The First Wave of RGIII & Chiefs Rumors

At least they included someone saying Reid likes him. I didn't like the idea that he would be a good fit because our coaches are good. Then, every QB would be a fit here because the coaches are good. I mean, I know people talk about his running ability and while he throws deep more than Smith and had a low INT number years back, he's not been praised for his accuracy. If it is an analysis of him being a WCO QB or Reid liking him, great. If it's "Reid is great with QBs," ehh...

At least they included someone saying Reid likes him. I didn't like the idea that he would be a good fit because our coaches are good. Then, every QB would be a fit here because the coaches are good. I mean, I know people talk about his running ability and while he throws deep more than Smith and had a low INT number years back, he's not been praised for his accuracy. If it is an analysis of him being a WCO QB or Reid liking him, great. If it's "Reid is great with QBs," ehh...

Radio did a piece on this weeks ago. A..P is just picking up the dropped horse crap in the road and filling in  with other tid bits. RGIII wont come cheap enough and would signal  a real doubt that  any of the back up s now are ready to be the #2

now comes the silly season

I'd put RG3 in KC at near nothing. I think he lands in Arizona.

There is a possibility the Chiefs end up with Manziel.

I don't anticipate the Chiefs actively shopping JC, but will definitely answer and engage in dialogue if another team inquires. I could see the Cowboys and Seahawks inquiring. If they something around a 3rd and a conditional pick, I think they would do it.

Jamaal is a great player, but this year may be it for him in KC if he were to stay. Getting picks and cap relief means a lot, when Ware and West have shown they can handle the load.

I expect Sean Smith, Jeff Allen and Howard to all leave. Smith to Oakland, Allen to Baltimore and Howard to Jaguars is my guess.

Potential releases are Fanaika (total turd) and Grubbs. Unless they retain a lot of guys, I look for them to go after a higher tier Offensive FA. Mitchell Schwartz seems like an Andy move and wouldn't be the first time he gave big money to a RT.

Fisher-Morse-Fulton-Reid-Schwartz

I also think Martellus Bennett could make sense here if the Bears release him.

The Chiefs will aim to start balancing the team spending, which had been Defense heavy.

They will also play the strengths of the draft in their favor. The draft is stacked so deep at CB and DL. Why invest 20 mil annually when you can get two guys in Day 2 - Early Day 3 to play those spots.

The Chiefs have shown that they can find DL talent, so continue to buy low. Chiefs can't drop 200 mil 1nto commits, had Howard and Poe got new deals. Gotta do some trimming somewhere.

This draft is also underrated at WR. Not an all-world talent, but plenty of starter probables in here. Late first is good range to take a WR in this draft.

Agree with the depth in this draft.  It sucks for Offense.  But, Defense is deep at damn near every position, and is the deepest DL crop I have ever seen.  Potential day one starters could be had on day 3.

Agree with the depth in this draft.  It sucks for Offense.  But, Defense is deep at damn near every position, and is the deepest DL crop I have ever seen.  Potential day one starters could be had on day 3.

Yeah, we must get one of those guys, probably with #28.  A position of need and great talent available.  A no brainer.  Probably means that Howard will be gone...or maybe not.

As for liquidfriend's ideas about backup QB, both of those are lunacy. You don't spend three years developing your own guys who have talent and then start from scratch.  We have to find out what Bray and Murray can do on the field against opponent's first units.  I seriously doubt we will shop Jamaal.  He is still the best RB, and you don't give those up unless you are desperate for picks, which we are not. RB's go down like flies.  I also think that WR needs are already on our team and on the upward curve. This year we shore up the lines, D-line first because of the talent available, and O-line because of the need.

I am a Jamaal fan. But, I am also a realist, and RB is the most expendable position in the NFL. They can keep him, trade him, cut him, whatever. Makes no difference to me. A West/Ware combo is good enough.

I am in agreement with most of the thread....

Defense wins Championships and we are in the midst of a rebuild there.

Hali, Devito, DJ, Sean Smith.....Lots of pieces need to be replaced or resigned.

I do not see KC spending a ton on Offense this off season.

Aaron Murray seems to be capable enough at QB and I do not see Johnny "I got major problems" coming cheap.

RGIII is not a West Coast QB that can step in for Smith....

w

I'd put RG3 in KC at near nothing. I think he lands in Arizona.

There is a possibility the Chiefs end up with Manziel.

I don't anticipate the Chiefs actively shopping JC, but will definitely answer and engage in dialogue if another team inquires. I could see the Cowboys and Seahawks inquiring. If they something around a 3rd and a conditional pick, I think they would do it.

Jamaal is a great player, but this year may be it for him in KC if he were to stay. Getting picks and cap relief means a lot, when Ware and West have shown they can handle the load.

I expect Sean Smith, Jeff Allen and Howard to all leave. Smith to Oakland, Allen to Baltimore and Howard to Jaguars is my guess.

Potential releases are Fanaika (total turd) and Grubbs. Unless they retain a lot of guys, I look for them to go after a higher tier Offensive FA. Mitchell Schwartz seems like an Andy move and wouldn't be the first time he gave big money to a RT.

Fisher-Morse-Fulton-Reid-Schwartz

I also think Martellus Bennett could make sense here if the Bears release him.

there is not a team out there that would take a chance on Manziel, dude has too much baggage now

I wasn't able to track it down, but I remember a story from Robert Griffin III's rookie year that suggested that his distance per pass attempt in the red zone were best measured in inches rather than yards.

Give me pocket quarterbacks all day. Griffin was great as a fantasy quarterback just before his injury, and that was the end of him. As an NFL quarterback, he was all potential, but the production he did have was unsustainable. In his lone playoff appearance, he made a couple of short touchdown completions on his first two drives, but the Seahawks locked in on him after that, and he did almost nothing on his following six drives up to the play where he tore his ACL trying to pick up a terrible snap. If Griffin's career had continued unimpaired, there are significant questions as to whether he actually would have progressed as a pocket quarterback, or whether his career would have followed the arc of the very similar Colin Kaepernick: The offense made the quarterback statistically prolific, whereas the quarterback was not the driving force of the offense. Read option plays can still be run as part of an offensive package, but an offense built almost exclusively off of those principles is unsustainable in the current NFL.

I am in agreement with most of the thread....

Defense wins Championships and we are in the midst of a rebuild there.

Hali, Devito, DJ, Sean Smith.....Lots of pieces need to be replaced or resigned.

I do not see KC spending a ton on Offense this off season.

Aaron Murray seems to be capable enough at QB and I do not see Johnny "I got major problems" coming cheap.

RGIII is not a West Coast QB that can step in for Smith....

w

Looks like Dallas for RG III

You don't know Andy Reid then. He signed a convicted felon and made him a starting QB.

I guess, but I don't think it's the same thing - worrying about whether Vick was going to be convicted again or whether Johnny would get in trouble, commit or not, etc. It's not just the drinking, once you get in trouble for domestic violence, Its pretty hard to get signed without having proved anything before. Ray Rice proved something by playing well, but no one's really touched him since. Obviously Johnny's incident wasn't as big or public, so he has that going for him.

I wouldn't say that Reid would not sign him, but I don't think it's likely. I wouldn't go as far as saying that no one would, because there's potential, I don't think it will be the Chiefs.

Andy Reid is willing to take risks on some great or potentially great players who may have certain types of non-violent personal difficulties.  But he is not certifiably insane.  Any talk about Manziel coming to the Chiefs can only be the result of odd signals received from Neptune.

I guess, but I don't think it's the same thing - worrying about whether Vick was going to be convicted again or whether Johnny would get in trouble, commit or not, etc. It's not just the drinking, once you get in trouble for domestic violence, Its pretty hard to get signed without having proved anything before. Ray Rice proved something by playing well, but no one's really touched him since. Obviously Johnny's incident wasn't as big or public, so he has that going for him.

I wouldn't say that Reid would not sign him, but I don't think it's likely. I wouldn't go as far as saying that no one would, because there's potential, I don't think it will be the Chiefs.

Ray Rice wasn't playing well before the video and played the most expendable position.

Andy Reid is willing to take risks on some great or potentially great players who may have certain types of non-violent personal difficulties.  But he is not certifiably insane.  Any talk about Manziel coming to the Chiefs can only be the result of odd signals received from Neptune.

What part about killing dogs isn't violent?

"What part about killing dogs isn't violent"? 

That is a really good point, LF.  I guess the only retort I can think of is that he was enabling other dogs to kill dogs and profiting from it rather than him hitting or beating up his girlfriend.  There is some difference, but your point is well taken.  Personally, I don't like Vick at all, and for the same reason you stated. As an animal lover, I was appalled and cannot imagine the Chiefs ever wanting Vick.

I don't think there was a risk of recidivism with dog fighting. I suppose he could go into illegal fight clubs or gambling, but the risk for the Eagles wasn't the same, as he wasn't at risk for further suspension or repeating the act. Now, Johnny shows no reasonable sign that he won't get suspended again, that he will take football seriously (along with working on some things), that he won't repeat the incident with his ex-girlfriend and partying.

Do I care if he parties? No. But it's a reality that it will affect what type of situation the team that signs him will have when he parties (and does nothing wrong), and when he does do something wrong. Maybe Rice declined before his incident, but Johnny hasn't done anything in this league. Potential's great but only if you believe he will commit to achieve it and be eligible to play. Unfair? Maybe, but we're talking about likelihood of us signing him. The unfairness is part of it and I don't think the Vick situation is analogous.

Archived