What is Jeff Allen Looking For?

Jeff Allen is scheduled to be a free agent. I do think the Kansas City Chiefs should seriously consider bringing him back but he played so well this year that someone is going to pay him well and the Chiefs have shown over the past three years that they're more likely to let those linemen walk.

Allen joined the podcast of our old pal Geoff Schwartz this week. It's called the Block 'Em Up podcast and you should be listening to it. The co-host, Duke Manyweather, asked Allen what was looking for in free agency this year. (Go to the 10:25 mark in the player above to hear the interview)

"First off I'm looking for a team that's ready to win," Allen said on the podcast "I think Kansas City, we did a good job this year putting together a good season but we didn't finish the way we wanted to. I'm looking for a team that's going to be a Super Bowl contender. A team where I'm gonna be comfortable with the guys in the room. I want one position where I know I'm going to be playing going into the offseason so I can focus on one thing."

Allen was valuable to the Chiefs because he could play guard and tackle (and, heck, even center). I do see his point though about focusing in on one position. It's probably hard to get better at one position when you're playing multiple spots. Someone is going to get a good offensive lineman. Maybe it'll be the Chiefs.

"First off I'm looking for a team that's ready to win," Allen said on the podcast "I think Kansas City, we did a good job this year putting together a good season but we didn't finish the way we wanted to. I'm looking for a team that's going to be a Super Bowl contender. A team where I'm gonna be comfortable with the guys in the room. I want one position where I know I'm going to be playing going into the offseason so I can focus on one thing."

Pretty much everything Jeff Allen said here indicates that he will not be playing in Kansas City next year. He thinks of himself as a starter, and good for him, but he hasn't earned being paid as a starter by the Chiefs at the money he's going to be looking for.

His words could be construed as a shot against the team, although I'm not really sure who it is with whom he might be mad.

Pretty much everything Jeff Allen said here indicates that he will not be playing in Kansas City next year. He thinks of himself as a starter, and good for him, but he hasn't earned being paid as a starter by the Chiefs at the money he's going to be looking for.

His words could be construed as a shot against the team, although I'm not really sure who it is with whom he might be mad.

Its clearly a shot at the Leadership and I agree with him. Oline was the issue and still is. Denver got Mathis and they are in the Superbowl. KC got Crappy Guys. At least three Crappy Guys. Someone else needs to evaluate oline.

Guest Calichief

Yep. Maybe Reid but injuries happen.

Jeff Allen was given a chance to be a "starter" at one position and was a fail for the length of his contract, until this year.  He was offered every opportunity, and then some, and damn near everyone wanted to run him out of town.  This year, at the end of his contract, he became a vialbe piece of the OL and now he sound like he wants to blame someone else for his struggles for some reason.  If we can bring him back, then fine.  If we can't, he is probably replaceable.  JMO

If the Chiefs could sign him for a reasonable amount, then they should bring him back.  Grubbs isn't the answer at LG.  But if Allen is trying to break the bank, there's better options via FA or the draft.  He struggled for several years, couldn't stay healthy, and seems to not have bought in to the team leadership.  

He's good and just coming into his own. It takes a few years for an O-lineman.  I'm sure he could start and become a good, reliable player in this league for some team, and he knows this.  He is also a whiner.  The Chiefs don't need that.  They know what kind of locker room atmosphere is needed for a winning organization.  They like versatile linemen and players who put team above self-interest.  Jeff Allen apparently belongs elsewhere. Let him go.

Archived