Travis Kelce Signs Five-Year Extension

I posted this at the Planet and forgot to post it here. This is the approximate breakdown of Kelce's contract based on what I've heard.

The roster bonuses are per game injury incentives. Since this is an extension the only things that happen this season are that Kelce's base salary becomes fully guaranteed and the first year of bonus prorating is added.

travis_kelce_extension_zpscnxos2sg.png

Yeah....Maclin is 10th highest paid WR...lets break him down:

Yards - 15th

Receptions - 11th

TDs - 16th

Drops - 1 drop in regular season

I imagine each of those would have been slightly higher had he not missed a game this year:

Kelce:

Yards - 5th

Receptions - 9th

TDs - 12th

YAC - 2nd

Hmmm....so yeah....nobody was all world beater here, but collectively when looking at everything Maclin is being paid exactly what he deserves, and truth be told, there will probably be 5 TEs making more than Kelce within a year, so he is most likely getting exactly what he deserves

The difference? These other QBs have stud QBs throwing to them. The 30th ranked Pass offense is attributed to Alex & Co, not to Maclin and Kelce. That's exactly what made Tony Gonzalez so great, not just the fact that he accomplished what he did, but the fact that he broke all those records with TERRIBLE QBs. Last Time I checked a pass offense is ranked off of 3 WRs, 2 TEs, a FB, and a RB or two depending on the formation. But hey....lets blame the two highest paid guys for the fact that nobody else stepped up and they had to carry the load...

Ehh, we weren't 30th in scoring, 30th in third down conversions, 30th in red zone conversions, 30th in YPA, or 30th in completion percentage, etc., so I really don't care about whatever metric that is being used to repeatedly refer to us as 30th ranked. Yards are overrated anyway. We had leads we nursed which made us one dimensional in second halfs, predictable, and dropped our precious yards.

I want deeper averages, better conversion rates, more points, etc. but damn these stupid stats that track only stupid stuff that does not adequately account for the game that is played. It doesn't even reflect successful trends regarding winning.

Note that none of what I said praised Smith or our offense.

Archived