Alex smith

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Michael Crabtree: Who would have thought that Jeremy Maclin woulda been a good fit for Alex Smith. Them guys hitting it off like that, it's chemistry, man. Great fit.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2016/5/5/11602324/michael-crabtree-who-would-have-thought-that-jeremy-maclin-would-be-a?client=safari#

crabtrees an asshole..he's always took shots at smith..

he's only good as a #2..underneath he can make a few moves and pick up YAC...not a deep threat...or sure handed..

Alex Smith was voted by players as #81 on the Top 100 List. I think this is the first time he's been on the list.

Colin Kaepernick's been on the list twice, and placed 81st in both years. Two years later, he's a poor training camp and being depth charted behind a healthy quarterback away from being out of the league entirely.

Based on past poll results, the players polled for these lists are unqualified to vote. Smith is better than the 81st-most important player in the league.

Alex Smith was voted by players as #81 on the Top 100 List. I think this is the first time he's been on the list.

I heard Gonzo and a few others a few years back mention that they had no clue who voted for this, they never did. I believe this is just a popularity thing like the Pro Bowl.

I was thinking about Alex on my drive into work this morning. What if he had a stable offensive coordinator like Reid for his first five years in the league? What if he had played in a system early in his career that augmented his strengths like the one in KC? He might have had a completely different career. He might have even been elite. I believe a lot of a QBs ability to succeed is based on being in the right situation. 

I was thinking about Alex on my drive into work this morning. What if he had a stable offensive coordinator like Reid for his first five years in the league? What if he had played in a system early in his career that augmented his strengths like the one in KC? He might have had a completely different career. He might have even been elite. I believe a lot of a QBs ability to succeed is based on being in the right situation. 

In San Francisco, what you describe here is to this day referred to as "Alexcuses". The basic philosophy on this is that 'elite quarterbacks are born, not made', but you can't substantiate such a view with factual anecdotes. Alex Smith was the first overall selection of 2005, so the expectation was that he would develop to become an elite player. The accepted history in San Francisco is now that the franchise set him up for failure: They didn't get him the necessary pieces for their offensive line (leading to many hits and injuries), they didn't get him the necessary continuity in coaching (seven offensive coordinators in seven years, with some offensive coordinators never coaching again in the league following their firing), and they didn't grant him the respect due a player around whom a franchise ought to be built (the head coach publicly called out the toughness of his quarterback a mere few weeks after a Grade Three Shoulder Separation).

Despite these hurdles, Smith has shown that he has not reached any sort of ceiling. With an improved supporting cast comes improved performance, and the Chiefs definitely have room to grow so as to have the pieces on offense that would be comparable to the record-setting squads employed by teams such as the 2011 Saints or the 2013 Broncos. In salvaging a legacy, Smith's lost years will be hard to overcome; it would take an incredible late career surge for him to be considered for the Hall of Fame. Even so, he has proven that he is one of the league's best quarterbacks. Every reasonable person can expect that a healthy Chiefs team can push beyond its achievements in 2015, and Alex Smith will be at the forefront of that.

In San Francisco, what you describe here is to this day referred to as "Alexcuses". The basic philosophy on this is that 'elite quarterbacks are born, not made', but you can't substantiate such a view with factual anecdotes. Alex Smith was the first overall selection of 2005, so the expectation was that he would develop to become an elite player. The accepted history in San Francisco is now that the franchise set him up for failure: They didn't get him the necessary pieces for their offensive line (leading to many hits and injuries), they didn't get him the necessary continuity in coaching (seven offensive coordinators in seven years, with some offensive coordinators never coaching again in the league following their firing), and they didn't grant him the respect due a player around whom a franchise ought to be built (the head coach publicly called out the toughness of his quarterback a mere few weeks after a Grade Three Shoulder Separation).

Despite these hurdles, Smith has shown that he has not reached any sort of ceiling. With an improved supporting cast comes improved performance, and the Chiefs definitely have room to grow so as to have the pieces on offense that would be comparable to the record-setting squads employed by teams such as the 2011 Saints or the 2013 Broncos. In salvaging a legacy, Smith's lost years will be hard to overcome; it would take an incredible late career surge for him to be considered for the Hall of Fame. Even so, he has proven that he is one of the league's best quarterbacks. Every reasonable person can expect that a healthy Chiefs team can push beyond its achievements in 2015, and Alex Smith will be at the forefront of that.

He won a lot of games for them. Bet they would love to have him back.

The 49er Organization is still in a state of disarray.  The Ownership group is dysfunctional, egocentric and inept.

Chip Kelly is a fresh coat of paint on a sinking ship.

We should also thank God for the Hunt Family......They are a class act.

w

He won a lot of games for them. Bet they would love to have him back.

Strangely, the Kaepologists do not regret the trade of Alex Smith. They even believe that Kaepernick will enjoy a renaissance under Chip Kelly's coaching, even though so many leading football experts have very clearly indicated that the Kelly offense suits a quarterback like Gabbert that can make quick reads, as opposed to the more athletic but mentally slower Kaepernick.

When he wasn't listed in years prior, I thought it was a meaningless list. So I guess I should stick to that. But if deciding whether to be or not, it's better he's in there.

When I saw Luck at 90 or so, I thought Smith would be snubbed again.

Strangely, the Kaepologists do not regret the trade of Alex Smith. They even believe that Kaepernick will enjoy a renaissance under Chip Kelly's coaching, even though so many leading football experts have very clearly indicated that the Kelly offense suits a quarterback like Gabbert that can make quick reads, as opposed to the more athletic but mentally slower Kaepernick.

It will be interesting, but would surprised if Kelly buys in to Kap.

hey jaws bought into kap!!...big time..

If only pundits were like investors: When they lost everything, they didn't get to play anymore. His credibility has taken a hit over Kaepernick, but as wrong as he was about Kaepernick, people will soon be seeking his opinion once again.

We are pinning down our travel arrangements to visit Arrowhead. It looks like we will be able to go to Chiefs vs. Saints. So it will be great to watch one of the best. most successful quarterbacks in the NFL. Oh and Drew Brees will be playing as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived