Was that the worst Super Bowl you've seen recently?

Dropped passes,  missed tackles,  crappy offensive line blocking,  Peyton Manning's 10 yard throws.  This one had it all.  In the first half Cam Newton had to do it all by himself.

Best parts of Superbowl 50 were Lady Gaga's National Anthem and the Heinz Weiner Dog commercial  (although Kevin Hart's commercial was close)

The superbowl is the most overhyped athletic event in the world and it rarely lives up to expectations.  NFL Channel's coverage started at 6 A.M. in the morning.

Seeing Elway reminded me how much KC dislikes Denver.   

The Manning comeback will be the #1 feature story on ESPN eclipsing Eric Barry.   So now we will be subject to an deluge of Manning feel good stories and will have to watch tons of talking heads talk about Von Miller and Aqib Talib.  BARRRFFFFF.

To give credit where it belongs;

1.  Peyton Manning is a class act.  He beats KC routinely fair and square.  If we were a better football team we have the solution to beat him more often.  Assuming he retires after this,  we have only beaten him twice.  He doesn't do a dance or show off.   Glad for him.

2.  Elway,  despite how KC feels about him,  has done a really great job of restocking the Broncos and keeping them under the cap.   Since the Superbowl loss two years ago he fired John Fox and signed some really impact players on defense.  Ware and Talib are two of the anchors of the Denver defense and add that to Von Miller,  they are indeed a formidable defense....which they were not two years ago.

3.  Victory proves that you can win a superbowl with a great defense.  I have always believed this.  Seems to be KC's formula as well.

Finally KCSL posted in another thread about better to go out in the playoffs than to lose in the Superbowl.  I agree with this.  Pop, Bil, Jet, and I and a few others can still remember 50 years ago when KC got demolished in Superbowl 1.  Yes the Chiefs had the added burden of being the first and representing all the AFL.  But the amount of talk after the game about how Superior the Packers were in that game bordered on insufferable.  I don't think our victory in Superbowl IV was enough to pacify the KC fans.  And to this day we still carry it around.  Willie Wood and Max McGee are still saluted as the heroes while Willie Mitchell and Fred Williamson are the goats.

Another Superbowl passes.  Another milestone.  Another disappointment about what is usually a crappy football game.

Dropped passes,  missed tackles,  crappy offensive line blocking,  Peyton Manning's 10 yard throws.  This one had it all.  In the first half Cam Newton had to do it all by himself [...].

In the first half Cam Newton's defense didn't win the game for him.

I'm not happy that Denver won. I'm happy that a very incomplete quarterback [who happened to be very brash] got shown up as anything but super. Cam Newton was the reason his defense couldn't win the game for him. You can't give up a scoop-six and expect to win a game.

A loss by the Panthers was Cam Newton's loss, and you could see all over his face that the moment was too big for him, and that he didn't have any answers. His throws were off-target all day (as they often are).

Defense wins championships. So does having a pocket quarterback. Cam Newton is not a pocket quarterback.

All of the talk has been about how the NFC was superior to the AFC. It did not seem that way Sunday. Denver's defense did not allow Carolina to get much traction. Carolina's defense was not good enough to stop Denver's weak running attack, and an aging Peyton Manning. 

I got the sense the Chiefs could have beat Carolina. The difference between Denver and Kansas City this year was Denver finished. Kansas City failed to finish Denver off in their second game of the season. The Chiefs went into a swoon. Sure, they faced tough teams. Championship teams win those games, and definitely do not lose five straight. Yet, the Chiefs came back to win ten regular season games in a row, and a playoff game (for the first time since 1994). 

For all the talk of Tamba Hali being old, Ware, of Denver, is older (34). For all the talk Alex Smith isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl game, Peyton Manning currently has a much weaker arm than Smith. For all the talk about the miscues of Andy Reid, Denver's new head coach, Kubiak, previous to this year in Denver, had a losing record as a coach. Out of eight seasons, all with the Texans, Kubiak registered two 8 and 8 seasons, three losing sshaneasons, and only three winning seasons. His team won 2 playoff appearances, and lost 2. Kubiak was fired, mid-season. Kubiak's team won the first two games, and lost the next twelve games in a row. 

The Chiefs need at least one more receiver. They need to sign some of their old guys, and let a few others go. They need to do well in the draft, and maybe sign a free agent or two. They need to do it now. Time is not on their side. The window is closing. Their #1 pick last year, Marcus Peters had a fantastic rookie season. He is also a wannabe thug. The Chiefs have two or three seasons before this apple turns sour. They need to get all they can out of him before his rookie contract is done. 

Manning will not return next year. His $4 M bonus (for beating New England, and Carolina) will count against Denver's 2016 Cap. Still, the Broncos have 19 million little reasons to cut Peyton Manning. A well trained orangutan with a decent twenty yard arm can lead that team with their defense. Manning was only special in that he was a relic of the past. His arm could no longer throw an accurate thirty yard pass. Manning returned to starter as the wounded Osweiller proved he was not the answer. Still, Manning was not responsible for their improved running attack. He definitely did not help turn their defense up to the next level. 

For all the improvement Dee Ford made this season, Shane Ray was a better player in his rookie season than Ford was as a player in his second season. Dee Ford needs to learn one or two new moves or he will only be known as a speed rusher, who could not hold the edge. The Chiefs need a lot more than that when Tamba Hali finally hangs it up for the Chiefs. 

For all the talk of Tamba Hali being old, Ware, of Denver, is older (34).

DeMarcus Ware is also a far better player.

No one outside of Kansas City thinks these two players are even close to being in the same tier. The worst part is that Hali has been paid more in the past two years than DeMarcus Ware has been. The Chiefs have been shooting themselves in the foot with their brand of 'loyalty'. They could have gotten more out of that $20 million-plus than they ultimately did with Hali.

In the first half Cam Newton's defense didn't win the game for him.

I'm not happy that Denver won. I'm happy that a very incomplete quarterback [who happened to be very brash] got shown up as anything but super. Cam Newton was the reason his defense couldn't win the game for him. You can't give up a scoop-six and expect to win a game.

A loss by the Panthers was Cam Newton's loss, and you could see all over his face that the moment was too big for him, and that he didn't have any answers. His throws were off-target all day (as they often are).

Defense wins championships. So does having a pocket quarterback. Cam Newton is not a pocket quarterback.

Cam Newton got some chances, but was inaccurate on many of his throws. As the game progressed, I became aware that Cam had never faced a defense as stout as that of Denver. Cam Newton's offensive line was bad. As bad as it got for the Chiefs, Carolina's line was worse. Michael Blindside Oher was recruited by Cam Newton to play LT. Blindside had not played much LT in the NFL. Coaches figured out he could not move quick enough against a speed rusher in the NFL. Oher was thought to be a mediocre RT. Other than Kalil (who is a decent Center), Oher is their best player on their line. The rest are garbage. Their RG was a third rounder, who would not make the Chiefs' roster. Their LG and RT were undrafted, and unspectacular. Their replacements were even worse. That was not an effective offensive line. They could not match up against a good defense. Despite having a nice pair of running backs, there was literally no room to run. There was no time to pass, and Denver (mostly) kept a spy on Cam to ensure he was contained. 

If KC played Carolina, the score would be close to the same. That is the shame of it all. Kansas City had their chance this season. All they had to do was to win one more game in the regular season. The should have beat Chicago, Denver at home, and Minnesota. Instead, they soiled their pants, and went into a coma. One more win, and KC would have had home field in the playoffs. New England would not have been allowed to cheat. The Chiefs also suffered some untimely injuries at the end of the season. 

No one outside of Kansas City thinks these two players are even close to being in the same tier. The worst part is that Hali has been paid more in the past two years than DeMarcus Ware has been. The Chiefs have been shooting themselves in the foot with their brand of 'loyalty'. They could have gotten more out of that $20 million-plus than they ultimately did with Hali.

Ware may retire after this year. That is my point. Tamba Hali took a pay cut, but the Chiefs overpaid for his services earlier. He was the heart and soul of the team. I think, even more so than Houston. Tamba's biggest asset has always been his heart. He has a non stop motor. He is not the most gifted athlete. Ware is a much better athlete. However, as a player, give me Tamba. Ware got a lot of help from those around him. He doesn't have the heart that Hali possesses. 

Cam Newton got some chances, but was inaccurate on many of his throws. As the game progressed, I became aware that Cam had never faced a defense as stout as that of Denver. Cam Newton's offensive line was bad. As bad as it got for the Chiefs, Carolina's line was worse. Michael Blindside Oher was recruited by Cam Newton to play LT. Blindside had not played much LT in the NFL. Coaches figured out he could not move quick enough against a speed rusher in the NFL. Oher was thought to be a mediocre RT. Other than Kalil (who is a decent Center), Oher is their best player on their line. The rest are garbage. Their RG was a third rounder, who would not make the Chiefs' roster. Their LG and RT were undrafted, and unspectacular. Their replacements were even worse. That was not an effective offensive line. They could not match up against a good defense. Despite having a nice pair of running backs, there was literally no room to run. There was no time to pass, and Denver (mostly) kept a spy on Cam to ensure he was contained. 

If KC played Carolina, the score would be close to the same. That is the shame of it all. Kansas City had their chance this season. All they had to do was to win one more game in the regular season. The should have beat Chicago, Denver at home, and Minnesota. Instead, they soiled their pants, and went into a coma. One more win, and KC would have had home field in the playoffs. New England would not have been allowed to cheat. The Chiefs also suffered some untimely injuries at the end of the season. 

Alex Smith has played with offenses just as limited as what the Panthers fielded in the Super Bowl. The difference was in which player was the one responsible for losing a game the defense gave a winning effort in.

Cam Newton does not get a pass. He gave up a bad strip-sack to start off the game. His failure to jump on the ball at the end of the game after his second fumble provides the signature evidence that Cam is not a grinder. He can win a game that his team has won for him, and he'll make a play now and then (in part because his offensive line generally has opened up running lanes after giving up four or more seconds in the pocket). He is not a leader in the clutch (and you saw it on his face from the second quarter onward).

You could still do worse in the NFL than Cam Newton (Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick), but he's not a better quarterback than those that belong in the Top 10, including Carson Palmer. He earned the MVP nod through big statistical performances against terrible teams.

And von miller is more talented than Houston.

Ware may retire after this year. That is my point. Tamba Hali took a pay cut, but the Chiefs overpaid for his services earlier. He was the heart and soul of the team. I think, even more so than Houston. Tamba's biggest asset has always been his heart. He has a non stop motor. He is not the most gifted athlete. Ware is a much better athlete. However, as a player, give me Tamba. Ware got a lot of help from those around him. He doesn't have the heart that Hali possesses. 

I'm not sure what your basis is for arguing that Hali has the better "heart". I've not heard criticism of Ware's passion for the game or of Ware's motor. Von Miller + DeMarcus Ware are better than Justin Houston + Tamba Hali, but supposedly Houston was supposed to 'help' as his $100 million contract suggests.

You can't cut all of your veterans. You can however be fair in your evaluative processes, and there's just nothing that suggests that between the tangibles and the intangibles that Hali measures favorably against Ware in any way. Had the Chiefs let Hali go to start off this year, their cap situation would have been better by $4 million.

And von miller is more talented than Houston.

But if the Broncos re-sign him, they'll get him for just over $100 million/6 years. That goes back to John Dorsey. Many Kansas City fans hailed the Justin Houston signing as a big relief. Von Miller is about to make all such fans look silly.

Guest Okiechief1

Finally KCSL posted in another thread about better to go out in the playoffs than to lose in the Superbowl. I agree with this. Pop, Bil, Jet, and I and a few others can still remember 50 years ago when KC got demolished in Superbowl 1. Yes the Chiefs had the added burden of being the first and representing all the AFL. But the amount of talk after the game about how Superior the Packers were in that game bordered on insufferable. I don't think our victory in Superbowl IV was enough to pacify the KC fans. And to this day we still carry it around. Willie Wood and Max McGee are still saluted as the heroes while Willie Mitchell and Fred Williamson are the goats.

I would like to find out if I would feel that way or not cause right now I would love to see them get there even if that meant losing. Would like to see them at least play in one.

Closest I can come to that is 1980 when the Royals lost the WS to Phillies. Hated that they lost but loved seeing them on the big stage as well.

Guest Okiechief1

But if the Broncos re-sign him, they'll get him for just over $100 million/6 years. That goes back to John Dorsey. Many Kansas City fans hailed the Justin Houston signing as a big relief. Von Miller is about to make all such fans look silly.

He is going to want closer Suh money than JH. He was MVP of the SB and was a big reason why they got there and won, he won't ever be in a better bargaining position and he will use it to his advantage.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.

He is going to want closer Suh money than JH. He was MVP of the SB and was a big reason why they got there and won, he won't ever be in a better bargaining position and he will use it to his advantage.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.

He will be franchise tagged. For a franchise like the Broncos that can attract top free agents for less than top-tier money, they will not give Von Miller a Joe Flacco-type deal (within the structure of comparable outside linebacker contracts as opposed to those of league quarterbacks). I also don't believe that the Broncos will cave in to any kind of threat of a holdout. If it looks like the Broncos are going to end up in cap trouble, they're coming off of a Super Bowl win. They can blow the whole thing up and start over, and the fans wouldn't complain that much.

Yeah dude, this Von Miller situation will be interesting...  The guy has played himself into a big contract, but Elway is smart, he will only do what is best for Denver, and that may be letting Von walk or playing hardball with Von to get his demands down.  Either way should be fun to see it play out.

Von Miller is one hell of a football player.

Denver looked like the Chiefs of the 1990's yesterday.

Ware and Miller were impersonating Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas.....

Denver's Offense was impersonating the Ravens back in the day too.

w

I would like to find out if I would feel that way or not cause right now I would love to see them get there even if that meant losing. Would like to see them at least play in one.

Closest I can come to that is 1980 when the Royals lost the WS to Phillies. Hated that they lost but loved seeing them on the big stage as well.

I don't want to be blown out and close losses eat at me. Put it on the big stage and I don't want it. Note that I am picking between losing and losing, obviously I do want to go to one and win.

Archived