Aqib Talib

I think it is Alfred E. Neuman not Newman.  The very sad thing is that so few people know who this is.   My Dad thought that MAD magazine was communist controlled and forbid me to read it.  I used to buy at the drug store and then sneak it into my tree house.  Greatest magazine EVER.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is Alfred E. Neuman not Newman.  The very sad thing is that so few people know who this is.   My Dad thought that MAD magazine was communist controlled and forbid me to read it.  I used to buy at the drug store and then sneak it into my tree house.  Greatest magazine EVER.

Of course, because you are a pinko.  I think you are right about the spelling.   MAD magazine is where all the Don Martin cartoons were from.  I have an entire book of Don Martin cartoons somewhere.  They were my favorite part of the whole magazine.

I think it is Alfred E. Neuman not Newman. The very sad thing is that so few people know who this is. My Dad thought that MAD magazine was communist controlled and forbid me to read it. I used to buy at the drug store and then sneak it into my tree house. Greatest magazine EVER.

I snuck a different magazine to my room when I was a teenager. ????

Most often it was the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, but I had a friend that got the real stuff. My friend either had a dad who got that stuff or he got it some other way. I member my uncles friends got those magazines as a joke or his birthday to see how my aunt would react, I remember I spent some time looking at his presents.

One of my friends overreacts to how bad the smut is. I see how it can become an addiction and how it can change one's brain, and also see how it can be exaggerated. And he's not even religious or scientific. That's just his moral sense.

In referencing Don Martin cartoons two of them come immediately to mind:

1.  Fire in the theatre.  All the patrons jump up from their seats and make a mad dash to the exit.  All but one.  When the authorities arrive they commend the one patron for being cool and calm during the fire panic.   One of the authorities shines a flashlight on the guy only to reveal that he is stuck to his seat covered in old chewing gum.

2.  Rumpelstiltskin.   The prince stands at the bottom of the tower and yells out:  "Fair maiden let down you hair so that I might ascend the golden stair".  Sure enough the princess lets down her hair and the prince begins to climb up the tower hand over hand to await his lovely bride.  When he reaches the top we all discover that it wasn't the hair on her head that she let down but the hair under her armpits.

Why Don Martin could only draw for Mad magazine.

In referencing Don Martin cartoons two of them come immediately to mind:

1.  Fire in the theatre.  All the patrons jump up from their seats and make a mad dash to the exit.  All but one.  When the authorities arrive they commend the one patron for being cool and calm during the fire panic.   One of the authorities shines a flashlight on the guy only to reveal that he is stuck to his seat covered in old chewing gum.

2.  Rumpelstiltskin.   The prince stands at the bottom of the tower and yells out:  "Fair maiden let down you hair so that I might ascend the golden stair".  Sure enough the princess lets down her hair and the prince begins to climb up the tower hand over hand to await his lovely bride.  When he reaches the top we all discover that it wasn't the hair on her head that she let down but the hair under her armpits.

Why Don Martin could only draw for Mad magazine.

#2 was perhaps the best, but a close competitor would be "in A Field of Daisies".  There is an endless field of daisies as far as the eye can see extending to a flat horizon.  In the distance is a single gigantically tall sunflower.  Fester and Carbunkle are in the foreground with their backs facing us and walking toward the tall sunflower leaving a tromped down trail in back of them.  In each frame, they are getting closer and closer to the sunflower.  In the next to last frame, they are at the base of the sunflower, and big stream of water comes out of the top of the sunflower and squirts Carbunkle in the face.  In the last frame, Fester pulls a squeeze bulb out of his pocket and laughs at Carbunkle.

Archived