If Chiefs resign Berry, they could use the franchise tag on Smith

The cap number for the Franchise Tag on a cornerback is going to be well north of $13 million. You can look for projections in this article.

I'm not sure that Sean Smith is a $13 million cornerback. If I had to choose between Sean Smith or Derrick Johnson and Jaye Howard together for the same money, you have to go with the latter two.

With the voiding of Tamba Hali's contract, the Chiefs are estimated to be left with $26 million, and tagging Smith would cut that number in half. There aren't a ton of options for restructure, leaving the Chiefs with about $8 million for free agency while not including the portion of the cap reserved for the Chiefs' 2016 draft selections.

The bottom line: Sean Smith is as good as gone. The Franchise Tag may end up being used on Eric Berry, but that may depend on just what the final cap number is for safeties. The Chiefs may end up having to say "No" to both of these because they said "Yes" to Justin Houston's $100 million-plus contract.

They might be able to restructure Alex Smith's contract. Not saying they should or shouldn't, just that they could.

If we hadn't won the 11 of the last 12 regular/playoff games, I'd say we shouldn't. At this point, if it means saving Berry or Sean Smith, since we improved in play the latter 2/3 of the season, I think it's a consideration.

When I say restructure, I mean anything from pay cut to shifting to 2017 a bit (I don't know if you can make 5 million guaranteed in 2017 where if you cut him he cost 5 but if you keep him he gets his whole year salary). Extension is possible, but it's not usually done this early and if it were, it wouldn't be guaranteed so why would Smith do it if other options weren't also agreeable?

The cap number for the Franchise Tag on a cornerback is going to be well north of $13 million. You can look for projections in this article.

I'm not sure that Sean Smith is a $13 million cornerback. If I had to choose between Sean Smith or Derrick Johnson and Jaye Howard together for the same money, you have to go with the latter two.

With the voiding of Tamba Hali's contract, the Chiefs are estimated to be left with $26 million, and tagging Smith would cut that number in half. There aren't a ton of options for restructure, leaving the Chiefs with about $8 million for free agency while not including the portion of the cap reserved for the Chiefs' 2016 draft selections.

The bottom line: Sean Smith is as good as gone. The Franchise Tag may end up being used on Eric Berry, but that may depend on just what the final cap number is for safeties. The Chiefs may end up having to say "No" to both of these because they said "Yes" to Justin Houston's $100 million-plus contract.

I saw somewhere that the available cap amount would be closer to $33 million

Sean Smith has been a great acquisition for us.  Remember how Manning absolutely shredded Jamell Fleming when Smith had to sit out.   I would not object to paying Berry his money and franchising Sean Smith this year.  I think Jay Howard is gone.

Yep

The two most reliable salary cap sites out there(overthecap and spotrac) show the chiefs at around 36 million available for 2016 if they roll over their 2015 leftover cap space.  That seems to be plenty to get the right deals done if we really want them.  One thing to keep in mind, the chiefs will carry 47 people under contract in 2016 already, meaning that only 5 spaces are available for FA's/Draft Picks.  Eventually, some players are going to be cut, and that will open a bit more space up as well to play with. 

With the way they can move money around in a contract regarding the cap, I think the chiefs can do whatever they want really.  But at the same time, they are going to look to the future and make the best decisions for now as well as later, and letting S. Smith go FA to develop a young guy already under contract (Gaines), draft someone ala Marcus Peters, or find a bargain solid CB in FA could all easily happen...

The two most reliable salary cap sites out there(overthecap and spotrac) show the chiefs at around 36 million available for 2016 if they roll over their 2015 leftover cap space.  That seems to be plenty to get the right deals done if we really want them.  One thing to keep in mind, the chiefs will carry 47 people under contract in 2016 already, meaning that only 5 spaces are available for FA's/Draft Picks.  Eventually, some players are going to be cut, and that will open a bit more space up as well to play with. 

With the way they can move money around in a contract regarding the cap, I think the chiefs can do whatever they want really.  But at the same time, they are going to look to the future and make the best decisions for now as well as later, and letting S. Smith go FA to develop a young guy already under contract (Gaines), draft someone ala Marcus Peters, or find a bargain solid CB in FA could all easily happen...

While these are only estimates, the numbers shown on this page account for money rolled over from 2015. overthecap.com is not showing the $4 million that will hit the books as dead money in 2016 once Tamba Hali's contract voids (I am shaking my head at the silly people that said that 'Hali took a pay cut'). I haven't seen a calculation that suggests the Chiefs have much more than $26 million to work with.

Here's a list of some good players whose deals are coming to an end after 2016: Dontari Poe, Travis Kelce, and Eric Fisher (although the fifth-year option remains if exercised).

For the cost of a Sean Smith you could get almost all of two of the players named above.

I am so out of the loop... Hali's contract voiding, does that presume we cut or trade him? Is that just additional hit from his restructuring earlier? Is he a free agent? Ugh, I usually have a clue, but I have none. I even saw a thread today asking if we should trade him, so I assumed he's fully on board. Are we talking about vesting instead of voiding or something?

I am so out of the loop... Hali's contract voiding, does that presume we cut or trade him? Is that just additional hit from his restructuring earlier? Is he a free agent? Ugh, I usually have a clue, but I have none. I even saw a thread today asking if we should trade him, so I assumed he's fully on board. Are we talking about vesting instead of voiding or something?

Hali's contract was restructured as a five-year contract with a prorated $5 million signing bonus. The final four years automatically void 5 days after Super Bowl 50 concludes, making the $4 million in unpaid signing bonus immediately payable.

Rotoworld and Spotrac indicate this very clearly, whereas overthecap shows Hali as a player signed through 2019 until you look at his individual page, where you can see the note clearly explaining that his contract was structured to kick the can.

I wasn't a fan of it at the beginning of the year, and it seems like a terrible idea in hindsight. Both the Chiefs' front office and the Chiefs' fans are going to have to get used to a little 'disloyalty' (in the form of letting go of players who can't perform up to their free agency dollar value) if this franchise is ever going to be competitive. They paid $9 million to an outside linebacker for 6.5 sacks over 17 games, and you can't make an argument about him making the team around him better because the ridiculously highly-paid Justin Houston got only 7.5 sacks. So there you go: $14 million paid for 14 sacks. Meanwhile, Alex Smith's primary receiver in his final playoff game of 2015 was Albert Wilson.

Hali will go down as one of my favorite Chiefs. No need to bash him and his contract

Like him. I don't hate him.

I also don't feel that it's 'bashing' a player to argue that a franchise is struggling to get traction in the post-season because they are paying players for past performance and are not getting a similar performance today. $9 million was too much to pay for what the Chiefs got from a guy destined to lose snaps to a 2014 first-round draft pick. People are searching for reasons why the Chiefs couldn't get past a Patriots team that only a week later looked terribly vulnerable. There's one of your reasons.

Like him. I don't hate him.

I also don't feel that it's 'bashing' a player to argue that a franchise is struggling to get traction in the post-season because they are paying players for past performance and are not getting a similar performance today. $9 million was too much to pay for what the Chiefs got from a guy destined to lose snaps to a 2014 first-round draft pick. People are searching for reasons why the Chiefs couldn't get past a Patriots team that only a week later looked terribly vulnerable. There's one of your reasons.

normally I'd agree with this but I'm not sure Ford is "destined" for anything but maybe flashes of what he should be  but an overall disappointment. He improved I agree but where is his ceiling?

This is very interesting. The teams that win in the playoffs are the teams that pressure the QB. Almost every game has come down to the team with the pressure won.

Keeping Houstin was smart IMO, but that would depend on this year being a fluke and he returns to form next year. I think they would have cut Hali if Ford was ready. Now I think he is closer to ready, but did a pretty average job with the opportunities he had.

I find it hard to bring Hali back, but I think Ford will have to work to win that spot and I hope some more completion comes in for it.

normally I'd agree with this but I'm not sure Ford is "destined" for anything but maybe flashes of what he should be  but an overall disappointment. He improved I agree but where is his ceiling?

It's not so much that Ford had earned the snaps; being a first-round pick in itself doesn't earn you anything. At the same time, the Chiefs had made the decision to invest a high draft pick in Ford, and the only way they're going to know what his future should be is to play him, and those snaps were going to be taken with Houston on the field and Hali off of it.

I didn't see enough of Ford to know one way or the other whether he will be a suitable replacement for the Hali that used to average 11 sacks a year over a five-year stretch. The fact remains that his salary is so low in comparison with Hali for such similar production that you can't keep Hali. Ford, on the other hand, won't be re-signing with the Chiefs if he feels that he won't be given an opportunity to earn a monster contract extension, so unless they have already decided to pull the plug on the Ford pick, they need to give him Hali's spot on the depth chart.

This off-season the Chiefs need to draft a developmental prospect at outside linebacker that will either rotate in for Houston or Ford, or potentially replace Ford outright. That would save a ton of money. Hali has said that he wants to continue playing, but his body is saying "No".

QB Pressure is the new NFL.  CB & Safeties have their hands tied most of the time.

I think the Chiefs will keep DJ & Tamba at a team friendly rate.  These guys loves KC and both will end up in the Ring Of Honor.....

Howard is going to require money......

Here are the CB Free Agents: 

I think there could be a person or two that could fill in for Smith...

Leon Hall CB 31 CIN TBD $9,600,000 UFA Sean Smith CB 28 KC TBD $7,000,000 UFA Prince Amukamara CB 26 NYG TBD $6,898,000 UFA Greg Toler CB 31 IND TBD $5,833,334 UFA Jerraud Powers CB 28 ARI TBD $5,350,000 UFA Morris Claiborne CB 25 DAL TBD $5,175,069 UFA Alan Ball CB 30 CHI TBD $3,000,000 UFA Nolan Carroll CB 29 PHI TBD $2,900,000 UFA Adam-Pacman Jones CB 32 CIN TBD $2,550,000 UFA Terence Newman CB 37 MIN TBD $2,453,125 UFA Patrick Robinson CB 28 SD TBD $2,000,000 UFA Tarell Brown CB 31 NE TBD $2,000,000 UFA Josh Robinson CB 25 MIN TBD $1,716,250 UFA Trumaine Johnson CB 26 LA TBD $1,709,794 UFA William Gay CB 31 PIT TBD $1,666,668 UFA Coty Sensabaugh CB 27 TEN TBD $1,650,023 UFA Josh Norman CB 28 CAR TBD $1,591,750 UFA Janoris Jenkins CB 27 LA TBD $1,587,829 UFA Trumaine McBride CB 30 NYG TBD $1,550,000 UFA Antonio Allen CB 27 NYJ TBD $1,542,000 UFA Johnson Bademosi CB 25 CLE TBD $1,542,000 UFA Antwon Blake CB 25 PIT TBD $1,542,000 UFA Brandon Boykin CB 25 PIT TBD $1,542,000 UFA Charles Tillman CB 34 CAR TBD $1,531,250 UFA Sterling Moore CB 25 TB TBD $1,525,000 UFA Marcus Sherels CB 28 MIN TBD $1,250,000 UFA Darrin Walls CB 27 NYJ TBD $1,075,000 UFA Casey Hayward CB 26 GB TBD $1,053,154 UFA Mike Jenkins CB 30 TB TBD $825,000 UFA Jayron Hosley CB 25 NYG TBD $796,250 UFA Omar Bolden FS 27 DEN TBD $778,607 UFA Ron Brooks CB 27 BUF TBD $760,135 UFA Jeremy Lane CB 25 SEA TBD $691,279 UFA Sherrick McManis CB 28 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA Kyle Wilson CB 28 NO TBD $665,000 UFA Josh Wilson CB 30 DET TBD $665,000 UFA Jamell Fleming CB 26 KC TBD $660,000 UFA Deshawn Shead FS 27 SEA TBD $660,000 ERFA Shareece Wright CB 28 BAL TBD $635,294 UFA A.J. Bouye CB 24 HOU TBD $586,668 RFA Neiko Thorpe CB 25 OAK TBD $585,000 RFA E.J. Biggers CB 28 PHI TBD $585,000 UFA Darryl Morris CB 25 HOU TBD $585,000 RFA Tracy Porter CB 29 CHI TBD $585,000 UFA Marcus Cooper CB 25 KC TBD $585,000 UFA Will Blackmon

QB Pressure is the new NFL.  CB & Safeties have their hands tied most of the time.

I think the Chiefs will keep DJ & Tamba at a team friendly rate.  These guys loves KC and both will end up in the Ring Of Honor.....

Howard is going to require money......

Here are the CB Free Agents: 

I think there could be a person or two that could fill in for Smith...

Leon Hall CB 31 CIN TBD $9,600,000 UFA Sean Smith CB 28 KC TBD $7,000,000 UFA Prince Amukamara CB 26 NYG TBD $6,898,000 UFA Greg Toler CB 31 IND TBD $5,833,334 UFA Jerraud Powers CB 28 ARI TBD $5,350,000 UFA Morris Claiborne CB 25 DAL TBD $5,175,069 UFA Alan Ball CB 30 CHI TBD $3,000,000 UFA Nolan Carroll CB 29 PHI TBD $2,900,000 UFA Adam-Pacman Jones CB 32 CIN TBD $2,550,000 UFA Terence Newman CB 37 MIN TBD $2,453,125 UFA Patrick Robinson CB 28 SD TBD $2,000,000 UFA Tarell Brown CB 31 NE TBD $2,000,000 UFA Josh Robinson CB 25 MIN TBD $1,716,250 UFA Trumaine Johnson CB 26 LA TBD $1,709,794 UFA William Gay CB 31 PIT TBD $1,666,668 UFA Coty Sensabaugh CB 27 TEN TBD $1,650,023 UFA Josh Norman CB 28 CAR TBD $1,591,750 UFA Janoris Jenkins CB 27 LA TBD $1,587,829 UFA Trumaine McBride CB 30 NYG TBD $1,550,000 UFA Antonio Allen CB 27 NYJ TBD $1,542,000 UFA Johnson Bademosi CB 25 CLE TBD $1,542,000 UFA Antwon Blake CB 25 PIT TBD $1,542,000 UFA Brandon Boykin CB 25 PIT TBD $1,542,000 UFA Charles Tillman CB 34 CAR TBD $1,531,250 UFA Sterling Moore CB 25 TB TBD $1,525,000 UFA Marcus Sherels CB 28 MIN TBD $1,250,000 UFA Darrin Walls CB 27 NYJ TBD $1,075,000 UFA Casey Hayward CB 26 GB TBD $1,053,154 UFA Mike Jenkins CB 30 TB TBD $825,000 UFA Jayron Hosley CB 25 NYG TBD $796,250 UFA Omar Bolden FS 27 DEN TBD $778,607 UFA Ron Brooks CB 27 BUF TBD $760,135 UFA Jeremy Lane CB 25 SEA TBD $691,279 UFA Sherrick McManis CB 28 CHI TBD $665,000 UFA Kyle Wilson CB 28 NO TBD $665,000 UFA Josh Wilson CB 30 DET TBD $665,000 UFA Jamell Fleming CB 26 KC TBD $660,000 UFA Deshawn Shead FS 27 SEA TBD $660,000 ERFA Shareece Wright CB 28 BAL TBD $635,294 UFA A.J. Bouye CB 24 HOU TBD $586,668 RFA Neiko Thorpe CB 25 OAK TBD $585,000 RFA E.J. Biggers CB 28 PHI TBD $585,000 UFA Darryl Morris CB 25 HOU TBD $585,000 RFA Tracy Porter CB 29 CHI TBD $585,000 UFA Marcus Cooper CB 25 KC TBD $585,000 UFA Will Blackmon

I think it will be Gaines. 

Smith needs to be gone. I would argue his suspension cost KC a win against DEnver. Yes I know lots of other things lost that game. Those were not a result of an intentional selfish decision that hurt the team. Gaines or maybe Nelsen are the next CB. 

Archived