Chiefs' Derrick Johnson is heading to the Pro Bowl

We learned last week that Andy Reid would be coaching the Pro Bowl and now we learn that there will be one more Chief in the game. The Chiefs announced that LB Derrick Johnson has been named to the 2016 Pro Bowl replacing Luke Kuechly who will represent the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50.

DJ's Pro Bowl nod is clearly well-deserved. He continued in 2015 what he's been doing since 2010 as one of the league's best linebackers. Coming off an Achilles tear in Week 1 of 2014, DJ came back to break the Chiefs tackle record and helped a defense that gave up the third fewest points in the NFL this season.

DJ is now scheduled to be a free agent in March and we wonder what's next. If I'm the GM, I absolutely bring him back given how well he played last year. Plus, it doesn't hurt that he's a Chiefs Ring of Honor candidate one day. Someone suggested a comparable contract of four years, $24 million for him. We'll see what the Chiefs do in the coming months.

DJ will join the Chiefs other Pro Bowlers CB Marcus Peters, S Eric Berry, LB Tamba Hali, LB Justin Houston and TE Travis Kelce. I'm not sure yet if Houston and Hali will be playing considering they were hurt in the Chiefs AFC Divisional round game against the Patriots.

When I saw that Bridgewater was picked as an alternate in the Pro Bowl, I was thinking, "What? Over Bortles, Cousins, and Smith?" Then, I saw Smith declined the spot. Boo. I wanted to have another Chief, even as an alternate. We could have had a two time pro bowl QB. I want All-Pro one day, but take it, Smith!

http://vikingsjournal.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings/teddy-doesnt-deserve-to-be-in-the-pro-bowl-r937

When I saw that Bridgewater was picked as an alternate in the Pro Bowl, I was thinking, "What? Over Bortles, Cousins, and Smith?" Then, I saw Smith declined the spot. Boo. I wanted to have another Chief, even as an alternate. We could have had a two time pro bowl QB. I want All-Pro one day, but take it, Smith!

http://vikingsjournal.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings/teddy-doesnt-deserve-to-be-in-the-pro-bowl-r937

couldn't  really care less. I'm sure Smith being the regular guy he seems to be wants to be home with his youngns doing whatever he does.. I know I certainly would. He's got more than enough $$ to go to Hawaii  and chill with his family. The Pro Bowl is a joke. I know theer are those  that would disagree and most are the players..maybe they get incentives from their team? I dunno  but just seems to be a chance to get hurt  to me

I respect Smith for declining

couldn't really care less. I'm sure Smith being the regular guy he seems to be wants to be home with his youngns doing whatever he does.. I know I certainly would. He's got more than enough $$ to go to Hawaii and chill with his family. The Pro Bowl is a joke. I know theer are those that would disagree and most are the players..maybe they get incentives from their team? I dunno but just seems to be a chance to get hurt to me

I understand. I don't actually care if he goes. I just wanted the Pro Bowl to be attached to his name. Not saying he's a great quarterback, but it irks people from outside when he gets recognition. I sometimes will defend my Chiefs, even when I know he was an alternate.

Smith in an interview the year he went made a comment that he went because it was something he hadn't done before and he liked to see other teammates in KC or SF. I thought that might have just been a random answer, but with him declining, maybe this just isn't his thing and he was saying he did it just to have the experience and now it's been there, done that. Maybe he only wants to go now if he is originally nominated? Maybe always the case but went because he hadn't gone before?

Or maybe he just has a life outside of football or has some prep to do for next season. He has helped scout before.

If one day he were to earn the first nomination and not an alternate, I hope that would mean we were in the SB. That would either mean his production went up or that our team was better or both. If not in the SB, I wouldn't like him to decline if he were first nominated. Again, I don't care for the game itself, I would want him recognized if he were originally nominated. I don't want him to care about recognition, but I, to a relative degree, do care for our players getting some recognition... way after the SB win, of course.

Archived