Should Tamba Hali be Signed?

Absolutely. Not sure what the current numbers say, but I think he is well worth 2-3 million next year. He will cost more than that, but cutting him is 4 million I read on here. It makes it a hard decision.

The $4 million was signing bonus and is already paid. There's no getting that back. Tamba Hali won't play for $4 million after he played for $9 million.

It's a business.  The Chiefs can't sign every player who has contributed in the past to a max dollar contract.  Better to spend the money on players who are at or approaching their peaks than on popular players for historic performance.  If Hali will sign for a low amount, then he should be here.  If he can get pro bowl level money from another team, then let him go.  That simple.  Berry should be a priority.  DJ as well but not so much.  If the Chiefs are to be a consistent winner, they have to turn over their star players.  NE let Welker go.  Indy did the same with Manning.  Hanging on to older player too long kills a franchise.

I know, but what I am saying is it all comes due this year if you cut him.

I'm afraid you're not understanding: Hali is not being cut. His contract voids automatically in 13 days. The $4 million that is prorated over the "five years" was paid this past March. That money is going to count this next year no matter what the Chiefs do. The Chiefs can't save money or recover money by signing a player in his twilight years to a new contract. Tamba Hali has all of the leverage, and at that point you just have to let the player go.

Tamba Hali at 2 million before the void deadline I'm okay with, since he'd count for 3 million this year and next against the cap. Anything more than that, you might as well eat the $4 million from his contract voiding and move on. He's slowing down with diminishing returns. He maxed out at 6 sacks each of the last two seasons and I can't fathom him getting more than 5 or 6 if he started another full season.

Because the Chiefs restructured things, Hali will cost the Chiefs $3 M if they cut him or if he retires. I believe they will restructure and extend him. He has at least one more season left.

Hali, Johnson, and Berry will be resigned. Charles will have his deal restructured. S. Smith will not be signed. Alex Smith will have some of his money paid out differently, and that will have the affect of lowering his Cap. 

The Chiefs will need about $3.5 M to sign free agents and draft picks. They'll save some money by making a few cuts. 

The Chiefs have depth. They need some quality starters. 

Because the Chiefs restructured things, Hali will cost the Chiefs $3 M if they cut him or if he retires. I believe they will restructure and extend him. He has at least one more season left.

Hali, Johnson, and Berry will be resigned. Charles will have his deal restructured. S. Smith will not be signed. Alex Smith will have some of his money paid out differently, and that will have the affect of lowering his Cap. 

The Chiefs will need about $3.5 M to sign free agents and draft picks. They'll save some money by making a few cuts. 

The Chiefs have depth. They need some quality starters. 

1. The Chiefs cannot "cut" Hali. I'm not sure the concept of "void years" is well understood here. They are base-less years to spread out a signing bonus, that is all. The "contract" automatically voids 5 days after the Super Bowl and the prorated bonus accelerates OR the Chiefs re-sign Hali avoiding the void from occurring this season. At this point, Tamba is a free agent, and can walk away from the Chiefs if he so chooses, and that void will take place whether the Chiefs want it to or not.

2. Restructuring Charles would be very beneficial for the Chiefs if they need to squeeze someone in.

3. $5,501,463 is the Chiefs rookie Pool Estimate, which I've been overstating at $7 million (used to the Chiefs picking high I presume). The true cap figure will be closer to $5,501,463 - (8*450,000) = $5,501,463 - $3,600,000 = $1,901,463.  I usually reserve that 3.2-3.6 million because the Chiefs generally leave themselves that amount of space between the cap for in-season transactions that come about. If you are considering "free agents" as the ERFAs that should count at 2.4 milion, then your figure of 3.5 million isn't that far off (4.3-ish million). Signing "free agents" off of the market for $3.5 million probably will get you a player or maybe 2 lower tier. 

4. I absolutely agree about starters. It's time to start filling in the positions that are lacking talent on the roster with high round picks or quality free agents.

Archived