Chiefs use Franchise Tag on Berry

lets see him be a real team MVP by accepting a team friendly realistic pay structure

I agree, but to put in a little perspective, Smith after Bradford and Eli Manning signed and Fitzpatrick, Osweiller, and Luck and everybody are signed will be about the 18th to 20th QB in pay. He was tied for 14th/15th last year.

I wouldn't mind him pushing a little bit of the guaranteed to 2017. Sort of like Bradford can be cut for 8 million in dead money next year, we could do the same. If the numbers are wrong, switch it to less than eight. For example, cut this years salary by 2 to 4M and make 2 to 4M guaranteed in 2017. It wouldn't affect how much he would be paid in 2017 if we kept him. It would only guarantee him money if we cut him and that would be affordable with Murray's contract being low.

I don't think 2 to 4M is realistic, I'm just trying to illustrate that the numbers can change. I did read an author present the option of extending Smith that would give us money this year and guarantee him one more year. It will all depend on Reid and Dorsey on how they feel about Smith and the quarterbacks behind him.

Archived