What a day!

Dorsey has earned his check today. I never would have thought that we would come out of Free Agency retaining DJ, Howard, and Tamba. Then signing Schwartz, and not done yet on Smith. Zombo is a solid re-signing.

The tampering horseshit puts a damper on it, but overall, a good day.

I guess I understand why Jeff Allen left, but would have liked it if he could have been retained.

Allen was coming around last year, but has spent a lot of time on the injury list. The bigger picture may be the Chiefs could not afford to put too much money at LG. Ben Grubbs is going to get paid, regardless if the Chiefs have him on their roster or not. So, it makes some sense to go with Grubbs. If Grubbs is healthy, he is a better player (on paper).

Right now it seems this will be the starting lineup for the Chiefs

LT Eric Fisher

LG Ben Grubbs

C  Mitch Morse

RG LDT

RT Mitchell Schwartz

Off the bench

C/G Zach Fulton

G/T Jah Reid

I approve. I haven't seen the contracts yet, but based on the terms and average dollars per year numbers, these are manageable.

If you had asked me two weeks ago if the Chiefs would manage to retain Berry, Howard, Johnson, and Hali, and poach The Better Schwartz, I would have said it was not possible.

With these signings, here is the projected lineup before draft day:

QB: Alex Smith

HB: Jamaal Charles

FB: Anthony Sherman

WR: Jeremy Maclin

WR: Chris Conley (projected to overtake Albert Wilson)

TE: Travis Kelce

LT: Eric Fisher

LG: Ben Grubbs

C: Mitch Morse

RG: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

RT: Mitchell Schwartz (projected to overtake Jah Reid)

LE: Jaye Howard

DT: Dontari Poe

RE: Allen Bailey

LOLB: Justin Houston

LILB: Derrick Johnson

RILB: Josh Mauga

ROLB: Tamba Hali

LCB: Marcus Peters

RCB: Phillip Gaines (promoted with the departure of Sean Smith)

SS: Ron Parker

FS: Eric Berry

There aren't many teams that can maintain that degree of consistency through the free agency period. The Chiefs made an improvement to their offensive line, and probably at the cost of a cornerback that can be replaced partially at a much better value.

Things look bright for the Chiefs heading into 2016.

Long way to go in offseason rebuilding time frame. Chiefs are now a team good players want to play for. Late cuts give Chiefs a chance to ad more value. o-line still needs more help. Easy to forget how pathetic pass protection was especially against the better teams. 

This line is very young. They just need time. Fisher did well, Grubbs did well when healthy, morse was great and will only get better...right side was the problem and Schwartz made half of that go away. LDT, and Reid are young and inexperienced, but should improve. Throw in a draft pick or two for depth, maybe add a vet and the line will be amazing

This line is very young. They just need time. Fisher did well, Grubbs did well when healthy, morse was great and will only get better...right side was the problem and Schwartz made half of that go away. LDT, and Reid are young and inexperienced, but should improve. Throw in a draft pick or two for depth, maybe add a vet and the line will be amazing

In 2015, sub-standard center and right tackle play magnified the errors of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Conversely, increased experience and better conditioning for Mitch Morse and quality play from Mitchell Schwartz will mask any lingering weaknesses on the part of Doctor Guard.

It's very rare that a quality offensive line has five pro bowl talents. Now that the Chiefs have taken Schwartz, they can take a cornerback, a safety, a defensive end, and a wide receiver with their first four picks. They can pick late for an offensive lineman.

In 2015, sub-standard center and right tackle play magnified the errors of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Conversely, increased experience and better conditioning for Mitch Morse and quality play from Mitchell Schwartz will mask any lingering weaknesses on the part of Doctor Guard.

It's very rare that a quality offensive line has five pro bowl talents. Now that the Chiefs have taken Schwartz, they can take a cornerback, a safety, a defensive end, and a wide receiver with their first four picks. They can pick late for an offensive lineman.

Good post. With all of the signings today, the Chiefs really allow themselves some flexibility in the draft. Hopefully we can win appeal for that 3rd rounder.

I can't believe Dorsey pulled all of that off! I was so sure the Chiefs were going to let everyone walk. That lost third round pick is the only blemish on an otherwise incredible day for the Chiefs. With SS gone Gaines is really going to have to step up.

I can't believe Dorsey pulled all of that off! I was so sure the Chiefs were going to let everyone walk. That lost third round pick is the only blemish on an otherwise incredible day for the Chiefs. With SS gone Gaines is really going to have to step up.

A first round corner for sure, now.

Philip Gaines? 

I believe my esteemed comrade was saying that the Chiefs would look for a cornerback grading in the first-round in this year's draft, not that Phillip Gaines will perform like a cornerback drafted in the first round is expected to.

I believe my esteemed comrade was saying that the Chiefs would look for a cornerback grading in the first-round in this year's draft, not that Phillip Gaines will perform like a cornerback drafted in the first round is expected to.

I believe your esteemed comrade was saying we didn't need to draft a CB high because we had Phillip Gaines.

Mitch Morse was ranked in the top ten of all Centers in the NFL. Yet, he was a rookie, and had not played that position in a few years. Mitch Morse has short arms, which is a detriment to any position on the OL. However, if there is a position where a player handicapped with short arms can be effective, it is at the Center position. Mitch Morse is a Center, and a very good one. Zach Fulton is a Center and a decent Center (probably one of the best backup Centers in the league). Zach Fulton is not a particularly effective Guard. He moves good enough at Center, but not as a Guard.

LDT wasn't playing football before getting to college. He learned the game at a Canadian University. He has great size, and long arms. He moves well, and has incredible core strength. LDT did not play his first year in the league. He was horrible. I thought he could not make it because he was just so raw. The next year, he was much better. I did not think it was possible for him to improve that much. Last season, LDT was equivalent to a very good backup, who was called upon to start. If he does not improve from last season, he should not be a starter. However, I think he will. He has the potential to be a very good player in the NFL.

Jah Reid was all over the place last year. If you picked one player to make a video tape on technique, it would not be Jah Reid. He gets beat, and plays off balance. He also never gives up. His motor is non stop. He gets an A for effort, and that overcomes his poor technique. When Jah Reid was moved to RG, he was much better.

I would like the Chiefs to pick a Guard in the draft. They may already have someone on their team. The Chiefs are very good at developing talent.  

Archived