It's time for Aaron Murray or Tyler Bray to sink or swim

Adam Teicher ESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Unless the Kansas City Chiefs can pull off the improbable and persuade Robert Griffin III to become their backup quarterback next season, they don’t need to be spending any more money than they already are at that position in 2016.

That means it’s time for either Aaron Murray or Tyler Bray to be the primary backup to starting quarterback Alex Smith next season.

Aaron Murray has yet to play in a regular-season NFL game, but the Chiefs would like to see him or Tyler Bray emerge as the primary backup to Alex Smith in 2016. 

This will be Bray’s fourth season with the Chiefs, Murray’s third. Neither has played in a regular-season game, and Bray’s progress hasbeen stunted by injuries that kept him from practicing much of the last two years.

But the Chiefs brought them in, Bray as an undrafted free agent from Tennessee in 2013 and Murray as a fifth-round pick from Georgia in 2014, and nurtured them for a reason. This is it. It’s time for one or the other to serve a meaningful purpose, and a duel between them to be Smith’s primary backup would be one of the most interesting at Chiefs’ training camp.

The Chiefs were third in the NFL behind the Saints and Chargers in quarterback spending against the salary cap in 2015 at about $21.5 million. That included not only Smith and nominal spending for Murray and Bray but also a significant charge for last year’s backup, Chase Daniel.

Kansas City’s quarterback spending against the cap for 2016, as of now at least, drops to about $19.1 million, in large part because Daniel doesn’t have a contract and probably will become a free agent. That makes the Chiefs 12th in QB charges against the cap.

The Chiefs have too much to do with their available salary cap space to invest even more of it on quarterbacks. They have 10 significant contributors from last season who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents and are better served using available cap space in that area. That’s why the Chiefs need either Murray or Bray to take a step forward soon.

I think we are fine. Probably a 4th to compete in case someone blows a knee out, but it will be a late pick or an off the street vet min type of guy. If they go QB early, it is a bad sign for Mr. Murray. I have no reason to think they have lost confidence in him.

I think we are fine. Probably a 4th to compete in case someone blows a knee out, but it will be a late pick or an off the street vet min type of guy. If they go QB early, it is a bad sign for Mr. Murray. I have no reason to think they have lost confidence in him.

unfortunately he nor Bray have not had a chance to impress either except in practice and a scarce few preseason games

That is true. I don't think a Cassel or McCown are going to get us many wins anyway. I am good getting young guys some snaps if Smith goes down. At least we KNOW they will fail. We know some FA retread will. They are both interesting prospects. Be a good preseason competition.

I bet we pick up a rook to throw in the mix in the later rounds. Not a big fan of throwing money at RG3 like one article suggests, but if the price is right.

That is true. I don't think a Cassel or McCown are going to get us many wins anyway. I am good getting young guys some snaps if Smith goes down. At least we KNOW they will fail. We know some FA retread will. They are both interesting prospects. Be a good preseason competition.

I bet we pick up a rook to throw in the mix in the later rounds. Not a big fan of throwing money at RG3 like one article suggests, but if the price is right.

Rg3's biggest problem is he never fully got healthy before coming back. That derailed him.

I think the Chiefs should definately consider him of the price is right. Andy Reid and 2 years behind Alex.

Archived