Travis Kelce Signs Five-Year Extension

Story: "The Kansas City Chiefs announced that Travis Kelce signed a contract extension and now we have the details. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it's a five-year, $46 million extension, which makes him the second highest paid tight end in the NFL behind Rob Gronkowski."

"Baby Gronk" just got paid like Gronk, Sr. Now it's time for Baby Gronk to play big.

I like the signing, but that's a ton of money out of the salary cap.

i saw ertz and another TE get paid recently and figured that Kelce may be next...good to see the chiefs step up

I hope he gets a handle on his fumbling issues and learns how to beat high-end safeties and linebackers. He came up big in the game against the Texans, but against the Patriots, not so much.

I think we need a good rated #2 receiver, but that should improve with development. That'll make the 10th highest paid receiver open for deeper catches or more YAC. It'll also help us for times when Maclin is off the field.

We would have to run less, block better, catch better, hold onto the ball better, throw the ball better, throw it deeper, and all that. But I do think this offense will be better next year. Defense, I don't know, it could go either way. Like the Patriots game and Chicago last drives or like the Houston blowouts.

I hope he gets a handle on his fumbling issues and learns how to beat high-end safeties and linebackers. He came up big in the game against the Texans, but against the Patriots, not so much.

Duble teamed. Sometimes triple teamed. But yes that is a lot of money. With that kind ofmoney he better be the next Tony Gonzales

I like this sighing also, they got it done early and if he blows up and gets even better it may be a good deal. From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure he will ever be as good as Tony G, but I have a built in bias.

But the Chiefs were 12-6 on the season, and got knocked out of the playoffs because of poor defensive play. Go figure.

Proved my point. Thanks. If defense plays bad, and they did, offense can't pick up the slack and win it. This was a concern of mine all year. Kelce had 6 catches for 23 yds vs the Patriots. That's 3.8 ypc. We only averaged 4.8 ypc in the game. We had the ball for 37:51 to 22:09. That's an entire quarter more and scored 7 points less. Including that impressive 5:16 drive to run out some clock and preserve the win for the Patriots. So yes when the defense plays bad, we lose. When the offense plays bad, we can win. The offense won't lose many but they won't win many either.

Sincerely,

Broken Record

He needs to get better at blocking, but I remember Gonzo not being a great blocker early in his career. He was a very good blocker in the second half of his career. I think he will get better with the fumbling as well.

The future is very bright for him. I love the Kelce/Harris combo.

Proved my point. Thanks. If defense plays bad, and they did, offense can't pick up the slack and win it. This was a concern of mine all year. Kelce had 6 catches for 23 yds vs the Patriots. That's 3.8 ypc. We only averaged 4.8 ypc in the game. We had the ball for 37:51 to 22:09. That's an entire quarter more and scored 7 points less. Including that impressive 5:16 drive to run out some clock and preserve the win for the Patriots. So yes when the defense plays bad, we lose. When the offense plays bad, we can win. The offense won't lose many but they won't win many either.

Sincerely,

Broken Record

If proving that an underfunded offensive squad outplayed the bounteously blessed defensive squad proved your point, so be it. The offense was highly productive given all of the elements missing in that final playoff game: WR1, HB1, HB2, HB3, LG1, C1, RG1. The WR2 was inferior to some teams' WR4's. Imagine Chase Daniel trying to move that offense.

If proving that an underfunded offensive squad outplayed the bounteously blessed defensive squad proved your point, so be it. The offense was highly productive given all of the elements missing in that final playoff game: WR1, HB1, HB2, HB3, LG1, C1, RG1. The WR2 was inferior to some teams' WR4's. Imagine Chase Daniel trying to move that offense.

Excuses. The easy way out.

Bah. I put blame on both, but we're talking relatively and legitimate factors. I wish we were better on both sides but we weren't. Some of it was injury, some of it was coaching, some of it was execution, some of it was strategy like deferring, and some of it was home field or unlucky bounces. We weren't better after all that. I wanted to win and thought we *could* have beaten the Broncos, but I'd rather lose to the Patriots than Denver. I'm still not sure if I'd rather lose a blowout in the SB or closure the way it was. (A close or competitive SB is better no doubt, despite my heart.)

Yeah, my reasons are your "excuses", and your reasons are my "oversimplifications". We don't agree on just about anything football related, which is understandable given football's complexities. The things I esteem are things you dismiss, and the things you gush over are things I deem trivial. There is a reason why in one year Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, and in another year Peyton Manning or Tom Brady can win a Super Bowl. This year's Super Bowl favorite is a team with a quarterback whose greatest individual asset is his size and foot speed, and to a lesser degree his ability to play from the pocket, and for some crazy reason the pundits are declaring him to be the next Aaron Rodgers. Football evaluation is about the assignment of praise and blame, as there are always plenty of both to go around.

During the past 32 games spanning the 2013-2015 NFL post-seasons, only eight games were won by a team that allowed the opponent more than 20 points. The Patriots won three such games. Those Patriots teams also lost two games in which opponents held them to 16 and 18 points (so let's not pretend that having a future Hall of Fame Quarterback is a fix-all for everything that might be wrong with a team). In one of those games, the Patriots were significantly out-possessed by the Broncos, while in the other, the Patriots had a superficial time-of-possession advantage over the Broncos. That said, there are only two games during that span in which a team was out-possessed by their opponent by more than 40% and lost. Both games were lost by the same defense. You know who that defense is. On average, the winning team has allowed 17.4 points to their opponents. Teams win in the playoffs because they play quality defense.

The fact is that you are on record for trying to sugar-coat a historically poor defensive performance, while trying to put the blame on the offensive unit that was hamstrung by injuries. If that's how you assign praise and blame, very few will rally behind you because the premise is suggested by history to be false: It is in fact the Chiefs offense that has consistently played well enough to win in the post-season, but in two-out-of-three post-season games the defense didn't shoulder its load.

You don't have to play the broken record again. I offered a fresh perspective. You could try doing the same. Take your time. Find the pattern. Then tell the world why you are right and I am an idiot. Or...

...just let this stand, obtain closure for this season, enjoy Royals baseball for a few months, and then get ready for the Chiefs' 2016 season.

Yeah, my reasons are your "excuses", and your reasons are my "oversimplifications". We don't agree on just about anything football related, which is understandable given football's complexities. The things I esteem are things you dismiss, and the things you gush over are things I deem trivial. There is a reason why in one year Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, and in another year Peyton Manning or Tom Brady can win a Super Bowl. This year's Super Bowl favorite is a team with a quarterback whose greatest individual asset is his size and foot speed, and to a lesser degree his ability to play from the pocket, and for some crazy reason the pundits are declaring him to be the next Aaron Rodgers. Football evaluation is about the assignment of praise and blame, as there are always plenty of both to go around.

During the past 32 games spanning the 2013-2015 NFL post-seasons, only eight games were won by a team that allowed the opponent more than 20 points. The Patriots won three such games. Those Patriots teams also lost two games in which opponents held them to 16 and 18 points (so let's not pretend that having a future Hall of Fame Quarterback is a fix-all for everything that might be wrong with a team). In one of those games, the Patriots were significantly out-possessed by the Broncos, while in the other, the Patriots had a superficial time-of-possession advantage over the Broncos. That said, there are only two games during that span in which a team was out-possessed by their opponent by more than 40% and lost. Both games were lost by the same defense. You know who that defense is. On average, the winning team has allowed 17.4 points to their opponents. Teams win in the playoffs because they play quality defense.

The fact is that you are on record for trying to sugar-coat a historically poor defensive performance, while trying to put the blame on the offensive unit that was hamstrung by injuries. If that's how you assign praise and blame, very few will rally behind you because the premise is suggested by history to be false: It is in fact the Chiefs offense that has consistently played well enough to win in the post-season, but in two-out-of-three post-season games the defense didn't shoulder its load.

You don't have to play the broken record again. I offered a fresh perspective. You could try doing the same. Take your time. Find the pattern. Then tell the world why you are right and I am an idiot. Or...

...just let this stand, obtain closure for this season, enjoy Royals baseball for a few months, and then get ready for the Chiefs' 2016 season.

Nice book. I'm a D-Backs fan

I like the signing, but that's a ton of money out of the salary cap.

May as well get used to this, fact is we have to pay to keep some of the core intact (Berry, Kelce) or (Abdullah, Kelce) we just have to hope that Dorsey and the FO can work contracts to allow the chiefs to pursue some decent FA's to replace the older pieces (Hali, Avant) and some who have never produced to keep (Hammond)

Yeah....Maclin is 10th highest paid WR...lets break him down:

Yards - 15th

Receptions - 11th

TDs - 16th

Drops - 1 drop in regular season

I imagine each of those would have been slightly higher had he not missed a game this year:

Kelce:

Yards - 5th 

Receptions - 9th

TDs - 12th

YAC - 2nd

Hmmm....so yeah....nobody was all world beater here, but collectively when looking at everything Maclin is being paid exactly what he deserves, and truth be told, there will probably be 5 TEs making more than Kelce within a year, so he is most likely getting exactly what he deserves

The difference?  These other QBs have stud QBs throwing to them.  The 30th ranked Pass offense is attributed to Alex & Co, not to Maclin and Kelce.  That's exactly what made Tony Gonzalez so great, not just the fact that he accomplished what he did, but the fact that he broke all those records with TERRIBLE QBs.  Last Time I checked a pass offense is ranked off of 3 WRs, 2 TEs, a FB, and a RB or two depending on the formation.  But hey....lets blame the two highest paid guys for the fact that nobody else stepped up and they had to carry the load...

Yards - 15th

Receptions - 11th

TDs - 16th

I imagine each of those would have been slightly higher had he not missed a game this year:

Kelce:

Yards - 5th

Receptions - 9th

TDs - 12th

YAC - 2nd

Hmmm....so yeah....nobody was all world beater here, but collectively when looking at everything Maclin is being paid exactly what he deserves, and truth be told, there will probably be 5 TEs making more than Kelce within a year, so he is most likely getting exactly what he deserves

The difference? These other QBs have stud QBs throwing to them. The 30th ranked Pass offense is attributed to Alex & Co, not to Maclin and Kelce. That's exactly what made Tony Gonzalez so great, not just the fact that he accomplished what he did, but the fact that he broke all those records with TERRIBLE QBs. Last Time I checked a pass offense is ranked off of 3 WRs, 2 TEs, a FB, and a RB or two depending on the formation. But hey....lets blame the two highest paid guys for the fact that nobody else stepped up and they had to carry the load...

It's all justin houstons fault.

Yards - 15th

Receptions - 11th

TDs - 16th

Kelce:

Yards - 5th

Receptions - 9th

TDs - 12th

YAC - 2nd

The difference? These other QBs have stud QBs throwing to them. The 30th ranked Pass offense is attributed to Alex & Co, not to Maclin and Kelce. That's exactly what made Tony Gonzalez so great, not just the fact that he accomplished what he did, but the fact that he broke all those records with TERRIBLE QBs. Last Time I checked a pass offense is ranked off of 3 WRs, 2 TEs, a FB, and a RB or two depending on the formation. But hey....lets blame the two highest paid guys for the fact that nobody else stepped up and they had to carry the load...

Nice post. I think Mac and Kelce are well worth the money.

Archived