then score again, and give Brady enough time to score. I was upset with the defense, I have seen Brady score quickly, and I've seen our defense give up scores quickly, but there's no way that I would've been that distrustful. Three scores and 2 1/2 minutes? I've seen two in four minutes but not three scores in two that I can think of.

I think I would be heartbroken but forgive the Chiefs if that happened. Instead, I have forgiven them because I didn't think we were going to score regardless twice. I know it can happen and won't say that it won't, but expectations? No.

I would've been even more upset if I hadn't already moved on when I heard Pederson's explaination.

Well...I'm just glad that it "didn't really matter to him." You know, screw the clock. As long as he was sure they " were calling the best plays."

It's the difference between qualifying for the playoffs, and going deep into the playoffs.

Andy Reid knew at that time he did not have Maclin, Ware. He knew his offense could not strike quickly. Instead he made sure we got the seven, then took the chance with the on side. With a short field and 3 time outs the offense could have done something vs. scoring quickly, hoping to stop Brady and then getting the ball on maybe our own 20-30 and having to drive the length of the field with out Maclin and Co. and hoping we don't throw a INT.

Andy Reid is not going to come out and say his team cant score quickly and throw his players under the bus. His clock management history has not been the greatest but I also think there are other factors at various times.

All of these so called football experts just don't get it sometimes. I stand by what Reid and the chiefs did. He made sure of the 7 and took his chance. I believe he would have had his as kicked either way by the media.  

If I was to blame anybody it would be the play calling when we had a short field. It would be the FG we kicked instead of TD and Davis fumble. Throw Sutton in there. Everyone knew Brady was going to get the ball out fast...do something about it Sutton. That's the ball game.

I don't get it at all.  In this era of instant recognition and gratification, some people need an immediate reason why the Chiefs lost the game.  Since it appeared to this amateur that the clock could have been managed better,  I guess I could latch on to that as the reason we lost.  Truth is,  we needed TWO scores.  Not one.  Whether or not we had 1 minute left on the clock or 1 minute thirty seconds left on the clock,  whenever we scored we still needed to execute an onsides kick.  The odds of recovering an onsides kick are very very remote.  Had we speeded things up without being set chances are we might have missed the first score altogether.  

The fact that New England was a better football team than the Chiefs seems to have missed some people's analysis.

The Chiefs needed to score on that drive. Yes, it took too long. They did score, and they did have a shot. Looking at the game, Kansas City was still in the game, and they should not have been. New England played much better. They scored more easily. Their defense was more stout. It was a struggle for the Chiefs the entire game. The breaks did not fall toward the Chiefs all game, and in the end, they came up short. 

Injuries to key positions played a huge role in the loss. Charcandrick West was injured with an twisted ankle, but he played anyway. Spencer Ware, who had been playing at a high level, was out for the game. In his place Knile Davis ran the ball. He had not been utilized much, and was not effective when he played. Davis did play better than he had in previous outings, but he also fumbled the ball. This fumble was more than enough to change the fate of the game. Justin Houston tried to go, but could not go. Tamba Hali was gallant, but with only one functional mitt, he was hampered. 

The Chiefs were not getting the calls at the line of scrimmage. For some reason, the officials decided hands to the face, and holding were no longer against the rules. Poe was doubled, and could not get pressure. No one else could get there in time. Brady averaged 2.1 seconds before passing the ball. The only pressure that could get there that quick is from the inside. With Poe held, hands to his face, and doubled, it did not happen. Tamba Hali did get his arm up to block one pass. The pass tumbled off track, but instead of being directed to one of three Chief players in the area, it somehow found a receiver for the Patriots. That misguided missile ended the game as it covered just enough distance to merit a first down.

Luck. The Chiefs had none. The breaks went to New England. When the other team is playing better, they have a turnover advantage, and the breaks go against you... there isn't much chance. Still, had that wobbler landed in the hands of a Chief player, it is not unreasonable to think the game may have been tied. In fact, with the odds going against the Chiefs all game, I would not have put it past coach Reid if he went for it all on a two point conversion, instead of going into overtime. That is what I would have done. I assume Reid would have done the same. 

If you are looking for a reason for the loss, don't look at the one minute loss of time it took to get that final score. Look toward the stars in the sky. It just wasn't their day. 

Clock management didn't lose this game. Not stopping the Pats on the first drive, not getting to Brady, basically the defense not playing like they have all season was more of a factor in the loss than clock management.

Give Brady some credit. He unloaded unbelievably fast. They didn't have any time to get there. We should have not fumbled and picked off the 3 passes he gave us.

Give Brady some credit. He unloaded unbelievably fast. They didn't have any time to get there. We should have not fumbled and picked off the 3 passes he gave us.

When Smith throws those passes, they are "check-downs" that happen to be thrown to the first read. Why does Brady get special credit for throwing quick darts to persistently uncovered receivers?

Clock management didn't lose this game. Not stopping the Pats on the first drive, not getting to Brady, basically the defense not playing like they have all season was more of a factor in the loss than clock management.

I think deferring cost us the game. I still don't get why we keep doing that. I know that you want to score at the end of the half and beginning of the second half, but that seems more like you are assuming to be down. I'd rather get started

When Smith throws those passes, they are "check-downs" that happen to be thrown to the first read. Why does Brady get special credit for throwing quick darts to persistently uncovered receivers?

Because he's Brady and Smith is Smith. ;)

I subscribe to the idea of giving everyone credit for everything, big and small, and the greats will have higher quantity of things to get credit for, big and small.

When Smith throws those passes, they are "check-downs" that happen to be thrown to the first read. Why does Brady get special credit for throwing quick darts to persistently uncovered receivers?

This is not Brady vs. smith. I've conceded smith is better than I gave him credit for.

Brady carved up the defense.

When Smith throws those passes, they are "check-downs" that happen to be thrown to the first read. Why does Brady get special credit for throwing quick darts to persistently uncovered receivers?

This is not Brady vs. smith. I've conceded smith is better than I gave him credit for.

Brady carved up the defense.

I understand that. My point was that when you say, "Give Brady some credit", Brady deserves credit to the extent that he made accurate throws play after play to players that had a step on the Chiefs' secondary in almost every case. The plays that the Kansas City defense won were never followed by plays also won by the Kansas City defense. Because the Chiefs' defenders were almost never in the right place on a given play, Brady's play-by-play decision-making went something like: 'Throw to primary', 'throw to primary', 'throw to primary', 'can't throw to primary but I have all day to throw to the secondary', 'I can't believe how often this defense is giving me these underneath routes to my primaries....'

I've seldom seen a defense credited with being an elite unit constantly give up first downs with such frequency. What the Chiefs allowed defensively was really bad, and would have been even worse if not for some really bad drops by the Patriots' receivers. That being said, Brady should be given credit for something akin to taking candy from a baby. Good for him, as he's paid to take candy from whoever shows up on the field across from him. Normally, though, when people say "Give [X player] some credit," it's understood to mean that the player had to go out and win the game. I'm just not sure that ever really applied in this contest. Brady took what he was given again and again. And again. And then the game was over. And for the rest of the off-season, I get to enjoy waking dreams of Brady throwing dimes to Edelman.

I agree with the contingent that realizes that clock management was not the determining factor in the game.  The Pats had a great offensive game plan that was designed around Brady getting the ball out before the D could get there.  The problem that I had with our D was that we did not make any adjustments.  Not saying that anything else would have worked, but what we were doing was not.  If not for drops, it would have been over the first half.  The killer on the O was that we had to settle for FG's instead of TD's.  There was equal blame to go around for that, from play calling, to AS overthrowing Kelse, to AS locking onto an outside WR and not seeing Kelse wide coming open across the middle, to officials letting the Pats get by with illegal contact.  On the contact, it is pretty bad when the announcers even commented a couple of times that there was blatant illegal contact against Kelse around the endzone. 

Archived