Tamba Hali, Chiefs strike a deal: 3 more years!

Tamba Hali is coming back! The Kansas City Chiefs and Tamba's camp have reached agreement on a three-year contract. Wow.

Can you imagine Tamba playing for any other team? I can't and that's why I'm not all that surprised that something happened. Tamba's contract was re-done in order to bring him back last year. That contract voided earlier this week which left the Chiefs with a $4 million cap charge. So the Chiefs will pay that on top of whatever Tamba's new deal is.

Three more years!

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/3/8/11180590/tamba-hali-chiefs-strike-a-deal-3-more-years

More worrisome than anything, this deal screams: "Dee Ford was a mistake". Unfortunate.

Hogwash. Ford showed toward the end of the season that all he needed was more playing time. He put the team on his back and won the Chargers game, and before anybody says "it was against a backup", that's what great players do against backups. You don't take away Reggie White's, LT's, Justin Houston's, Jared Allen's, or any other pass rusher's sacks because they were against backups, so don't discount Ford's.

Hogwash. Ford showed toward the end of the season that all he needed was more playing time. He put the team on his back and won the Chargers game, and before anybody says "it was against a backup", that's what great players do against backups. You don't take away Reggie White's, LT's, Justin Houston's, Jared Allen's, or any other pass rusher's sacks because they were against backups, so don't discount Ford's.

So you really believe that the Chiefs have confidence in Dee Ford? This will be his third year in the league, and he still won't be starting.

So you really believe that the Chiefs have confidence in Dee Ford? This will be his third year in the league, and he still won't be starting.

Yes, I really believe they do. They didn't draft him to come in and start as a rookie. They took him because they felt he was the BPA. It ain't like he was playing behind a scrub. Tamba had one of his best years when Ford was a rookie, so they weren't gonna bench him just because they drafted Dee. No way he doesn't get double-digit sacks if he starts all year. He'll get more reps than Tamba in '16 and continue to improve.

Yes, I really believe they do. They didn't draft him to come in and start as a rookie. They took him because they felt he was the BPA. It ain't like he was playing behind a scrub. Tamba had one of his best years when Ford was a rookie, so they weren't gonna bench him just because they drafted Dee. No way he doesn't get double-digit sacks if he starts all year. He'll get more reps than Tamba in '16 and continue to improve.

I agree.

This is a good deal.

Chiefs found out what happens when one of your pass rushers, Houston, is injured. Pass Rush is maybe the most important thing for a defense. Thus Depth is Critical. 

There is truth to that..  

I guess we will know once we see how much Dee sees the field this year.  If he is still playing less than Tamba, it will all be very apparent he was a wasted Number 1.

3 years, $22 million, $12 million guaranteed is what I heard on the radio this morning. This is disappointing. So around to 20 million in cap space used up this year on Hali and Berry.

If we lose DJ and Smith, this will have been a very bad off season for our team. Hali and Berry are great leaders and fan favorites but not not really impact players. Both of which have players behind them that will result in little drop off and arguably an improvement.

DJ and Smith have no one behind them that can even come close to replacing them. I am venting, but it frustrates me.

3 years, $22 million, $12 million guaranteed is what I heard on the radio this morning. This is disappointing. So around to 20 million in cap space used up this year on Hali and Berry.

If we lose DJ and Smith, this will have been a very bad off season for our team. Hali and Berry are great leaders and fan favorites but not not really impact players. Both of which have players behind them that will result in little drop off and arguably an improvement.

DJ and Smith have no one behind them that can even come close to replacing them. I am venting, but it frustrates me.

In a world where Character Counts for Nothing you may have a point? Real World CHaracter Does Count. Smith no character Berry Defines Character....Hali Too. Both are very good players and awesome leaders.

I will be happy if we keep DJ.  I knew we couldn't afford Smith. 

I don't agree with the classification of Smith as a low character guy.  One DUI in a seven year career is not that bad. Hell, people loved J. Allen and he had a DUI and suspension.  The dude is a stud and as good as any CB in the league.  Other than the suspension, he has only missed one game in his career.  He brings it every game and calls himself out when he screws up.  The guy has plenty of character.  Not everyone can measure up the Berry and Hali in that category.

Archived