Chiefs Pick ___________ At #1

Or Mallet

Correct, well sort of. I am a fan of Paxton Lynch. However, if he goes to the wrong team, he may be forced into playing before he is ready, and that would be a disaster. Lynch does not resemble Mallet in one key area (CHARACTER). Mallet has serious character issues. Lynch has never been known to have any of these issues. 

Lynch really does not remind me of Roethlisberger. He is taller, and lighter than Ben. Paxton weighs 225 lbs. He will probably gain 10 - 15 lbs during his career in the NFL. He is a more fluid runner. Joe Flacco comes to mind, but that doesn't quite fit either. Lynch is not a heavy as either Flacco or Roethlisberger, but he is more athletic. If you look at the arm strength, it is comparable to those two. 

There is a group of three quarterbacks who could go first among quarterbacks in the draft. Goff, Wentz, and Lynch are the top three, and right now there is an argument as to which order. You can make an argument for either of them in any order. Hackenberg is probably a second round pick, but he could also be thrown into the mix. Cleveland, San Fran, Philly, and LA  (Rams) could be taking a QB in the first fifteen picks of the first round, Houston also has a desperate need. Chicago, Denver, perhaps Washington (Cousins is due for a contract), NY Jets, NO (Brees is getting old), and Buffalo (if you don't believe in Tyrod) all have potential needs for a QB. Manning will likely not be playing in Denver, and Osweiler is a free agent (look for Cleveland to go after him). Once again demand for quarterbacks exceeds the supply. That means trades to move up are more likely this year. 

Trading down could be the best choice for the Chiefs.  Of course, that depends on how things shake out earlier in the first round and FA, but if the top CBs are gone, the Chiefs might be better off with a second round OG or WR plus another second day pick for an ILB or CB.  It's just too early to project who might be available at #28.

If the team needs an oline, I will most often so, go oline as early as reasonable, because it will either help the guy that is there (Smith) or the next guy (Murray, Bray, draftee, etc.) or in the case of a team with a young questionable QB, drafting oline gives that QB time to develop good habits and the team to evaluate a QB that has not too bad of a line to know if he's the guy.

The fun could start soon. Cleveland is rumored to be interested in Brock Osweiler. If they throw enough money at him, the Broncos will have to move up in order to get a QB. Considering the Broncos will draft 31st, they may not have enough to trade up for one of the top guys in the draft. That would put Denver in the hunt to sign a free agent. How would you feel about Chase Daniel wearing orange next year?

No! Chase will likely be an above average starter. Maybe more. I would hate to see us dump a backup to a division rival and then watch him start in a Super Bowl. Once was enough.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that I don't want him to go there because then I couldn't even root for his own success. I don't think I will root for him, but I don't want to root against him unless we are playing his team.

Archived