Chiefs have kept open communication with Howar

The Houston game didn't matter?

Did the punting matter in a game where the team put up 30 points? Are you going to suggest that punting inside the 20 three times set the tone for the game?

If the Chiefs could have had $3 million worth of pass protection in that game, they might have topped 40 points.

I'm not saying punting doesn't matter. If anyone on this site takes a whole team view it is I. What I am arguing is that the value to be found in Colquitt's replacement is sufficient to justify his replacement. If Colquitt wants to be an All-Pro in Kansas City, he is invited to do it for less money.

One more thing: Is it merely Colquitt that is pinning defenses deep in their territory, or is it Smith's offense consistently making it to midfield that makes the pinning possible?

In league-wide dump-and-redraft, when would you ever take a punter in a round any earlier than 46th? If a punter is the 46th most important player on game day, why should he be paid like he's one of the ten most important players? No team in the league pays as much for its punter as the Chiefs do. Only ten teams in the league pay their punter more than $2.5 million per year, and of those teams only two had winning records. Maybe they won in spite of having so many resources funneled off to special teams units.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stats surprise me about Colquitt.  The way he punts is different than most.  He can try to kick it closer to the goal line, because most of the time, he puts a spin on it that makes it bounce back.  But that does put him at risk of more touchbacks when that happens.  He is all about direction and bounce, not distance. He is a finesse punter.  The only way to evaluate him is to look at eventual field position cumulatively.  Still, the money does count at some point.  Overpaying is never a good idea.  

I like to BS, but I shouldn't presume to out think Dorsey.  Few really should.  Nothing better to do in February.

So what is the dollar value you'd put on Dustin Colquitt, the number where you say that the number justifies his roster spot relative to a typical rookie replacement at a typical rookie salary?

I have him at under $2 million. Maybe $1.8 million. That's significantly less than market value.

I'd pay up to the average salary per roster spot (about 2.8 million) for a top-tier punter as an average per year, but anything beyond that is completely ridiculous to me. Basically, see Kevin Huber's (CIN) contract. However, I'd rather keep it in the range of 1.8-2.3 million for a good punter. I don't think you have to have the best, but having a decent one is a good thing.

So what is the dollar value you'd put on Dustin Colquitt, the number where you say that the number justifies his roster spot relative to a typical rookie replacement at a typical rookie salary?

I have him at under $2 million. Maybe $1.8 million. That's significantly less than market value.

I'm with you on this. 1.5-2mil

This coaching staff's philosophy is to get a lead and then protect it.  They never go for the throat.  It's why they always went vanilla in the second half.  The game plan is to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win.  We all agreed on that this year.  And, it worked well until we ran into a coach who could exploit it.

Colquitt was imperative to executing that game plan.  I don't give a shit what you say. 

If that is the plan you want to implement, then you better pay a damn good punter a damn good wage.

Overpaying isn't the issue.  Coaching is.  Give Belichick this roster, and he wouldn't lose a game.  And, yes, that is with Alex Smith running the show.

This coaching staff's philosophy is to get a lead and then protect it. They never go for the throat. It's why they always went vanilla in the second half. The game plan is to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win. We all agreed on that this year. And, it worked well until we ran into a coach who could exploit it.

Colquitt was imperative to executing that game plan. I don't give a shit what you say.

If that is the plan you want to implement, then you better pay a damn good punter a damn good wage.

Overpaying isn't the issue. Coaching is. Give Belichick this roster, and he wouldn't lose a game. And, yes, that is with Alex Smith running the show.

I agree with this. Coaching was extremely subpar this year. Now, Andy obviously is a good motivator and he sees talent. I'm not convinced he knows how to use.

Another thing to note- he never has great coaches. No one in his tree is good. He has crap coordinators constantly.

Guest Okiechief1

Overpaying isn't the issue. Coaching is. Give Belichick this roster, and he wouldn't lose a game. And, yes, that is with Alex Smith running the show.

Won't argue that BB is a better coach than Andy but he doesn't make this an undefeated team either.

This coaching staff's philosophy is to get a lead and then protect it.  They never go for the throat.  It's why they always went vanilla in the second half.  The game plan is to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win.  We all agreed on that this year.  And, it worked well until we ran into a coach who could exploit it.

Colquitt was imperative to executing that game plan.  I don't give a shit what you say. 

Overpaying isn't the issue.  Coaching is.  Give Belichick this roster, and he wouldn't lose a game.  And, yes, that is with Alex Smith running the show.

I thought it was Sean Smith's suspension, Jamaal Charles' fumbles, and the offensive line not showing up for the first half of the season that kept the Chiefs from going 19-0.

There's way to much blame that goes to Andy Reid.

I thought it was Sean Smith's suspension, Jamaal Charles' fumbles, and the offensive line not showing up for the first half of the season that kept the Chiefs from going 19-0.

There's way to much blame that goes to Andy Reid.

Exactly.  Blamers and finger pointers and analysts.   Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Archived