Super Bowl Game Day Thread - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers

6:00 mintute mark of the Super Bowl. Down by 6. That's weak. The truth is he had been beaten up more than he ever imagined and didn't want any more. I think the loss will make him better than a win would. Not sure if his confidence is damaged or if he turns around to be Superman again. It will be interesting.

He wasn't Superman in the first place. If the NFC South hadn't been awful throughout the last three seasons, the Panthers wouldn't continue to win that division with a team built entirely around its defense.

The Chiefs get to play the Panthers in Carolina next year. That could be a very, very good game.

One more thing: Cam Newton's not the most important player on that team, but he's going to count $19.5 million against the cap next year. Aren't you glad the Chiefs have Alex Smith? He can do most of what Cam Newton does, but do it better, more consistently, and with more class.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn't Superman in the first place. If the NFC South hadn't been awful throughout the last three seasons, the Panthers wouldn't continue to win that division with a team built entirely around its defense.

The Chiefs get to play the Panthers in Carolina next year. That could be a very, very good game.

One more thing: Cam Newton's not the most important player on that team, but he's going to count $19.5 million against the cap next year. Aren't you glad the Chiefs have Alex Smith? He can do most of what Cam Newton does, but do it better, more consistently, and with more class.

In all fairness they did beat two really good teams in Seattle and Az.

In all fairness they did beat two really good teams in Seattle and Az.

Do they win either of those games if their opponents don't provide at least two giveaways in the first half? Those teams failed to protect the ball, and they lost as a direct result of that failure. When the Panthers played an offense that was better at protecting the ball than they were, the results were entirely opposite of what they had previously enjoyed.

Neither Seattle nor Arizona played to the standard they had set during the regular season. Both Wilson and Palmer had what might have been their worst games, not only of the season, but over the past several years. Part of that could be attributed to the Panthers' defense, but both of those teams had played much better against other good defenses.

Do they win either of those games if their opponents don't provide at least two giveaways in the first half? Those teams failed to protect the ball, and they lost as a direct result of that failure. When the Panthers played an offense that was better at protecting the ball than they were, the results were entirely opposite of what they had previously enjoyed.

Neither Seattle nor Arizona played to the standard they had set during the regular season. Both Wilson and Palmer had what might have been their worst games, not only of the season, but over the past several years. Part of that could be attributed to the Panthers' defense, but both of those teams had played much better against other good defenses.

In a perfect world, I think Arizona was the best team in the NFC. But that's not how it works in sports. Horse shoes hand grenades. How many games do the Chiefs win without all the takeaways? I'm not defending the panthers but they beat the best the NFC had to offer at the time under the circumstances. As you say, it's TEAM GAME. The panthers defense helped for sure.

Honestly, Manning was so limited this season physically, literally a shell of his former self in arm strength, that I thought Brock Osweiler was the better option...  But I was really happy to see Peyton go out on top, he literally carried the Colts and Broncos for years on his back, and to see him get carried by a superior team when he needed it, that was cool, felt deserving. 

He will retire and the Broncos may struggle to return to this form, but Peyton literally could not write a better ending to his career than this.

Now he is stuck with all that bad pizza.

Honestly, Manning was so limited this season physically, literally a shell of his former self in arm strength, that I thought Brock Osweiler was the better option...  But I was really happy to see Peyton go out on top, he literally carried the Colts and Broncos for years on his back, and to see him get carried by a superior team when he needed it, that was cool, felt deserving. 

He will retire and the Broncos may struggle to return to this form, but Peyton literally could not write a better ending to his career than this.

Begrudgingly...:thumbs up:  Its true.  It's like some preposterously maudlin football movie.  

As long as it stops at anointing his ass with oil, I'm fine with it.

Take aways are a product of defense. You can't take them out of the equation. If you erase the strip and recovery for a touchdown by Denver, Panthers win that game. Just saying.

Take aways are a product of defense. You can't take them out of the equation. If you erase the strip and recovery for a touchdown by Denver, Panthers win that game. Just saying.

I agree that the result could have been different. I believe that it was the fact that the turnovers happened so early in all of the Panthers' games that they actually defined the games, down to the game flow itself. Good defenses force turnovers, and bad ones don't, so I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just feel that the Panthers won games against two teams that beat themselves with bad, avoidable mistakes early, and then in the Super Bowl did to themselves what their previous opponents had been doing to themselves.

There's a lot more to being a good defense than forcing turnovers. You can have an excellent defensive performance that produces no turnovers. If Cam Newton could have pulled off an Alex Smith impression in the Super Bowl, his team would have won. Instead, he didn't do the very, very important little things.

I agree that the result could have been different. I believe that it was the fact that the turnovers happened so early in all of the Panthers' games that they actually defined the games, down to the game flow itself. Good defenses force turnovers, and bad ones don't, so I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just feel that the Panthers won games against two teams that beat themselves with bad, avoidable mistakes early, and then in the Super Bowl did to themselves what their previous opponents had been doing to themselves.

There's a lot more to being a good defense than forcing turnovers. You can have an excellent defensive performance that produces no turnovers. If Cam Newton could have pulled off an Alex Smith impression in the Super Bowl, his team would have won. Instead, he didn't do the very, very important little things.

I agree. I was torn as to whether it was the Denver D or the Panthers O. I think both. Cam had oportunities and could not make the throws. Manning did. Both Ds played well. I enjoyed it.

Just saying sometimes good D play by both sides looks like bad football. Looks like inept offensive play.

Manning had a bad pick, and all that was left of his was his football mind. In the end, he executed well enough to keep the Broncos afloat, although the Broncos' defense did almost all of the heavy lifting. Newton's inability to hang on to the ball decided that game.

Manning had a bad pick, and all that was left of his was his football mind. In the end, he executed well enough to keep the Broncos afloat, although the Broncos' defense did almost all of the heavy lifting. Newton's inability to hang on to the ball decided that game.

Can was bad. The we had drops. It was not pretty

Archived