Offseason Plan 5.0 - UPDATED

I updated the OP. Added two signings, Nolan Carroll (CB, Philadelphia) and Sean Weatherspoon (ILB, Arizona) to use cap space I wasn't properly reflecting earlier and add talent back to the team. I'm going to continue to keep Correa as a 3rd rounder until I see something more from scouting sites going forward (reportedly received a 2nd round grade from the Advisory Board). I'll adjust that pick going forward, if necessary.

My cap breakdown and signings contract breakdown are included as attachments.

2016 Chiefs Cap.pdf

2016 Chiefs Signings.pdf

weatherspoon with DJ? ..thats insane..in a good way

If he returns to his pre-injury form, you're damn right it is. I think he'll come at a good price too. Kind of a low-risk, high-reward possibility there.

I agree with Wests comment that Ford needs to start playing like a 1st round pick.  I always look for the positive, and I thought that in the SD game he showed why he was considered a 1st round talent.  One reason that I think he is developing, and will only get better, is that he was drafted as on OLB and I believe that he had always played as a hand on the ground DE.  He has gotten better in pass defense, and he has shown the ability to either get to the QB or get pressure on the QB.  With another offseason, and another year to get functionally stronger, my gut feeling is that he is going to come in and become the bookend that we need opposite of Houston.  Plus, he should be getting more adept at naturally just playing the position instead of having to think before he reacts.  JMO

I agree as well Chiefmania. I think its important KC spend a mid-rounder to keep the depth at the position sufficient. You gotta have that 3rd pass rusher that can step in and make plays when your starters need a breather. I like Zombo for alot of reasons, but he's not a guy that can consistently give you that in my opinion.

I agree as well Chiefmania. I think its important KC spend a mid-rounder to keep the depth at the position sufficient. You gotta have that 3rd pass rusher that can step in and make plays when your starters need a breather. I like Zombo for alot of reasons, but he's not a guy that can consistently give you that in my opinion.

zombo got more pressure on a regular basis than Ford did

Hey crow, does that backup qb roster not scare the shit out of you in a year that KC has SB aspirations? Cause it does me.

Love the FA's. Won't get too worked up over the draft this early in the process.

Didn't you hear that Johnny Football is coming here?

Scarier.

Hey crow, does that backup qb roster not scare the shit out of you in a year that KC has SB aspirations? Cause it does me.

Love the FA's. Won't get too worked up over the draft this early in the process.

Unless the Chiefs can draft a "legitimate" QBOTF very early on, it is what it is. Most teams have a hard enough time finding a competent starter more or less find a good backup. I'd never pin much of any hope on a backup carrying a team to very many, if any, victories regardless of the situation. So, no it doesn't really bother me because I'd expect very little if Alex were to be injured. I didn't feel that much more comfortable with Daniel as the backup. 

Quinton Coples was released by the Dolphins, he played for the Jets and Bob Sutton, bring him in for a look?

I think you have to gauge whether he feels comfortable playing 3-4 DE or if he'd rather try to find a 4-3 team as a suitor. He was grossly misused in duties as 3-4 OLB, he just doesn't fit that position. If he's "okay" returning to the 3-4 DE position on a permanent basis, then I"d take a hard look at him. Obviously his contract demands as a former 1st round pick will have to be taken into account.

Geoff Schwartz was just released by the Giants. With the Chiefs' offensive line lacking a swing tackle or guard to back up Eric Fisher, Ben Grubbs, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Jah Reid, I would much rather see the Chiefs give Schwartz short-term money and the opportunity to compete for a starting job than to see them throw a lot of money at Jeff Allen.

This might have been the break the Chiefs needed as they head into free agency with needs across the board.

I would take him back at a cheap price. He played pretty solid for us. This may be why they let him walk. He wasn't going to be worth the money.

In hindsight, I do wish the Chiefs had managed to keep Geoff Schwartz in 2014, but they had too much cap room tied up in Dwayne Bowe, and I'm not sure where the Chiefs could have cut out $3.5 million from their salary cap. They were held together with duct tape and baling wire in that season.

In hindsight, I do wish the Chiefs had managed to keep Geoff Schwartz in 2014, but they had too much cap room tied up in Dwayne Bowe, and I'm not sure where the Chiefs could have cut out $3.5 million from their salary cap. They were held together with duct tape and baling wire in that season.

I like Schwartz. He's a great guy. He hasn't played much football recently. Lots of injuries. 

Archived